Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2013, 10:15 AM   #351
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwatercoral2 View Post
This light is awesome. I will be getting one after the holidays for my upcoming buidl, 36 x 24" x 18" tall. Leaning towards the 24" 4 bulb led/t5 fixture, what would you guys suggest for a bulb combo?
honestly, i don't think the bulb combo matters since the leds are able to simulate most of the bulb colors.

personally, i selected the t5s to complement colors i find lacking in most leds (the purple+/ge colors).

BTW, I've noticed people say the fans are very quiet. I think I must have a fan that's sticking because it is very, very loud. any ideas? took a peak and it looks like the noise is mainly coming from the fan over the led3 cluster. I don't see any screws that can be loosened.

roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 11:38 AM   #352
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Pull the aluminum housing up off of the fan with a pair of needle nose pliers or something like them.

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
flamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 11:50 AM   #353
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roni View Post
honestly, i don't think the bulb combo matters since the leds are able to simulate most of the bulb colors.

personally, i selected the t5s to complement colors i find lacking in most leds (the purple+/ge colors).
This is what I am trying to figure out right now. Do I want a T5 combo that I like individually or do I put as much spectrum in the T5s as I can and fine tune with the LEDs?

My thought is to run something like 2 Actinic and 2 Coral Plus to cover the full range and then blue up the LEDs to pop colors....this is a whole new ballgame. I had the LEDs set to Coral Plus yesterday and it really popped some reds and pinks that the T5s miss. It will take me a few days to really make everything perfect for me.

A question for everyone though.....

I brought my controller to my computer yesterday and set up a whole schedule. I plugged the controller back up to the lamp and thought it was running the program. When I got home late last night, it was running the default program with moonlights on.

What did I do wrong? Why didn't my schedule save? The software really needs a tutorial IMO.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 12:39 PM   #354
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

I'm gonna run 3 blue plus and a coral plus.

I have two blue plus and two aquablue special running right now. I've turned the LEDs down quite a bit, as I'm really trying to acclimate the coral in the tank. With the royal blues and blues up and the whites and reds only up a little I don't care for the color when the t5 bulbs get close to 100%

60g cube - Ghost Overflow - ATI 8 bulb dimmable sunpower - Apex - MP10s - Synergy sump
Unread 11/02/2013, 02:26 PM   #355
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamron View Post
Pull the aluminum housing up off of the fan with a pair of needle nose pliers or something like them.
That won't damage anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
This is what I am trying to figure out right now. Do I want a T5 combo that I like individually or do I put as much spectrum in the T5s as I can and fine tune with the LEDs?

My thought is to run something like 2 Actinic and 2 Coral Plus to cover the full range and then blue up the LEDs to pop colors....this is a whole new ballgame. I had the LEDs set to Coral Plus yesterday and it really popped some reds and pinks that the T5s miss. It will take me a few days to really make everything perfect for me.

A question for everyone though.....

I brought my controller to my computer yesterday and set up a whole schedule. I plugged the controller back up to the lamp and thought it was running the program. When I got home late last night, it was running the default program with moonlights on.

What did I do wrong? Why didn't my schedule save? The software really needs a tutorial IMO.
Ryan,
may be the blind leading the blind but I think what you have to do is "save to lamp" to load your new program into the lamp. It will go 0-100% and then should work.

I've got 3 b+ and a P+ coming on first (outer 4) and then a ge, coral+ and 2 b+ coming on after. I thought about going pure actinic initially but like the color combo so far, though my middle 2 leds are off right now until i get the fan fixed.

Unread 11/02/2013, 02:30 PM   #356
flamron
Professional Stick Gluer

Just the small piece of aluminum that is right over the fans. Mine was pushed down a bit and rubbing on the fans making them super loud. It doesn't take much to pull them off of the fan.

Unread 11/02/2013, 03:10 PM   #357
roni
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamron View Post
Just the small piece of aluminum that is right over the fans. Mine was pushed down a bit and rubbing on the fans making them super loud. It doesn't take much to pull them off of the fan.
cool, i'll try that. anyone have a good custom setting to simulate a b+/p+ dusk/dawn?

Unread 11/05/2013, 09:54 AM   #358
Wayner2
Registered Member

Just received my 24" fixture - ran it through demo mode to make sure everything is working properly and the fan over the LED cluster does not turn on - I checked to see if the grid was pressed down and it looks fine, I took a small screw driver and the fan spins freely.

The fan over the LED cluster is suppose to turn on during demo mode right?

Now what?

Wayner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 10:04 AM   #359
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner2 View Post
Just received my 24" fixture - ran it through demo mode to make sure everything is working properly and the fan over the LED cluster does not turn on - I checked to see if the grid was pressed down and it looks fine, I took a small screw driver and the fan spins freely.

The fan over the LED cluster is suppose to turn on during demo mode right?

Now what?
I don't think so. It is controlled by the thermostat and only turns on once the LEDs hit a certain temp.

I could definitely be wrong though.

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 11/05/2013, 10:20 AM   #360
loweryster
Registered Member

Set the time to 12pm and run the default program. Fan should run.

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93G Cube, 2 x Vortech MP40W, Bubble King Double Cone 180 / Mini RD3 DC Speedy Pump, Red Dragon 3 Mini Speedy 50w DC Return Pump, ATI 24 x 8 PM Hybrid , Apex, GHL 3 head doser, Zeovit system, Arctica 1/10 HP
loweryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 10:57 AM   #361
Wayner2
Registered Member

Been running the default program for 15 minutes now and the fan still hasn't come on

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:12 AM   #362
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Been running the default program for 15 minutes now and the fan still hasn't come on
I don't remember the exact temp the fan turns on but my LEDs get up to like 40°C during the day. It is definitely on at that point but my LEDs have been on for 6 hours at least.

Let me go run demo mode and see if the fan turns on.

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:21 AM   #363
Wayner2
Registered Member

Thanks - so it's been half hour now in demo mode which is just the LED cluster running - 5 min ago the 2 end fans kicked on and remain on but still no working fan over the LED cluster

I dunno - just not hot enough yet to kick on

Thanks guys for helping - just. Wanna make sure this middle fan is working before I hang it

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:25 AM   #364
Wayner2
Registered Member

T5 s are on guess that's why the end fans are constantly running

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:39 AM   #365
Wayner2
Registered Member

It says the LEDs are at 47.9 degrees C and still no fan

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:47 AM   #366
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
It says the LEDs are at 47.9 degrees C and still no fan
Are you sure? Not trying to beat a dead horse but the fan is super quiet and hard to tell it's running.

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:48 AM   #367
Wayner2
Registered Member

Well I just touched the fan blade with a screwdriver and it started running - so now it's on - so - was it just getting to a temp where it was about to come on? Cause I had moved the blades before and it didn't come on

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:51 AM   #368
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

During demo mode my fan never turned on for the LEDs.

Unread 11/05/2013, 11:58 AM   #369
Wayner2
Registered Member

I turned it off and will run it again later when it cools down, i'll watch to see if the fan kicks in when the LED cluster gets to around 49 degrees C - not sure if its written anywhere at what temp the LED fan kicks in but it should be, I was ready to send it back, or at least they should put something in start up instructions that says the LED fan will not run in demo mode and will only operate when a certain temp is reached- I thought I had a faulty fan.

Really appreciate your help guys!

Unread 11/05/2013, 12:02 PM   #370
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I turned it off and will run it again later when it cools down, i'll watch to see if the fan kicks in when the LED cluster gets to around 49 degrees C - not sure if its written anywhere at what temp the LED fan kicks in but it should be, I was ready to send it back, or at least they should put something in start up instructions that says the LED fan will not run in demo mode and will only operate when a certain temp is reached- I thought I had a faulty fan.

Really appreciate your help guys!
I'll have ATI North America on the phone soon and will ask them. It will be part of my review to include some advanced specs and a programming tutorial.

Unread 11/05/2013, 01:46 PM   #371
Oliver P.
Registered Member

Hi,

The fans over the LED clusters are controlled by a termostat and only turns on once the temperatur is 48° or higher. The fans over the T5-Lamps turns automatically on in order to hold the T5-Lamps at the best working point. So each fan will start when it is needed. LED and T5 are different. One of the advantages of the massive Aluminium Profil is that it can accumulate much heat energy. In this way the hybrid is in the confortable situation that the fans dont have to run all the time.

regards
Oliver

Oliver P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2013, 02:13 PM   #372
Wayner2
Registered Member

Thanks, that pretty much sums it up., while your here, anything new in the works? like for instance, rumour has it that there might be an I-pad App in the future?

Unread 11/05/2013, 08:03 PM   #373
roni
Premium Member

Okay, after 2 days of having this running, gotta say that I really, really like it. The mix of the LEDs and T5s is great and the unit is silent (after I did that fix flamron suggested).

Only bummers are the inability to control via apex and the like of the clip to hold the plexi in position (getting some sag towards the end of the day). I also wish I'd gotten more daylight T5 bulbs as the overall effect with all the lights on is a little bluer then I'm used to (i used 5 B+, 1 C+, 1 P+, 1 GE), Should have gone replaced 1 B+ with a GE in retrospect.

Unread 11/08/2013, 08:35 AM   #374
Wayner2
Registered Member

So, since I haven't had much time to play around with programming a light schedule - I was wondering, ATI has these custom programs for example Blue plus etc., can these be edited and saved - i'd like to use the Blue plus program they have but change the duration the LED's are on. i'd also like to add more blue and drop the white intensity down some.

Unread 11/08/2013, 06:19 PM   #375
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
So, since I haven't had much time to play around with programming a light schedule - I was wondering, ATI has these custom programs for example Blue plus etc., can these be edited and saved - i'd like to use the Blue plus program they have but change the duration the LED's are on. i'd also like to add more blue and drop the white intensity down some.
I will have a simple and basic tutorial up in the next week or so depending on how work goes.

The Blue Plus and other colors are preset by ATI. They can not be changed. They are meant to replicate the different ATI T5 bulbs. They do a decent job but I have just learned the color of each. They don't really match the bulbs to me but that is just my opinion.

You can setup 5 custom colors though. Just make sure that when you do this one of the 4 colors (White, Red, Royal Blue or Blue) is set to 255 and then adjust everything else from there. That is called "color mixing". You will then set the intensity above on the graph.

Let me know if you have any questions. I just did a full walk through with Greg from ATI North America on the software. It is super simple once you know what you are doing.

*****JUST MAKE SURE WHEN YOU LOAD THE GRAPH FROM THE SOFTWARE TO CHOOSE THE CORRECT ONE******

If your lamp has 1 LED, choose the 1 LED spot and so forth. You can mess up the control box if you save the wrong program to the box.