Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2018, 09:49 AM   #1
mav.23
Registered Member

Clam

Hello everyone! I am kind of new to this hobby, and my first tank I got about eight months ago. I am very interested in buying a giant clam at my LFS, but I wanted to make sure I could provide for it. My tank is a 50-gal and I am going out today and getting LED to replace my fluorescent. I have a frag of a finger leather soft coral, live rock, a toby pufferfish (saddleback), a convict blenny (engineer goby) pup, an ocellaris clownfish and a yellowtail blue damselfish. I am also looking into purchasing a small female emerald crab for my hair algae. I know puffers are known to agitate shelled inverts, but in the past I have kept him with emerald crabs and it was left alone. I feed the puffer snail once every other week for his teeth, with brine shrimp and scallop meat in between snail feedings. The puffer is about 1 1/2 inches, and I believe he won't get much larger. I have IO salt that says it has calcium in it. Would the clam work in my tank?

Thanks!

mav.23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 03:07 PM   #2
binder
Registered Member

what species of clam are you wanting to get? maxima, derasa, squamosa, crocea?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 05:21 PM   #3
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder View Post
what species of clam are you wanting to get? maxima, derasa, squamosa, crocea?

Maxima

Unread 04/29/2018, 12:33 PM   #4
binder
Registered Member

I don't know about the fish, but as long as you have good lighting and keep good water quality (and flow), you should be fine with a maxima.

Unread 05/10/2018, 08:21 PM   #5
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know about the fish, but as long as you have good lighting and keep good water quality (and flow), you should be fine with a maxima.

Thank you! I ended up not getting it because I read they are very sensitive to water perimeters, and since they cost so much I didn't want to risk it. But thank you nonetheless!

Unread 05/10/2018, 08:25 PM   #6
binder
Registered Member

You're welcome.
Yeah, the clams are definitely sensitive to water parameters and are a significant investment (cost).

My suggestion would be to enjoy the hobby and try to keep your tank parameters consistent. Let your tank "age" and watch it change. Then, when you feel confident about keeping your water parameters stable, then venture into the giant clam realm.

I love them myself. I just recently, accidentally killed a derasa clam due to cleaning the tank and too much debris floating in the tank. It happens to the best of us.

Unread 06/06/2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Softhammer
Registered Member

Don’t do it. That puffer will destroy it.

Unread 08/19/2018, 07:17 AM   #8
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
You're welcome.
Yeah, the clams are definitely sensitive to water parameters and are a significant investment (cost).

My suggestion would be to enjoy the hobby and try to keep your tank parameters consistent. Let your tank "age" and watch it change. Then, when you feel confident about keeping your water parameters stable, then venture into the giant clam realm.

I love them myself. I just recently, accidentally killed a derasa clam due to cleaning the tank and too much debris floating in the tank. It happens to the best of us.
thank you, that is good advice. I’ll wait, and maybe move some of my fish to a different tank..

Unread 08/19/2018, 07:18 AM   #9
mav.23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhammer View Post
Don’t do it. That puffer will destroy it.

I didn’t know that, thank you!