Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2017, 06:05 PM   #1
Dj.dale
Registered Member

PH is low?

Ok I am just out of ideas and don't know what else to do . My parameters are Cal 440, alk 10 dkh, and Mag 1475 . I have plenty of flow with the top of water breaking . I have my skimmer air intake coming from outside . I am also dosing Kalk . So why is it that I can't get my PH above 7.95 and the night goes down to 7.75 . I even have a 4 port airpump with a wooden air stone to produce micro bubbles and still get it to rise . What else can I do ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dj.dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj.dale View Post
Ok I am just out of ideas and don't know what else to do . My parameters are Cal 440, alk 10 dkh, and Mag 1475 . I have plenty of flow with the top of water breaking . I have my skimmer air intake coming from outside . I am also dosing Kalk . So why is it that I can't get my PH above 7.95 and the night goes down to 7.75 . I even have a 4 port airpump with a wooden air stone to produce micro bubbles and still get it to rise . What else can I do ?

Also even tried Co2 Scrubber and left windows open that didn't work

Unread 10/10/2017, 06:11 PM   #3
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:

The air pump isn’t going to do anything for you unless it’s a small tank. However; this will do the trick:

Port your intake to the skimmer so that it sucks air from outside and a canister filled with sodalime. As the sodalime gets exhausted it turns purple. Some sodalime is better than others. Also, make sure that where your sucking air from outside there is nothing getting into the input like any fertilizer material, or anything else you can think of.

See a pic of mine:

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 06:14 PM   #4
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tts View Post
The air pump isn’t going to do anything for you unless it’s a small tank. However; this will do the trick:

Port your intake to the skimmer so that it sucks air from outside and a canister filled with sodalime. As the sodalime gets exhausted it turns purple. Some sodalime is better than others. Also, make sure that where your sucking air from outside there is nothing getting into the input like any fertilizer material, or anything else you can think of.

See a pic of mine:

If the sodalime doesn’t work you have something else going on there. Example, without sodalime my tank will drop to 7.85 with sodalime it gets all the way to 8.2 - huge night and day difference, plus my skimmer runs much better and skins much more as the bubbles are tighter.

Unread 10/10/2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tts View Post

See a pic of mine:

I have already tried that it's from Bulk Reef Supply Co2 Scrubber media changes to purple when exhausted . My skimmer intake air line is coming from the outside

Unread 10/10/2017, 06:17 PM   #6
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
I have already tried that it's from Bulk Reef Supply Co2 Scrubber media changes to purple when exhausted . My skimmer intake air line is coming from the outside

You sure the probe you’re using is good and calibrated? I don’t see how a co2 scrubber is not helping you at all unless the co2 in your house is that high... albeit opening windows should of done the trick too.

Not sure, maybe someone else will chime in, good luck.

Unread 10/10/2017, 06:18 PM   #7
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Yeah I am using a double junction probe and it's calibrated . When I leave it in the 10 solution it reads 10

Unread 10/10/2017, 07:07 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

I would calibrate it with a pH 7 solution, as well, if it takes multiple calibration points, but that pH range is quite typical for a tank in a house. A lot of Tanks of the Month have run in that range. Personally, I'd just ignore the pH, but if I wanted to investigate further, I'd double-check the pH measurements and the alkalinity levels, and work from there. If the measurements are accurate and the alkalinity level is in the 7-10 dKH range, the problem is carbon dioxide in the water. Usually, that means carbon dioxide in the air, but surface films and skimmers that are out of adjustment sometimes cause problems.

Unread 10/12/2017, 12:27 AM   #9
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Ok. I might get some backlash, but here is my thoughts on low ph BESIDES the normal outside source ect..its really simply, not enough lightning cycle and par. Up lightning and see, many led users see this in closed homes because they ramp there lightning, whats your lightning schedule?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
Ok. I might get some backlash, but here is my thoughts on low ph BESIDES the normal outside source ect..its really simply, not enough lightning cycle and par. Up lightning and see, many led users see this in closed homes because they ramp there lightning, whats your lightning schedule?

Basically 80% all colors from 9 am till 2 pm then 20k look from 3 to 9 just blues royal blue

Unread 10/12/2017, 12:33 AM   #11
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

8.2 is fine many reefers would be happy w that, play w lightning and you can bring the low ph some, many times its timing and par, hids, t5s turn on fast and quickly starts photosynthesis, thats what controls ph. Your in good margin never the less..

Unread 10/12/2017, 01:17 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that photosynthesis can raise the pH during the day. I'd pick the lighting level to match what the corals want, though, rather than try to control pH that way. Lighting won't affect the night time pH, in any case.

Unread 10/13/2017, 10:17 AM   #13
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I agree that photosynthesis can raise the pH during the day. I'd pick the lighting level to match what the corals want, though, rather than try to control pH that way. Lighting won't affect the night time pH, in any case.
It will effect the overall numbers, will still have the swing, just able to get it into the 8.2 range, during day,

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Unread 10/13/2017, 11:53 AM   #14
Dj.dale
Registered Member

I have increased my lighting in last 2 days little longer and still no difference in PH

Unread 10/13/2017, 02:29 PM   #15
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Duration or par , or both, what's the lightning schedule?

Unread 10/13/2017, 02:32 PM   #16
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Unread 10/13/2017, 05:51 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
I have increased my lighting in last 2 days little longer and still no difference in PH
In many tanks, the carbon dioxide in the surrounding air drives the pH very strongly, and photosynthesis shows a limited effect.

Unread 10/14/2017, 01:59 AM   #18
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

What exactly is the calibration solution that you are using?

Unread 10/14/2017, 05:04 AM   #19
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Pinpoint 7 & 10 . After I calibrate it I leave it in the 10 and that's what it reads and put it in 7 and it reads that also

Unread 10/14/2017, 05:09 AM   #20
Dj.dale
Registered Member

See how low it gets durning the night . I have the skimmer line coming from the outside or if I use Co2 Scrubber still no change

Unread 10/14/2017, 09:54 AM   #21
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Go in to your classic dash and increase the sample rate to once a minute, your graph looks erratic, only time I've seen that is when I had a bad probe..

Unread 10/14/2017, 09:57 AM   #22
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

See how smooth

Unread 10/14/2017, 10:03 AM   #23
Dj.dale
Registered Member

Where is the sample rate in the classic dash ?

Unread 10/14/2017, 10:11 AM   #24
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Any stray voltage? Is the tank grounded? I have seen bad pumps effect the apex with stray voltage, just a thought..

Unread 10/14/2017, 10:14 AM   #25
Dj.dale
Registered Member

How do you change the sample rate to every minute