Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Unome
Registered Member

I don't have SW tank(yet). But years ago before I got into FW, I was into rose bushes. I had 36 in my yard.

One day taking a shower, I got to wondering, "Is this waste water okay for plants(i.e. my rose bushes)?" I started doing some digging around(this was before the internet) and found out by reading that a lot of people would spray soapy water on their rose bushes and the bugs didn't like the soapy taste and leave bushes alone. So I started plugging the drain in the tub when I took a shower. After I finished(would rinse feet after getting out), I would run a hose from the tub, out the window, start a siphon and let as much water as possible drain from tub into the rose bushes.

I did this over a period of about 6 months when weather was warm(being in Georgia that was about 9 months of the year) for about 3 years. I had rose bushes with leaves as big as my hand and most of my roses were about the size of softballs. I could go out every day and cut about 80 - 100 flowers(the ladies at work loved me). The really plus side to this was I had NO INSECT problems.

The dirty soapy water was being absorbed by the plants, the soap was getting into the plants and bugs fled the scene. Even the Japanese beetles. And it didn't change the smell of the roses.

Finally decided to give it up because I was spending about 2 hrs. a day trimming/pruning/caring for the roses. Even though I gave them to my wife, taking that 2 hrs. away from her was NOT the best idea I had.

Current Tank Info: 125G Planted FW
Unome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2013, 09:32 AM   #27
joshua.jebe
Registered Member

waste water

i run my waste water to a 55gal drum and use it with top off for all my fresh water tanks on average 100gal a month i am using in topoff in iowa

joshua.jebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2013, 04:06 PM   #28
sonoma2nv
Registered Member

i have a 600 gal storage tank all mu rejected water goes in and its hooked up to my sprinklers

sonoma2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 12:34 PM   #29
jccaclimber
Registered Member

I dump mine out into the grass during the warmer months of the year. I don't water my indoor plants with it as I get very quick calcium buildup. This isn't an issue in the yard where the rain washes away any buildups.

jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2013, 07:54 PM   #30
chilwil84
Registered Member

mine goes to my sump pump then into a dry well, so it goes back to the aquafer it came from(or the one above it)

chilwil84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2013, 08:17 PM   #31
cjcolvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb320reef View Post
I run the waste line to top off my pool.
That is awsome. I have accutally been thinking of doing that as well. We currently just have it run out to fill the dog bowl. Dogs always have water thought

cjcolvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2013, 11:37 PM   #32
President Evil
Registered Member

Aside from using the water for washing clothes, and the usual watering of plants, I also use it to wash my car.. get a couple of buckets of water and go to work...

Unread 12/16/2013, 09:45 AM   #33
TampaSnooker
Registered Member

I had 1/4" tubing with T's and valves run over my entire garden at my old house. Every bit of the garden got well watered and it was jammin.

As for using it in an African cichlid tank, it's already been dechlorinated - as long as you are keeping up with your carbon filter. Just look at the KH and pH of the waste water to make sure it's not too high. If your local water is relatively soft with low TDS, you're probably fine. My incoming water is quite high in TDS so I would have to test it before considering using it in my Malawi tank, even though they like swimming in liquid rock. My well water is just right as is for them.

Unread 12/16/2013, 09:45 AM   #34
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Mine goes directly into my washing machine. Filling up a 5 gallon jug gives me about 2/3 the amount of water to run a large load of laundry.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 10:41 AM   #35
peter15
Registered Member

I use mine to water the lawn

peter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Shan69743
Registered Member

great ideas, i'll have to start looking for a large holding tank.

Shan69743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 12:08 PM   #37
Reeferz412
Coral Hoarder

I thought about this thread again. Since I use my RODI unit once every 2-3 weeks to fill a few five gallon buckets, I reserved an old beat up bucket for the waste water. I like to make my water during a water change to replace the water I am about to use. As the waste water bucket fills, I use that water to clean any equipment that requires ritual cleaning. I also used it to wash some rags I used that get encrusted with salt as I wipe down the floor as I do a WC. I filled another bucket with waste water and filled it with vinegar and dropped some powerheads that needed to be dipped. I use one bucket with a lid and collect the waste water to top off my outdoor fountain as well.

FMAS Member

Current Tank Info: 400 Gallons of frags... 30 gallon Deep Blue mixed reef ... 70 other tanks throughout south FL
Reeferz412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2013, 01:36 PM   #38
Ajskennels
Registered Member

i have mine plumed into my dogs auto watering system

Ajskennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2013, 09:53 PM   #39
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

And here I thought I was the only one running it to my pool! Mine runs over 40 feet underground popping out in the skimmer....

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2014, 09:15 AM   #40
s2nhle
Registered Member

I used waste water for plant in summer and to the drain in winter.

s2nhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 09:35 AM   #41
alexx2208
Registered Member

Based on what your city's adding into the water, it could grow your grass faster. at least my city adds minerals that help grow plants, so when you make rodi water, the waste just has a higher concentration, and itll be even better.

alexx2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2014, 06:12 AM   #42
johnpasternak
Registered Member

I use it for my dogs water

johnpasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2014, 12:14 PM   #43
bsagea
Registered Member

Ours goes into our swimming pool and pond or 1 gal containers for watering the plants in the summer.

bsagea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 12:02 PM   #44
Frictionless
Registered Member

I pour mine onto my lawn and my neighbour doesn't.. .. but his grass is greener lol
Can you use the water water to fresh water dip corals and rocks rather than using tap water or good rodi?

Frictionless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 05:24 PM   #45
Sk8r
RC Mod

Don't freshwater dip anything, imho. Use CoralRX in salt water for corals. And quarantine and TTM your fish (see note atop forum).

The wastewater contains all the things you don't want your critters to be breathing, for one thing.

You can water your lawn with it or wash clothes with it, or any ordinary utility use of water. It's just got a concentration of minerals taken from the water that was stripped down to ro/di.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2017, 10:04 PM   #46
BlueMoods
Registered Member

That stuff makes perfect plant water for garden or houseplant, I use it for that and, because phosphates are my main problem, it feeds my plants nicely.

BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 09:36 AM   #47
MurphyLong
HMFIC

I use the wastewater to drown my dreams of being wealthy...

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 10:27 PM   #48
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I specialize in African cichlids. The African Rift lakes are high in dissolved solids, hard and alkaline, and many folks add various salts to African cichlid aquaria. I always collected RO runoff in 55 gallon drums and used that for rift lake cichlids. I did not dechlorinate it, just used it straight. As an aside - many years ago I converted Hemichromis bimaculatus (Jewel cichlids, which are NOT rift cichlids) to full-on salt water. Freaked out the local LFS. Gave them to the LFS and they used them to cycle marine tanks.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 03:02 AM   #49
Jeramirez85
Registered Member

Tagging along. I just had it dump into the lawn now from what I see here I have several options for it now

Jeramirez85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 05:37 PM   #50
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F View Post
Does anyone know if the waste water from a RO/DI would be harmful in makeup to grass? I'm thinking of collecting in a cistern and spreading on the lawn during the hot months. Thanks for any feedback.
It surprises me how many people tend to think of the 'flush' water from an RO unit as something to be treated like a harmful chemical.

I drink my flush water, & why not.

If the water going into a RODI unit is good enough to drink, then the flush water, which has by this time gone through a sediment filter, & then a carbon filter is certainly good enough to drink.

But what about the TDS??? The TDS level will barely be higher than before it went through the membrane housing, and, those disolved minerals are what humans need to be healthy.

Just don't drink RODI treated water regularly, that's not good for you.

Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote