Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2017, 06:20 PM   #1
vegadan1
Registered Member

LF LED Lighting settings for Acros

What percentage should the whites vs. Blues be for growing Acros?

Thanks for you advice!

vegadan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 06:14 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

It depends a LOT on what fixture you have. And are you talking about the basic ratio of white to blue?

Or are you looking for actual power levels for each? In which case the fixture brand and model and the depth of the tank can make a huge difference and other factors like height of the fixture off the water and clarity of the water also make a difference.

Many/most led fixtures have roughly the same number of whites as blues. I think most people run these types of fixtures at roughly 2:1 blue to white. If the cool white look is OK with you, your corals would be very happy with a 3:1 blue to white (or even more).

Other fixtures have a different mix of white and blue and/or run different wattage to white vs blue. I have a new ReeFi-Lab pendant fixture that has 50 leds from Cree. It has only 5 white, and 25 blue, 10 violet, 5 red and 5 cyan. If I run this at the 2:1 blue to white my tank would be ULTRA blue. I run it at 75% white and 50% blue and get a nice cool white that my frag tank loves.

If you want actual power level percentages, you need to provide a lot more info!

Unread 06/22/2017, 09:30 AM   #3
vegadan1
Registered Member

Hello and thanks for the response. I have 3 Ai Sol fixtures that have white, blue and royal blue and can be set by percentage. The fixtures are about 12" from the water My tank is 36 inches deep and is a Bow front

Thank you

vegadan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Sorry, I have no experience with AI Sol.

I tried looking them up and I see they have 8 triple arrays and it says 1 white and 2 blue. But then it says the fixture has a total of 16 white and 8 blue??? So I'm confused.

That makes a HUGE difference in the ratio of white to blue you have.

At 36" deep and keeping acros, I'd guess you are going to be running them between 75% and 100% to get enough PAR down that deep.