Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2017, 07:19 AM   #4651
Cammunoz
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Here is the growth in 2 months

before

after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 08:02 AM   #4652
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
Looks good! I have 4 t-5 that kick on for 4 hrs a day also. But I run 2-b+ and 2-purple+. But I may change the purples out to something else.

I'll let you know how the mix of the Hydra running AB+ and the 6500k bulbs turns out. If it works well it will be my go to lighting layout for the foreseeable future. I just love the look tank have when lit in the 8-12k range but have been unable to achieve it with LED without frying all of my corals lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 08:04 AM   #4653
buddah001
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
On a tank that size and only three lights the 24" profile is going to be needed for a mixed reef. Also no need to redo the schedule to move it. In the AI app go to the schedule put two fingers on the graph and move the whole schedule at once to the desired time. The same can be done in director with a click and scroll apparently.

OV do you think the lighting I have on my 135g is enough or would you recommend more?

RIP my 180g DT,75g sump,90g fuge, 3X250w MH w/Radiums,MSX300A drilled
buddah001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 08:36 AM   #4654
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah001 View Post
OV do you think the lighting I have on my 135g is enough or would you recommend more?

If the goal is an acropora dominant tank no. If you want lots of lps, softies and montipora with a few acros mixed in directly under the tank then no. You could always supplement with a few t5ho strips like @reeftub did and I have just done.

Unread 06/07/2017, 07:51 PM   #4655
buddah001
Registered Member

Quote:
If the goal is an acropora dominant tank no. If you want lots of lps, softies and montipora with a few acros mixed in directly under the tank then no. You could always supplement with a few t5ho strips like @reeftub did and I have just done.

OV so you are saying these lights are not good enough for even a mixed coral tank? I would like to have a mix of LPS AND SPS with a few nems. Not into the softies to much. Considering I have 2x 52's and a 26 what would you add to get the correct light?
I really do not mind the blue look I actually kind of enjoy it but not sure if it is going to slow the growth rate down.
What's your opinion?

RIP my 180g DT,75g sump,90g fuge, 3X250w MH w/Radiums,MSX300A drilled
buddah001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 08:05 PM   #4656
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddah001 View Post
OV so you are saying these lights are not good enough for even a mixed coral tank? I would like to have a mix of LPS AND SPS with a few nems. Not into the softies to much. Considering I have 2x 52's and a 26 what would you add to get the correct light?

I really do not mind the blue look I actually kind of enjoy it but not sure if it is going to slow the growth rate down.

What's your opinion?

No the lights are fantastic and are plenty good at growing coral. The issue with all LED lights lie with the face that the light originates from a single point. This causes shading and odd growth patterns when you start getting into branching sps coral. It's not that you don't have enough lighting on a tank your size from a power standpoint it's all about lighting the corals from all angles. The only way you can achieve this type of full lighting with LEDs is to add more point sources of light, thus more fixtures. The other option is to add a diffuse lighting option like T5HO to supplement the led lights. Once again this only becomes an issuer if you are planning on stocking your tank with branching sps coral.

On your other point about blue slowing growth that is not the case and not why I chose a low color temperature T5HO lamp to supplement with. I made that choice based entirely on the look of the tank. I much prefer a natural appearance to my tank and have been unable to successfully achieve that look with any LED lights. Trust me I have tried and fried a few hundred dollars worth of coral in the process lol.

Unread 06/11/2017, 05:43 AM   #4657
stevem650
Registered Member

I have a IM 25 Lagoon which is 24x20x12. I have a AI Hydra 26HD on the tank which is 12" AWL. I used to keep rock anemones so I had my light on a very low setting and the tank has been running for over a year. I am switching the tank to strictly SPS. Can anyone recommend the settings for my tank that would give the best possible settings for SPS? Thanks

Current Tank Info: RedSea Reefer 750
stevem650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 07:03 AM   #4658
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem650 View Post
I have a IM 25 Lagoon which is 24x20x12. I have a AI Hydra 26HD on the tank which is 12" AWL. I used to keep rock anemones so I had my light on a very low setting and the tank has been running for over a year. I am switching the tank to strictly SPS. Can anyone recommend the settings for my tank that would give the best possible settings for SPS? Thanks

Yes read through the last few pages of the thread and download my SPS AB+ 12" schedule. FYI, 1 Hydra 26 HD will not be enough for branching SPS long term due to shading. You should be good for the first year or so though

Unread 06/11/2017, 04:37 PM   #4659
stevem650
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes read through the last few pages of the thread and download my SPS AB+ 12" schedule. FYI, 1 Hydra 26 HD will not be enough for branching SPS long term due to shading. You should be good for the first year or so though

I downloaded the SPS AB+ 12 and it looks great. My concern is my tank is only
12" deep. Should I be concerned this setting might be to intense? Thanks

Unread 06/11/2017, 05:34 PM   #4660
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Just put it on acclimation mode 30% for 1 month or so. I have a prime hd running the 24" profile on my 15" deep anemone cube.

Unread 06/11/2017, 05:37 PM   #4661
stevem650
Registered Member

Quote:
Just put it on acclimation mode 30% for 1 month or so. I have a prime hd running the 24" profile on my 15" deep anemone cube.

Will do, Thanks

Unread 06/11/2017, 05:39 PM   #4662
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Will do, Thanks

By the way I love those lagoon tanks the dimensions are perfect. It would make a great clown and haddoni carpet nem tank.

Unread 06/11/2017, 05:50 PM   #4663
stevem650
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way I love those lagoon tanks the dimensions are perfect. It would make a great clown and haddoni carpet nem tank.

Quality of the tank is amazing. I updated the factory return pump to a sicce for more flow. Using the Hydra 26hd on it with bracket looks great

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2838.jpg (49.3 KB, 73 views)

Unread 06/11/2017, 06:24 PM   #4664
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Quality of the tank is amazing. I updated the factory return pump to a sicce for more flow. Using the Hydra 26hd on it with bracket looks great

Looks great! Can't wait to see it up and running

Unread 06/20/2017, 11:22 AM   #4665
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

ok, finally got my hydra 52 hd. going to use it on a 24x24x19 tank with mostly sps.

is the aip for sps the AB+12awl and AB+24awl found in the onedrive link a few pages back?

is there any write up or a little bit more detailed description on what the aip files are doing? Like why does the intensity go up and down every 20 minutes?

thanks.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 02:51 PM   #4666
bowfrontboy
Registered Member

I need some Hyra's

Unread 06/21/2017, 01:57 AM   #4667
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
ok, finally got my hydra 52 hd. going to use it on a 24x24x19 tank with mostly sps.

is the aip for sps the AB+12awl and AB+24awl found in the onedrive link a few pages back?

is there any write up or a little bit more detailed description on what the aip files are doing? Like why does the intensity go up and down every 20 minutes?

thanks.

Found this in ecotech website

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...ralLab_WP1.pdf

It describes the SPS AB+ schedule.
It does not contain any of that up and down every twenty minutes intensity change. Was that added randomly? What is the rationale behind that?

Unread 06/21/2017, 04:32 AM   #4668
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Found this in ecotech website

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/...ralLab_WP1.pdf

It describes the SPS AB+ schedule.
It does not contain any of that up and down every twenty minutes intensity change. Was that added randomly? What is the rationale behind that?

Yes that is the article/study by WWC and Ecotech that I based the AB+ schedule off of. I then built upon that and added what are called respiration peaks to the schedule which is essentially simulated cloud cover. Out in the real world corals do not receive 12 hrs a day of sun uninterrupted 365 days a year. Clouds often pass over providing a temporary reprieve from the intense sunshine. These periods of rest allow for periods throughout the day for the coral to divert resources to use the glucose produced during photosynthesis to make ATP during daylight hours. With constant intense lighting with no breaks you can theoretically hit a wall or photo-inhibition state where the coral has no more room to store glucose and photosynthesis will cease all together. The study you cited above vaguely touches on this by stating they reduced the amount of time they run their lights after they switched to LED lighting. The reason they ran into a wall and had to reduce the photoperiod is because of the way LED's produce light in specific radiation bands. Take Cree 450nm diodes for instance, they only produce light at the 450nm wavelength and nothing else. Exciting zooxanthelli in such specific high value bands of radiation is great because nothing is wasted but is bad because nothing is wasted. Thus the respiration peaks are added in an attempt to circumvent this limitation and allow for a full 12 hr photoperiod to maximize photosynthetic potential/growth. I hope that answers your question.

Unread 06/21/2017, 01:52 PM   #4669
cmw_
Registered Member

AI hydra52 setup

I'm curious about anyone running a mixed reef tank with the Hydra 52's. I have 8x AI Hydra 52's and 12x25w t5's on linear actuators. I have had the tank setup for nearly two years now and have never managed to get the lights above 20%. I haven't seen very good growth at the current levels. I have them positioned about 15-20" above the tank. If anyone else is running them on a similar setup I would love to hear about the results.

cmw_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 06:45 PM   #4670
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes that is the article/study by WWC and Ecotech that I based the AB+ schedule off of. I then built upon that and added what are called respiration peaks to the schedule which is essentially simulated cloud cover. Out in the real world corals do not receive 12 hrs a day of sun uninterrupted 365 days a year. Clouds often pass over providing a temporary reprieve from the intense sunshine. These periods of rest allow for periods throughout the day for the coral to divert resources to use the glucose produced during photosynthesis to make ATP during daylight hours. With constant intense lighting with no breaks you can theoretically hit a wall or photo-inhibition state where the coral has no more room to store glucose and photosynthesis will cease all together. The study you cited above vaguely touches on this by stating they reduced the amount of time they run their lights after they switched to LED lighting. The reason they ran into a wall and had to reduce the photoperiod is because of the way LED's produce light in specific radiation bands. Take Cree 450nm diodes for instance, they only produce light at the 450nm wavelength and nothing else. Exciting zooxanthelli in such specific high value bands of radiation is great because nothing is wasted but is bad because nothing is wasted. Thus the respiration peaks are added in an attempt to circumvent this limitation and allow for a full 12 hr photoperiod to maximize photosynthetic potential/growth. I hope that answers your question.

I wonder if the same principal can be applied to Radions? I have set the gen 4 Radions on my big tank to simulate the peaks like the Hhydras. Let's see how things work out.

Unread 06/21/2017, 08:27 PM   #4671
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
I wonder if the same principal can be applied to Radions? I have set the gen 4 Radions on my big tank to simulate the peaks like the Hhydras. Let's see how things work out.

I wouldn't see why not it will just take you and hr or two to sit down and add the points. The diodes used in the two lights are so similar you can basically port the values over and you should be good to go.

Unread 06/21/2017, 09:00 PM   #4672
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:

Yes thank you, that answers my question.

So what does the "weather" feature do? Doesn't that add cloud activity? And more randomly?

Unread 06/21/2017, 09:02 PM   #4673
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

AI Hydra Settings Thread

Quote:
Yes thank you, that answers my question.

So what does the "weather" feature do? Doesn't that add cloud activity? And more randomly?

Yes and stupid lighting strikes... When I first bought the lights I turned that feature on and thought I had a ghost in my house until I figured out it was the light . Also, it dims the light way too much ime.

Unread 06/22/2017, 09:39 PM   #4674
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

is there a way to view the power consumption in auto mode while schedule is runnng?

Also, for the AB+ 12awl, if I want to reduce the intensity, is there like a master intensity control that can lower the value by say 30%? or do I have to edit each point one by one and reduce the values of each of the seven channels?

also, anyone knows how the checksum is calculated in the aip/xml file?
I see the intensity of 1% is a value of 12, and it still seems bright and want to test setting it to a value of 1.

I am also trying to figure out the web interface api.
for instance, if you enter this on your webrowser

http://(your hydra ip)/api/colors

you get a response that looks like this
{"deep_red":0,"uv":0,"violet":0,"cool_white":0,"green":0,"blue":0,"royal":11,"response_code":0}

I suspect the intensity value is 10bit, so max value is 1023, although if you set a color to 100%, it shows as 999 when you run the query.

thanks

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 06/22/2017 at 10:05 PM.
Unread 06/23/2017, 10:43 AM   #4675
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes and stupid lighting strikes... When I first bought the lights I turned that feature on and thought I had a ghost in my house until I figured out it was the light . Also, it dims the light way too much ime.

I did a google search, and see that on their old controller (maybe for SOL?), the weather function can disable lightning effect. I wonder why they removed that option. I'll email their support and ask if they can restore that option in their next firmware update.