Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2019, 04:58 AM   #1
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

How to Test ESV Alkalinity

I just switched from the 1 Gallon Containers to the large 4 gallon containers of ESV B-Ionic 2 part. After switching my dosing requirement has increased from 45 ml per day to 75 ml per day to maintain my alkalinity level. So I am either having an issue with a consistent mix or maybe one of the containers was not consistent with the other. So, my question is - how can I test the alkalinity level of this container so when I buy my next container, I can test it as well so I will know what to expect? I am guessing there is an amount of the Alkalinity that I can add to a gallon of water to test the DKH, or something like this, but I don't see that anywhere on the label.

For reference, my tank is 100G and has been running for 3 years. It's primarily SPS and I have a lot of growth right now.

Thanks

Unread 04/25/2019, 05:34 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd try adding 3 dKH or so to a 1 gallon sample. Using this calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I get 1.4 ml. If you don't have an accurate measuring device at that level, dosing 10g should be okay. Using the water for changes should still be fine. I'm assuming you're using the original, high-pH formula.

Unread 04/25/2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I'd try adding 3 dKH or so to a 1 gallon sample. Using this calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

I get 1.4 ml. If you don't have an accurate measuring device at that level, dosing 10g should be okay. Using the water for changes should still be fine. I'm assuming you're using the original, high-pH formula.
Thanks for your reply. So are you saying in the calculator I should enter 1 gallon of water volume and then enter current Alk as 0 dkh and target as 3 dkh? When I do that I get 5.7 ml. (I could not get that calculator to work but I have another calculator like this that I use...)

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

Here is the ESV product I am using...

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/esv-b...er-system.html

thanks!

Unread 04/25/2019, 06:28 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I used 7 dKH and 10 dKH, and got 1.4 ml. I don't get any answer for 0 dKH. I suspect that the calculator has a bit of a bug.

Unread 04/27/2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Patrick Cox
Registered Member

OK, well, I figured out what happened. There is still a 1" layer of solid at the bottom of the bucket of alkalinity. Last time I buy these large buckets. PITA to deal with. I am now trying to dissolve the solid and then I will need to keep a close eye on everything. I am afraid to test my calcium as I am sure it is high.

Unread 04/27/2019, 05:13 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, that makes sense. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. Some heating might help dissolve the solid.

Unread 05/04/2019, 09:09 AM   #7
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Patrick I’m curious, are you saying that the large buckets are filled with water and make 4 gallons at a time? I thought they were filled with the dry powder that was portioned out to make however many gallons you need at the time.
I’m asking because after using the gallon concentrate size for a while (and very happy with the results) I was considering buying the larger containers. Your experience may change my mind.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote