Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Emerald Coast Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2014, 06:46 PM   #1
Moto69Joe
Registered Member

Panhandle shops

I'm new to the area (Pensacola) and just got back into the Hobby. What are the local shops from say Destin to Pensacola? Can we compile a list?

Moto69Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2014, 06:48 PM   #2
BIGD0G
Registered Member

I am new as well but can say Matt's Coral Connection in Fort Walton Beach is great. I have not been to any in Pensacola so others will have to comment in that side.

Current Tank Info: 180g
BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Moto69Joe
Registered Member

Yeah I've bought a few things from Matts as well as Water World in Pensacola. I'm sure there are more shops than this? Not much comes up on Google.

Unread 01/13/2014, 11:04 PM   #4
lhm nole
Registered Member

Reefscapes on Olive road by west florida hospital once in awhile has a few corals . Petland on Davis Pcola pretty good selection of corals fish are ok..Petland FWB on Mary Esther ok store few corals and fish.. Destin has nothing.

lhm nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2014, 03:00 AM   #5
SunnyB
Registered Member

Sad to say that the shops mentioned above are about all we have around here.

They could sure use some competition!

SunnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2014, 12:10 PM   #6
MacWilliams
Registered Member

Matt's is great. Good customer service and healthy products. They will not sell unless it's healthy. Petland in fwb is much better than they were a few months ago. They just changed their filtration and now look great with a decent selection. Tho their prices are some what insane on certain things. Matt's prices are great I go there for all my live stock. I have not been to any others in the area.

MacWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2014, 06:20 PM   #7
vince16g
Registered Member

Progressive marine in mobile is worth the drive. one of the better stores on the coast

vince16g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2014, 07:52 AM   #8
Moto69Joe
Registered Member

Vince how is their selection/stock/pricing?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince16g View Post
Progressive marine in mobile is worth the drive. one of the better stores on the coast

Unread 03/27/2014, 08:18 AM   #9
Sethjamto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto69Joe View Post
Vince how is their selection/stock/pricing?
Thanks
Coral stock and pricing is good. They usually don't have a ton of fish in stock at most times, but do always have some. They will special order any fish you want though! If there's something in particular you want, call ahead to see if they have one to save the drive. If not, they'll order and just make the drive over when it arrives.

If you have a facebook page they have a site on there you can check them out. I live about 5 miles away and stop in all the time. Great VERY knowledgeable people in there!

Unread 03/28/2014, 11:41 AM   #10
lhm nole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjamto View Post
Coral stock and pricing is good. They usually don't have a ton of fish in stock at most times, but do always have some. They will special order any fish you want though! If there's something in particular you want, call ahead to see if they have one to save the drive. If not, they'll order and just make the drive over when it arrives.

If you have a facebook page they have a site on there you can check them out. I live about 5 miles away and stop in all the time. Great VERY knowledgeable people in there!
I have know Rich the owner since the 90's very nice guy use to go to his house and buy corals he was never too much into stocking lots of fish but would get some rare stuff you didnt see at B&B.. His prices are a little high but he will always negotiate with you.. He is very knowledgeable his money making is his tank maintenance ..

Unread 03/29/2014, 07:33 AM   #11
kpick
Registered Member

I thought I replied to this earlier but there is a decent shop in pensacola called water world on Langley

kpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2014, 10:38 PM   #12
lhm nole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpick View Post
I thought I replied to this earlier but there is a decent shop in pensacola called water world on Langley
That store is for the rich... Super clean fish very healthy they do run fish system hyposalinity to avoid ich

Unread 03/30/2014, 07:13 AM   #13
kpick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhm nole View Post
That store is for the rich... Super clean fish very healthy they do run fish system hyposalinity to avoid ich
More expensive than any other lfs? Or online? It seemed to be right in line with competition, maybe I'm not looking in the right places, and like you said very clean store

kpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2014, 03:17 PM   #14
lhm nole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpick View Post
More expensive than any other lfs? Or online? It seemed to be right in line with competition, maybe I'm not looking in the right places, and like you said very clean store
Matts in FWB and even the petlands are cheaper and they all basically get stuff from the same wholesaler.. Saw close brain for 89.99 at water world and same one at petland was 59.99 fish prices water world is also higher .. I do get stuff online and you can some really good deals..

Unread 03/30/2014, 05:11 PM   #15
sargasso21
Registered Member

Blue Water Zoo in FWB outstanding service. They go above and beyond for you more then any LFS I have been to in the area.

sargasso21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2014, 08:55 PM   #16
lhm nole
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargasso21 View Post
Blue Water Zoo in FWB outstanding service. They go above and beyond for you more then any LFS I have been to in the area.
Owner there use to work for Seagrest Farms moved from bluewater bay and never been there..How is their selection?

Unread 04/16/2014, 06:08 PM   #17
bif24701
Registered Member

Checked out Bluewater Zoo yesterday and I was very happy with the service and selection of freshwater planted livestock and equipment. The owners (I assume) where very helpful, knowledgable, and didn't mind me asking as many questions as I could. The marine livestock selection was ok, they are still getting the store fully operational so I'm sure this will improve. They had some very very nice looking LR I wished I had bought the LR there to seed my dry rock because it was obviously actual aquacultured. The LR I bought from another coral store was a bit of a disappointment. I think it was just some dry rock tossed in a bin to become "Live Rock". They also have live black worms that are great and some good looking coral though no where near the selection of other places. Above all I am impressed most with the customer service that is warm, welcoming, and helpful. I liked shopping there.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2014, 11:09 AM   #18
MacWilliams
Registered Member

IS Blue Water Zoo a new shop? I have only heard of Matts and Petland in FWB. Where is this shop located?

Unread 04/23/2014, 11:13 AM   #19
BIGD0G
Registered Member

It is new to FWB. They apparently were in Bluewater Bay before but moved. It is downtown FWB not far from Matts. If you take Eglin to 98 then turn right on 98 it is the first store on the right. New but getting setup so hopefully another good LFS in the area.

Unread 04/23/2014, 11:17 AM   #20
MacWilliams
Registered Member

Well, ill have to stop by and check them out. Sounds great. We need some more competition and variety in the area. The other two stores seem to just order the same things over and over. I want some unique items. Lol. Also, im upgrading to a 118 gallon tank and need a few more fish. Cant wait.

Unread 04/23/2014, 11:26 AM   #21
BIGD0G
Registered Member

When I was in there a week or so ago the owner told me if you order a fish and are there on Thursdays when the truck is there so they do not have to open the bag and acclimate they will give you a 20% discount as well. Sounded good to me.

Unread 04/23/2014, 12:14 PM   #22
MacWilliams
Registered Member

Whoa. Thats a great deal. I can definitely do that. Just have to plan out what i want and when i need them by.