Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2016, 02:02 PM   #76
SGT_York
Registered Member

Mine has been going strong no problems for 14 months.

In regards to head loss, these pumps don't do height, they have low speed impellers that push large quantities of water with each turn, compared to an Iwaki high speed, low volume, which means they are great energy savers but can't push water high at all, they are not to be used for basement pumps. You won't get any flow out of them.

SGT_York is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2016, 01:53 PM   #77
evan47
Registered Member

I have the dc1200 in my sump and regarding noise, well, it depends on wich speed I am running it.
For example running so the 4th led is lit it is almost silent, the 5th hums a little, the 6th a little less and the 7th and 8th silent.
Running below the 3rd led the pump back flows and is ineffective even though the outlet is less than 1 1/2 meters above the pump.
Also, why is it not designed so you can fit rubber suckers to its base? The integrated feet are poor, have no grip and transmit vibration noise.

evan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2016, 04:12 PM   #78
ClownBubbaJoe
Registered Member

Well, it doesn't sound too bad, especially for the price.

How long have you had yours ?

Have your tried placing it on ant-vibration material ?
I've use some extra sound proof rubber from when I installed my stereo, speakers and sub-woofers in my truck, and it works great. I also some to cushion the tank on the stand.

Any updates from the rest of you ?

ClownBubbaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 01:39 PM   #79
malira
Registered Member

I'm looking into buying a 1200.

Did the recent upgrades make the cleaning any easier, quieter and/or more reliable?

malira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 08:04 AM   #80
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have 3 of the original DC12000 pumps and they have all been dead quiet and run cool. One is even an external pump and it barely gets warm to the touch. In over 2 years I've only had to clean one and it was easy. I have a 4th DC12000 that has just been sitting on a shelf in case I ever need a back up!

Unread 03/22/2016, 05:55 AM   #81
KevinsHVAC
Registered Member

I will soon be posting up my thoughts on the DCs. I have 4 DCT15000's. 2 for closed loop, 2 for returns. I am curious though how they will do with my returns. I have it going 1 1/2 out reduced to a 1" header and then to 3/4" line locs. Each return pump will feed 4 separate return line. See pic, not the best pic but it will help you get an idea. There is probably 4ft of line coming from the sump to the top of the tank where it splits off. I am hoping it doesn't lose to much flow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160321_183202_resized.jpg (33.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20160321_183152_resized.jpg (42.3 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 20160319_230348_resized.jpg (30.6 KB, 165 views)
KevinsHVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2016, 11:48 AM   #82
kriv4o
Registered Member

DCT 15000 issues

I' ve been using a dct 15000 for about 6 weeks now and I am having issues with it already. I use it as a return on my whole system: 40b, 30l and 2 10 gallons sharing a common sump. I've been using the pump on the 4th speed. 4 times already I find it stopped and the controller blinking. It usually starts up if I unplug it for a few minutes. Until today when it starts back up fir a minute but lacks pressure and shuts down again.
Has anyone had issues like that, or does anyone know of a solution to this. I knew it won't be super long lasting pump but I hoped I would get at least a tear out of it.....

JBJ 24g NanoCube rescue project
kriv4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2016, 12:00 PM   #83
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriv4o View Post
I' ve been using a dct 15000 for about 6 weeks now and I am having issues with it already. I use it as a return on my whole system: 40b, 30l and 2 10 gallons sharing a common sump. I've been using the pump on the 4th speed. 4 times already I find it stopped and the controller blinking. It usually starts up if I unplug it for a few minutes. Until today when it starts back up fir a minute but lacks pressure and shuts down again.
Has anyone had issues like that, or does anyone know of a solution to this. I knew it won't be super long lasting pump but I hoped I would get at least a tear out of it.....
That seems like a LOT of flow for your system. I also have a DCT 15000 on my system and we have it set to power level 3. My system is a 300g with 90g dump. Our pump has been running for almost a year without a single problem thus far.

Have you removed the pump and cleaned it to be sure it is free of obstructions. These pumps need to be cleaned from time to time or they can stop working like you have described.

Unread 03/27/2016, 04:21 PM   #84
kriv4o
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
That seems like a LOT of flow for your system. I also have a DCT 15000 on my system and we have it set to power level 3. My system is a 300g with 90g dump. Our pump has been running for almost a year without a single problem thus far.

Have you removed the pump and cleaned it to be sure it is free of obstructions. These pumps need to be cleaned from time to time or they can stop working like you have described.
The pump was working just fine. On 3d setting it was feeding 3 returns and 2 reactors as well as providing some extra flow in the sump.
Upon further inspection it looks like the impeller has seized for some reason. I took it apart and it was really tough to spin by hand. It was much harder than when it was new. I put a crap ton of lube(NSF) on the bushing that seemed to be causing the problem and that made it easier to spin. I put it back together and plugged it in to see if would even spin, and it did. Hooked it up back in the sump and no dice. Same crap again. It won't start and the controller would blink tge first 3 and last 2 lights on the power settings.....
I would like to get a new impeller just to m ake sure that's not it, but no luck so far in finding a replacement. ... If anyone knows a sours for spare parts please share.
Also worst case scenario what would be a good choice for a replacement return pump?

JBJ 24g NanoCube rescue project
kriv4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 09:49 AM   #85
jrp1588
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriv4o View Post
The pump was working just fine. On 3d setting it was feeding 3 returns and 2 reactors as well as providing some extra flow in the sump.
Upon further inspection it looks like the impeller has seized for some reason. I took it apart and it was really tough to spin by hand. It was much harder than when it was new. I put a crap ton of lube(NSF) on the bushing that seemed to be causing the problem and that made it easier to spin. I put it back together and plugged it in to see if would even spin, and it did. Hooked it up back in the sump and no dice. Same crap again. It won't start and the controller would blink tge first 3 and last 2 lights on the power settings.....
I would like to get a new impeller just to m ake sure that's not it, but no luck so far in finding a replacement. ... If anyone knows a sours for spare parts please share.
Also worst case scenario what would be a good choice for a replacement return pump?
I'm running into the same issue with a DCT 4000. Impeller is tough to spin, random shut downs, etc. When removed, if you turn the impeller in its bushing, it sounds kind of gritty. I'm currently soaking in vinegar to see if that helps.

EDIT: 20 minutes of soaking and things are looking promising. Impeller spins much more easily in it's bushing, but still catches a bit occasionally. I'm going to try soaking for longer. I suspect this might be caused by my kalk drip, which is set to drip directly into my return chamber.

Last edited by jrp1588; 04/02/2016 at 10:09 AM.
jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 11:31 AM   #86
xcvnhvj
Registered Member

That's a bummer. Must say that I've not had a lick of trouble with my Jebao power heads and two are 15 months old (but it's not long term). I have actually had more trouble with my vortech pumps ironically (one of them threw a prop). I'm willing to roll the dice with a power head but not with my main pump.

xcvnhvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2016, 11:51 AM   #87
jrp1588
Registered Member

After the vinegar bath, the impeller is spinning freely as it should. All fixed!

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2016, 12:01 PM   #88
blaujess
Registered Member

Dc 12000 one year no problem

blaujess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2016, 12:00 PM   #89
DavidinGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinsHVAC View Post
I will soon be posting up my thoughts on the DCs. I have 4 DCT15000's. 2 for closed loop, 2 for returns. I am curious though how they will do with my returns. I have it going 1 1/2 out reduced to a 1" header and then to 3/4" line locs. Each return pump will feed 4 separate return line. See pic, not the best pic but it will help you get an idea. There is probably 4ft of line coming from the sump to the top of the tank where it splits off. I am hoping it doesn't lose to much flow.

Ever get the DCS going? Looking at picking one up...

Current tank: 6ft 210gal SPS, 3~eBay led boxes, 4~80w T5's, sro3000int, RW20's, Reef Angel, reactors, pumps, rocks, sand, yadda yadda yadda...
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2016, 03:02 PM   #90
KevinsHVAC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Ever get the DCS going? Looking at picking one up...
Have not had a chance yet to fill the tank up, i am hoping to do so this week. I will def keep you guys posted.

KevinsHVAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2016, 12:22 AM   #91
Ontheway
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontheway View Post
Dc10000, running for 8 months. Speed is at 3. You can sleep next to it.
Its in 20th month now and did not clean it yet, noise increased a bit and not dead-silent anymore but nowhere near annoying, either. Performance wise, I still use led3, provides more then I need, no problems here.

Unread 05/05/2016, 12:41 AM   #92
Sangheili
Registered Member

I have 3 DC Jebaos:

2x DC9000's on my display. Running flawlessly for 18+ months now with no cleanings. Both original Power supplies have failed and been replaced. Recently purchased a meanwell sealed power supply that I will be wiring up to them.

1x DCT15000 on a quarantine system. Been running roughly 10 months with no cleanings and no issues. Pushes a LOT of water.

I also have several Jebao powerheads:

Roughly 8 or so RW series (some 4, some 8, some 15, some 20) that have been running flawlessly for 10+ months. No powersupply issues.

2x 3 year old WP-10's - one still running, the other siezed up and died in the first 6 months.

Sangheili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 10:03 AM   #93
ghhji
Registered Member

Is it from vibration, and if so, can't be helped by placing a rubber pad under it ?

ghhji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 10:27 PM   #94
trilinearmipmap
Registered Member

Setting up a 75 FOWLR, looking at a DCS 5000 for my return pump, is this a good choice or should I go with the DCS 7000. My overflow will be Herbie with a 1" siphon drain and a 1" emergency drain. The return pump will be from the sump (in stand) so about 5 feet of head height plus extra for twists and turns in the pipe.

trilinearmipmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 10:32 PM   #95
Newguy76
Registered Member

I have the Dct 15000 on my 150g middle setting on 3 ft head t off duel returns. It's quiet and so far so good. If it runs dry it turns off in 2 min.

Newguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 11:21 PM   #96
ccrider93
Registered Member

DC6000, 18 Months

I have a DC6k, no complaints on noise. I will say it's been running on my 200 gallon fresh tank. No issues, no complaints, quiet and has even been running for close to 6 months in 85F water, I'm running it that high for discus. Works nicely.

I like it so much I bought a new one for a 180 reef.

ccrider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 12:22 AM   #97
Sid the sloth
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site.
I'm glad I found this thread as I also a few jebao/jecod pumps. I have a dct 12000 works great and has been running for around 18months not one problem. The other pump is a dc2000 which powers my d500 Skimmer, fortunately this pump isn't as good. I'm on my second pump for the skimmer and this one is starting to show signs of failing and did fail when I was away for 4 days. Came back to it not working, the controller was still working but not the pump. I have got of working again but once power is cut, the pump falls to start everytime. Both pumps seem to only last 8 months then die. Fish street where kind enough to send a free pump when the first one failed. They will want me to pay for the next one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sid the sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 05:34 PM   #98
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

From a cost stand point they can not be beat.

I have 10 powerheads WPs and RW.... Half have died between the 18 month and 24 months. I have found that you can get a little longer life on some that quit if you take a screw driver and keep hitting the propeller a few times... This will work for another few months.

They are still so cheap compared to the "other" competitors that it is still cheaper to have a back up then buy the other guys for 4-500.

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2016, 09:52 PM   #99
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

I had an original DC-10000 run without any issues for about three years when I set up my current tank (in sump). The last month I started having problems when I turned the pump off to do water changes that the impeller would stick and had to manually get it started and then it would run. This morning I pronounced it dead. Hope the newer version of these pumps will hast another three years. For $140 shipped to my door I just purchased a DCT-15000. Really wanted to upgrade to a higher quality pump but do not have $750 to spend.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2016, 06:57 AM   #100
ksicard
Registered Member

I have one of the original DC return pumps they made when they first came out and its been running for 3 years now I believe. a couple of months back it died and i bought a replacement. but after i soaked it in vinegar its back online and working like a charm. I'll keep it as a backup.

ksicard is offline   Reply With Quote