Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/16/2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Smile Reef tank stocking

I have a 125 gallon tank. Need opinions on the fish I plan to put in. I have very good filteration.
1 one spot fox face
2 convict goby
1 powder Blue tang
2 orange clowns
2 black and white clowns
1 yellow tang
1 sailfin tang
1 fire angel
1 coral beauty angel
1 diamond goby
1 royal gramma
2 lyretail anthias
1 yellow tail damsel
I think that thee fish will be fine i just want to make sure

Newreefer125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 03:00 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

I would cut back on at least one tang, preferably the sailfin. The angels might also compete with the tangs a lot so I would choose either the fire or coral beauty, but wouldn't stock both.

18 fish for a tank that size is quite a bit. I would try to narrow it down even more.

What type of setup are you going for? Reef? FOWLR?

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Okay so what if I got rid of the sailfin and both anthias?

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:14 PM   #4
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

Two clown pair will be pressed for territory in a 125. Better to have just one happy couple.

IdahoCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Newreefer125
Registered Member

I also have an appropriate sized protein skimmer and a sulfur denatrafier to handle nitrates. My family really wants the sailfin but if it's not good for the fish I won't get it. Anymore advice? I'm also wondering about the order I need to introduce these fish to the tank.

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCindy View Post
Two clown pair will be pressed for territory in a 125. Better to have just one happy couple.
Thank you for the advice!!

Unread 03/16/2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
I would cut back on at least one tang, preferably the sailfin. The angels might also compete with the tangs a lot so I would choose either the fire or coral beauty, but wouldn't stock both.

18 fish for a tank that size is quite a bit. I would try to narrow it down even more.

What type of setup are you going for? Reef? FOWLR?
I plan on having a reef tank. But I want the tank to have a lot of fish and movement

Unread 03/16/2017, 05:48 PM   #8
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newreefer125 View Post
I plan on having a reef tank. But I want the tank to have a lot of fish and movement
That's cool. We all love movement in our tanks

How much live rock do you have in your tank? The tangs and foxface will need a lot of swimming space and won't like a tank full of rocks (if you have a lot I mean).

As far as introductions go, you want to introduce the most peaceful inhabitants (cleanup crew included) first and the more aggressive fish (tangs, angel) last.

Is this your first saltwater tank by any chance? I'm just asking because powder blue tangs tend to be very sensitive. Even "experts" struggle to keep them alive longterm.

Unread 03/16/2017, 05:55 PM   #9
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Quote:
That's cool. We all love movement in our tanks

How much live rock do you have in your tank? The tangs and foxface will need a lot of swimming space and won't like a tank full of rocks (if you have a lot I mean).

As far as introductions go, you want to introduce the most peaceful inhabitants (cleanup crew included) first and the more aggressive fish (tangs, angel) last.

Is this your first saltwater tank by any chance? I'm just asking because powder blue tangs tend to be very sensitive. Even "experts" struggle to keep them alive longterm.
Yes this is my first saltwater tank. I have had a lot of experience with freshwater but I'm just now starting saltwater(that's why I had so many questions). I don't know the exact amount of live rock but there is a lot of swimming space. If I don't get the powder blue could the tank handle the sailfin now? Btw thank you for all this advice.

Unread 03/16/2017, 06:13 PM   #10
mike61289
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newreefer125 View Post
Yes this is my first saltwater tank. I have had a lot of experience with freshwater but I'm just now starting saltwater(that's why I had so many questions). I don't know the exact amount of live rock but there is a lot of swimming space. If I don't get the powder blue could the tank handle the sailfin now? Btw thank you for all this advice.
It's my pleasure! We've all started where you are right now and still continue learning with each passing day! That's what I love about this hobby

Lots of swimming space is good! The tangs should be happy.

Since this is your first saltwater tank and I want you to succeed, I would nix the powder blue simply because they are super sensitive to EVERYTHING!

If you want multiple tangs, I would go with the yellow and maybe a bristletooth tang (kole, tomini, two spot, or squaretail). Avoid the chevron tang as they're one of the larger bristletooth species. It's hard to mix tangs that are similar in shape, like the yellow and sailfin. Also, 125 is still borderline for a yellow tang alone so adding a sailfin, which grows quite large, is pushing it.

The best suggestion I can provide right now is to add your fish slowly. Add one or two fish at a time (obviously add both clowns from the pair simultaneously). Get your cleanup crew in there (cleaner shrimps, astrea snails, trochus snails, nassarius snails, emerald crabs, maybe some hermits) and be sure to follow acclimation procedures because you can't just adjust these creatures to temperature and then throw them into your tank. Test the water regularly and if everything seems stable from week to week, then I would say it's safe to add more fish.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask them here or to send me (and others you trust) a private message. We're here to help

Unread 03/16/2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Newreefer125
Registered Member

Quote:
It's my pleasure! We've all started where you are right now and still continue learning with each passing day! That's what I love about this hobby

Lots of swimming space is good! The tangs should be happy.

Since this is your first saltwater tank and I want you to succeed, I would nix the powder blue simply because they are super sensitive to EVERYTHING!

If you want multiple tangs, I would go with the yellow and maybe a bristletooth tang (kole, tomini, two spot, or squaretail). Avoid the chevron tang as they're one of the larger bristletooth species. It's hard to mix tangs that are similar in shape, like the yellow and sailfin. Also, 125 is still borderline for a yellow tang alone so adding a sailfin, which grows quite large, is pushing it.

The best suggestion I can provide right now is to add your fish slowly. Add one or two fish at a time (obviously add both clowns from the pair simultaneously). Get your cleanup crew in there (cleaner shrimps, astrea snails, trochus snails, nassarius snails, emerald crabs, maybe some hermits) and be sure to follow acclimation procedures because you can't just adjust these creatures to temperature and then throw them into your tank. Test the water regularly and if everything seems stable from week to week, then I would say it's safe to add more fish.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask them here or to send me (and others you trust) a private message. We're here to help
Okay thank you I'll be sure to contact you if I need anymore advice.

Unread 03/17/2017, 06:34 AM   #12
gp2
Registered Member

Not to steal your thread, but I also didn't feel the need to post a second thread. I just wanted to get some feedback on stocking.

65 gallon (36") SPS red sea reefer. 2x Islands rock scape, with caves

Current Fish:
2" Blue hippo tang
2x Percula tank raised

Future Plans:
Coral Beauty
Female Leopard Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Blotched anthias
Mandarian Goby

Acceptable stocking?

Unread 03/17/2017, 07:18 AM   #13
SecretiveFish
Registered Member

If it was my tank, I would modify the stocking list as follows:
- 1 one spot fox face
- 2 convict goby
- 2 orange clowns or 2 black and white clowns
- 1 yellow tang
- 1 fire angel or 1 coral beauty angel
- 1 diamond goby - these guys filter the sand which can smother corals along the bottom
- 1 royal gramma
- 2 lyretail anthias - only if you are able to feed multiple times per day

The ones I would remove from your stocking list are these:
- Powder Blue tang - as mentioned incredibly sensitive, better later when you have more experience
- Sailfin Tang - needs a larger system, 180 at least
- Yellow tail damsel - will probably become aggressive as it matures.

Good luck in your endeavor!

SecretiveFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 12:48 AM   #14
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2 View Post
Not to steal your thread, but I also didn't feel the need to post a second thread. I just wanted to get some feedback on stocking.

65 gallon (36") SPS red sea reefer. 2x Islands rock scape, with caves

Current Fish:
2" Blue hippo tang
2x Percula tank raised

Future Plans:
Coral Beauty
Female Leopard Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Blotched anthias
Mandarian Goby

Acceptable stocking?

Make a separate thread, you'll get tons more responses that way.

A blue hippo tang in a 65 gallon will not work. A mandarin and a leopard wrasse both eat pods, so they are not compatible in that size tank, as well noting that the leopard wrasse is a very difficult fish to keep. I would cross off the leopard and get rid of the tang and then you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
angel, powder blue, reef tank, tang, tank stocking