Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2010, 11:01 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Additional Qs on soft corals

I hve some button polyps, hair mushrooms, purple mushrooms, and xenia.

I was told by the person I got them from that they don't require any special nutrients or care. (other than standard stuff like managing filtration, and water quality).

So, do these types of corals require additional calcium or other nutrients? They seem o.k. A couple of the hair mushcrooms shriveled up and disappeared. But there's so many of them on one rock it may simply have been a crowding issue. The rest look fine.

I just want to make sure I'm not starving anything..

Thanks!

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 11:12 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Regular water changes should provide all the chemical requirements of these corals. Regular feeding of the tank should handle the nutrients, so yes, you are good to go, no additional suplements are needed.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 11:27 AM   #3
travis32
Registered Member

Cool thanks. I have a household RO filtration system from Culligan. The pre and post carbon filters are up for replacement (annual replacement according to Culligant) Would I be better off holding off on water changes until those two filters are replaced, or do I go ahead?

The water tastes fine, at times, there is possibly a slight chlorine taste.. I'm having culligan come out to test the water and replace the filter cartridges this week..

I'm thinking it would be best to wait 'till I know the condition of the filtered water.

Unread 02/22/2010, 11:56 AM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

I would wait, but you should get a TDS meter to monitor the water yourself. They do not cost much on ebay. Your water should also pass through a DI filter, RO by itself lets things get by that should not be in your tank, a TDS reading of less than 5 is what you are looking for. DI is not recommended as a regular drinking water, so you will need a seperate dispenser for the DI water.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2010, 12:58 PM   #5
travis32
Registered Member

There are multiple filters,2 pre carbon filters, 1 post carbon filter, and the main RO membrain filter. So, 4 filters total.

I could probably find this somewhere, but, what is DI? I saw the list of metals and elements removed by the filters and it's around 95% to 98% of every element / metal that could be int he water. Is that 2 to 5 % trace elements too much?

Unread 02/22/2010, 01:00 PM   #6
travis32
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that before the water goes through the RO filtration system, it is processed by a water softner. Removing most heavey metals (if not all) of them. Then the RO filtration filters out anything that got through the softner. I would think it'd be as good if not better than store bought filtered water because they most likely don't use softners in conjunction with their filters.

Depends on what DI does to the water though.

Unread 02/22/2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Your salt mix supplies trace elements, buffer, calcium, iodine, magnesium (probably): read the list of ingredients on your salt. Hence the water change requirement.
However, if you want good growth out of your softies, settle only for proper lighting and 'ocean water-like' parameters. I list the range in my sig. Especially watch alkalinity. And if you keep having to add buffer, watch your magnesium:

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corals, nutrients, soft corals