Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2017, 09:22 AM   #101
this is me
Registered Member

Fish have always been an issue with me. Seems like everytime I do a tank transfer, they always give me some kind of issue. I don't think I ever got rid of ick in the water since day one of my reefing. I keep using half of the water from the old tank in the new tank so the darn thing probably still in the water til this day. But then again, I read somewhere that you will never be able to rid of ick in the water. It's always present in the water.
I just seem to have a huge outbreak during tank transfer.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:01 AM   #102
j4mypets
Registered Member

Have you ever tried the Ruby Reef products? They have a kick ick, that worked great for me. I had used it to treat a coral beauty that was absolutely covered. You use it in stages and it can be dosed right into DT. Within a week spots were almost gone, then in another week completely gone, and no other fish were affected. Worked like a charm for me. I found them by watching their videos a reef show. Great company.

Unread 02/16/2017, 12:17 PM   #103
125mph
Registered Member

Very nice sps colonies. Do you have a thread that shows your maintenance work on that, what you're dosing, what you're feeding, etc.? Just curious!

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2017, 03:54 PM   #104
BjornTurok
Registered Member

Did I miss something or were you not putting two MP60's on here? Any reason for the change? Also love the dimensions, same exact size i've been planning for a while. How do you like the flow your getting?

BjornTurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2017, 07:41 AM   #105
thirst
Registered Member

We're the powder blue and whitetail bristle tooth new fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:14 PM   #106
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornTurok View Post
Did I miss something or were you not putting two MP60's on here? Any reason for the change? Also love the dimensions, same exact size i've been planning for a while. How do you like the flow your getting?
I bought two MP60QD for the tank. However, upon installing the MP60s, I realize the overflow box is so wide and deep that I can't mount the two MP60s where I really want to have the flow that is good for the tank. I could only mount the MP60s toward the sides of the overflow which means, the pumps are two close to the sides of the glass. I was never happy with the flow. The other end of the tank received almost no flow even at 100% power. And we all know how loud these MPs can be at 100% despite that fact that it's a quiet drive. But I ran it anyway for about a week while waiting for the Tunze 6255s to come in.
When I received the Tunze, I install the magnet inside the overflow box and was very happy with the flow. Even at 30% power, the 6255 can push the water to the other end of the tank. I've been running anti sync pulse mode on these two 6255s and very very happy with the result of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
We're the powder blue and whitetail bristle tooth new fish?

Powder blue was added a couple days before a white tail bristle which was from another member. I first thought it was from his tank that he has for awhile. Only to find out, it was ordered from NY Aquatic and was too big in his tank.
I don't regret what has transpired, just a little disappointed at myself that I haven't learned anything from the previous 3 tank transfers that fish were the most troublesome for me. I'm slowly restocking the fish...
Been having very good result with fish from Liveaquaria and it's currently the only place I've bought from to add to the tank.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:17 PM   #107
this is me
Registered Member

Some pictures from today.

Very pleased with the outcome of the tank.

Last edited by this is me; 03/09/2017 at 09:22 PM.
Unread 03/09/2017, 09:21 PM   #108
this is me
Registered Member

Red Planet

This is a broken frag of the above in a much higher light. I like it!

My Precious! Oregon Tort. Such a classic!

Red Dragon

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:25 PM   #109
this is me
Registered Member

Strawberry Sorbet

Hawkin

Bubblegum

Samentosa

Pink Panther

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:28 PM   #110
Brunzy
Registered Member

This is a stunningly beautiful tank!
Can I ask what camera you are using to take pictures with?

Brunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 09:29 PM   #111
this is me
Registered Member

This is my all time favorite. If I can only keep one, it probably would be this one.
Pink Lemonade

Another Classic. Pearl Berry

Acropora Sp. I'm starting to like it.

And two very special acros to a friend whom I'm holding them for. Hope he will get the tank up and running soon.

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:31 PM   #112
this is me
Registered Member

Well, I ran out of time, the MH turned off and I don't feel like taking pictures of corals under Halloween lighting. Will continue the update tomorrow and compile a video over the weekend.

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:35 PM   #113
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunzy View Post
This is a stunningly beautiful tank!
Can I ask what camera you are using to take pictures with?
Photography is my other hobby so I got all the gear that a typical reefer probably don't have. I shoot with a D800 with various lenses but most are with 105mm macro lens.

Unread 03/11/2017, 11:36 AM   #114
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow! Just gorgeous shots and super healthy corals!
Love your fts shots and the macros.
Just a pleasure to look at.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 01:36 PM   #115
thaitopher
Registered Member

Amazing. Random question, how do you plan on installing floors in your basement with that tank already in place? Cant imagine how much the total weight must be...10,000 pounds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thaitopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 03:09 PM   #116
saf1
Registered Member

This is me - really great job on the whole project. I always find it incredible some of the work people do here on this forum. It takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to do projects like this. I have a 240 still sitting in its crate in my garage because I can't finish my simple den with Wainscot and paint. Yet you have knocked out an entire basement.

Really impressive and the results are incredible.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 06:50 PM   #117
Xebadir
Registered Member

Wow - this is a seriously amazing tank. Being in a similar situation in terms of having to do work on the basement (not quite as serious as you had to though), its nice to see someone with a similar starting level of DIY experience take on this scale of project. In terms of the tank this is a beautiful build that I will definitely be keeping track of as it continues to evolve (sad to hear about the first loss - cursed powder blue tangs). Definitely inspiring in terms of the photography as well - will be looking forward to using my D800 once my setup is in place - I've been looking for an excuse to buy a 105 macro .

Xebadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 09:34 PM   #118
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow! Just gorgeous shots and super healthy corals!
Love your fts shots and the macros.
Just a pleasure to look at.
Thanks! Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaitopher View Post
Amazing. Random question, how do you plan on installing floors in your basement with that tank already in place? Cant imagine how much the total weight must be...10,000 pounds?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi,
I plan on tiling around the around. It's definitely a lot of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
Wow - this is a seriously amazing tank. Being in a similar situation in terms of having to do work on the basement (not quite as serious as you had to though), its nice to see someone with a similar starting level of DIY experience take on this scale of project. In terms of the tank this is a beautiful build that I will definitely be keeping track of as it continues to evolve (sad to hear about the first loss - cursed powder blue tangs). Definitely inspiring in terms of the photography as well - will be looking forward to using my D800 once my setup is in place - I've been looking for an excuse to buy a 105 macro .
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
This is me - really great job on the whole project. I always find it incredible some of the work people do here on this forum. It takes a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to do projects like this. I have a 240 still sitting in its crate in my garage because I can't finish my simple den with Wainscot and paint. Yet you have knocked out an entire basement.

Really impressive and the results are incredible.
Thanks. You will just have to chip away a little at a time. I usually take long breaks between one stage to another just to recoup my energy and also the bank. lol

Unread 03/11/2017, 09:38 PM   #119
this is me
Registered Member

More pictures from today.
FTS

Peninsula end

Some fish

Unread 03/11/2017, 09:41 PM   #120
this is me
Registered Member

Tricolor

Hawkin

Upscale Microlado

Teal Stag

Blue Matrix

Unread 03/11/2017, 09:43 PM   #121
this is me
Registered Member

Diablo

Blue Stag

Tricolor

Red Table

Unread 03/11/2017, 09:45 PM   #122
this is me
Registered Member

Hawkin again. I have like 3 colonies. Everytime I break something I glue it somewhere else in the tank.

Top Down

Unread 03/11/2017, 09:46 PM   #123
Gbtipp
Registered Member

You have a lovely piece of the ocean.

Gbtipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 09:47 PM   #124
SPotter
Registered Member

wow!!!! beautiful!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2017, 09:50 PM   #125
this is me
Registered Member

Well. I ran out of time again. Actinic turned on...