Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2017, 04:19 AM   #601
dave.m
Registered Member

Brilliant idea for the automated feeder, but I am concerned about the amount of nutrients this would add with these semi-liquified foods. Are you keeping tabs on nitrate and phosphate levels during these experiments? Any signs of algae growth taking off?

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 11:05 AM   #602
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't worry about chasing the numbers. If you look thru the photo for at least the past 20 months, all those photos are taken with the phosphates at .6 to .8 --- Not a mistake, I didn't drop a zero. Tested by multiple Phosphate checkers, and various people. But validated with quarterly Triton ICP Tests.

And any photo since the end of Jan 2017 the phosphate levels are 1.64.

You can look thru the photos, or take some time watching the display tank or frag tank webcams -- o2manyfish.com/webcam/ or o2manyfish.com/fragtank and see that I don't have algae issues or problems other than having to wipe the glass several times a week.

And I have never cared about Nitrates. for the past 17 years the only nitrate testing done is when people come over bewildered by phosphate claims and they test the water to try to make me a liar Nitrates are usually between 8 and 15

This project took a lot longer than I expected. Whether gathering more and more different pieces of PVC and plastic parts to find all the correct sized nipples.

Or when I drilled the freezer the first time trying to put the water in/out thru the sides, and hit the chilling coils in the first cut. All the dorm fridges I have ever destroyed -- lots -- always have the chilling coils in the back. Well it turns out a 1.6 cubic foot freezer has coils on all sides. And to discover that I had to open up every single surface to explore.

Plus some health issues slowing me down. This little project I started about 4 months ago.

Yesterday Amazon delivered a new Freezer - With all the parts finally in one place. It took me about 90 minutes to put everything together.

The video last night was right after I confirmed my Proof of Concept. I still need to change some things. I used really thin vinyl wall tubing and it's just kinking at every turn. So I think I will swap the in/out lines for PEX.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 01:20 PM   #603
dave.m
Registered Member

I can't find the Like button. Drat these old forums.

Dave.M

Unread 03/15/2017, 07:43 PM   #604
thetedinator
Registered Member

Very cool.

Current Tank Info: 240g tank
thetedinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 06:26 AM   #605
larrysmith75
Registered Member

Very nice!! Any chance you can share a link to the doser? I will have to try this.
Also do you recall where you got your 3 way ato/kalk solenoid?
Thanks for all the videos and great information you post.

Larry

larrysmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 11:27 AM   #606
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Larry,

On the largest auction site look up "large flow Peristaltic Pump dosing 400ml/min"

Seller was DIYELECMALL108

I paid $135 for 4 of them shipped.

Took about 10 days for them to arrive.

The 3 way solenoid was purchased from the same auction site. It is a Red Hat / Asco solenoid.

There are 1000 different models. Search for "Asco 110 3 way" and that narrows the list. They are available at different voltages, different pressure ratings, different materials, etc etc -- For topoff it doesn't matter which one you get.

There are lots of them available as "NOS" New Old Stock. They have boxes in the photo that look like they are 75 years old. Don't worry about the box. Surplus companies buy lots of these from defunct HVAC based businesses.

Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysmith75 View Post
Very nice!! Any chance you can share a link to the doser? I will have to try this.
Also do you recall where you got your 3 way ato/kalk solenoid?
Thanks for all the videos and great information you post.

Larry

Unread 03/17/2017, 07:49 AM   #607
larrysmith75
Registered Member

Thanks again for the info.
The valve is otw and the dosing heads are in my cart ready for check out.

Larry

larrysmith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 12:12 PM   #608
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

The most frequently asked question about my outdoor frag tank is 'What about the rain?'

We just had the rainiest winter in decades and enough rain fell to end a 15 year drought.

Here is what the frag tank looks like after months of rain....

Dave B

Unread 04/25/2017, 12:19 PM   #609
cFloor
Registered Member

I love your videos, some of my favorites on YouTube. Keep em comin!

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2017, 01:07 PM   #610
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Larry,

On the largest auction site look up "large flow Peristaltic Pump dosing 400ml/min"

Seller was DIYELECMALL108

I paid $135 for 4 of them shipped.

Took about 10 days for them to arrive.

The 3 way solenoid was purchased from the same auction site. It is a Red Hat / Asco solenoid.

There are 1000 different models. Search for "Asco 110 3 way" and that narrows the list. They are available at different voltages, different pressure ratings, different materials, etc etc -- For topoff it doesn't matter which one you get.

There are lots of them available as "NOS" New Old Stock. They have boxes in the photo that look like they are 75 years old. Don't worry about the box. Surplus companies buy lots of these from defunct HVAC based businesses.

Dave B

Dave,
What power source are you using for these large flow peristaltic pumps, and what tubing are you using from the pump to the food source?

Thanks.

Unread 04/27/2017, 08:22 PM   #611
Reef of Fillory
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

The most frequently asked question about my outdoor frag tank is 'What about the rain?'

We just had the rainiest winter in decades and enough rain fell to end a 15 year drought.

Here is what the frag tank looks like after months of rain....

Dave B
My question is what about the birds? Do you not have any issues with birds going after your fish?

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using Tapatalk

Reef of Fillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:00 AM   #612
rickztahone
Registered Member

How are you dealing with all of this wind? Are you getting a lot of debris in your tanks?

22g RBTA tank build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578399

Current Tank Info: 22g Peninsula tank RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish
rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 09:33 AM   #613
o2manyfish
Registered Member

MaxII,

For the Power Supply I was using a 12v 500ma. It worked fine in testing when I left the pump in the freezer for a week. However with the food in the link the 500ma wasn't enough. I just upped them to a 2amp and haven't had any issues.

The pumps came with the tubing to go thru the pump. I took my calipers and measured it and then ordered some from online- I don't recall what size it was.

Dave B

Unread 04/29/2017, 09:35 AM   #614
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Reef Fillory,

Well I have my own macaw. He has yet to catch a fish but he has pulled corals out and chewed on them.

In the 14 years of having tanks outside we haven't had a bird issue. I have 3 small active dogs that are pretty good at chasing birds in the yard.

Dave B

Unread 04/29/2017, 09:37 AM   #615
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Rickztahone,

The winds have been crazy. I've only pulled a couple of leaves out of the tank. While windy, by me there hasn't been that much crap flying around.

When we have the fires and the ash falls from the sky, the corals love it. Best polyp extension ever when that happens.

The only things that have fallen into the tank and had a negative effect have been put in by humans. Mother nature has been pretty respectful of the tanks

Dave B

Unread 04/29/2017, 11:27 AM   #616
rickztahone
Registered Member

That is so awesome. Glad to hear it bud

Quote:
Rickztahone,

The winds have been crazy. I've only pulled a couple of leaves out of the tank. While windy, by me there hasn't been that much crap flying around.

When we have the fires and the ash falls from the sky, the corals love it. Best polyp extension ever when that happens.

The only things that have fallen into the tank and had a negative effect have been put in by humans. Mother nature has been pretty respectful of the tanks

Dave B

22g RBTA tank build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578399

Current Tank Info: 22g Peninsula tank RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish
rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2017, 01:41 PM   #617
maxxII
Super Housemonkey!

Quote:
MaxII,

For the Power Supply I was using a 12v 500ma. It worked fine in testing when I left the pump in the freezer for a week. However with the food in the link the 500ma wasn't enough. I just upped them to a 2amp and haven't had any issues.

The pumps came with the tubing to go thru the pump. I took my calipers and measured it and then ordered some from online- I don't recall what size it was.

Dave B
I just google searched 12v 2A power supply and found several on Amazon.... were the ones used plug and play, or did you have to wire the power supply to the pump(s)? Did each pump require an individual power supply, or were you able to use a single power supply for all four pumps?

Unread 04/30/2017, 02:42 PM   #618
lolgranny
The DQ King

Ive always been impressed with your obsession of fish as its been a quality ive had since i was little. Ive had a massive tank crash, same as you did with kalk when i was out of town. Lost everything. Hard to take that pain and get back on your feet, but you sure have done it. Very beautiful collection. I only hope i can achieve what you have down the road.

Current Tank Info: 40g RIP. 300g system, 180g display.
lolgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2017, 11:38 PM   #619
o2manyfish
Registered Member

MaxxII,

I just bought inexpensive Wall Wart 12v power supplies. I buy the ones with the LED on them so I know when they are 'activated'.

I just cut off the plug on the end and wire it straight to the pump.

You could use one powersupply and they relays to trigger the pumps. But that's add multiple mechanic relays rather than just a $4 power supply. With either method if you want to control 4 different foods independently from the Apex you still are using 4 ports on an EB8.

Dave b

Unread 05/02/2017, 11:46 PM   #620
o2manyfish
Registered Member

New Neptune PMUP

Hey Guys,

I picked up one of the new Neptune 'utility' pumps a few weeks ago to use for a filtration project. I originally thought it was going to be a good little pump for small water needs.

Well yesterday I come out and find it's not working.

I took it apart of find the center of the pump melted to the point it broke the impeller blades off and then seized.

I understand that all products have failures. But the impeller blades are very brittle. I'm concerned that anything could possible snap the blades.

Dave B

Unread 05/03/2017, 01:28 PM   #621
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Wow, wonder what caused the blades to break like that. Either way, hopefully Neptune replaces it.

Unread 05/03/2017, 07:27 PM   #622
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:

Dave B
Some products do have failure. However, pumps are not one I wouldn't expect. Manufactures should know small creatures will try and make that area home (with intent or on accident). I had a pump a few years back run into similar issues with the blades snapping off. Ended up being a wide spread issue and they redesigned it. Never bought a pump from them again.

To me those blades look weak and a source of failure - just my opinion anyway having seen a similar issue with another brand.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2017, 11:07 PM   #623
RCS82
Registered Member

Wow, this is an all time favorite thread. Great story, love the outdoor frag tank and filtration, great videos too. Your dedication through the ups and downs is just awesome.

Now how bout an easy question if you don't mind . I could probably think of many haha.

Are you set on LED's? Like there is no going back to MH or T5's? It's an old debate but the Radion is a fantastic light after all. Or a Mitra or a Kessil or the list goes on, lots of great Led's out there.

Thanks and all the best

Current Tank Info: 90g, mixed reef, I hope haha
RCS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 01:11 AM   #624
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I live in Los Angeles and after the 94 Northridge Earthquake I bought an emergency generator.

In the past 23 years I had to use the generator 2x. In the past 6 months I have had to use it 8x.

The last 2 weeks of June, when the weather was over 100 degrees the power went out twice.

The first time I was home.

On June 26th, i was on vacation.....

We live and learn. New 22kw Generac autostart generator with 200amp auto transfer switch has been delivered. Now hopefully I can get it hooked up before LADWP fails again.

Dave B

Unread 07/07/2017, 08:52 AM   #625
dave.m
Registered Member

Wow! Just gutted to hear of your losses. The Generac run off natural gas is a good start towards self-sufficiency, but maybe a solar and/or wind installation might be worthwhile, as well.

Dave.M