Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/19/2008, 12:01 AM   #51
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bored4long
What prompted you to use one? How necessary do you think it is?
For a couple of reasons:

1) Preventing channeling within the media.

2) Preventing air pockets within the media that kills the anaerobic bacteria which we're trying to culture.

It really is not much different from calcium reactors if you think about it. You don't really need to recirculate inside calcium reactors either. It just makes it more efficient because of the reasons explained above.

HTH,
djfrankie

Unread 01/19/2008, 12:02 AM   #52
djfrankie
Moved On

Sorry double post.

Unread 01/19/2008, 12:09 AM   #53
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by hansmatt
so this idea takes away from the fun of a DIY project, but couldn't you mod a TLF Phosphate reactor and get something similar? Size would be a factor (too small?) and you'd have to drill a port for de-gassing. A continual loop with an intake and output on either side of the pump would be a pretty easy. Any thoughts?
I'm missing the part where the idea takes away from the fun of a DIY project???

There are people that have modded Eheim canister filters, filter canisters and the such and it works for them.

I rather go larger than smaller in this case.

djfrankie

Unread 01/20/2008, 03:53 PM   #54
bawla47
Premium Member

hey, had 1 question, whered you pick up the gasket materal from? what type material would you recomend?

Unread 01/20/2008, 06:14 PM   #55
tinysuperbug
Registered Member

Did you do anything special to make the seal between the top flange and cap? Most flanges I've seen have lettering/etc on that surface. Was yours smooth?

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to post up this diy.

Unread 01/20/2008, 06:17 PM   #56
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bawla47
hey, had 1 question, whered you pick up the gasket materal from? what type material would you recomend?
Neoprene works really good and you could probalby find it at some auto parts.

What I'm using is shower liner. They sell it at Home Depot.

HTH,
djfrankie

Unread 01/20/2008, 06:18 PM   #57
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by tinysuperbug

Did you do anything special to make the seal between the top flange and cap? Most flanges I've seen have lettering/etc on that surface. Was yours smooth?

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to post up this diy.
You're absolutely right. The lettering was smoothed out with a dremel.

djfrankie

Unread 01/20/2008, 06:36 PM   #58
siskiou
Registered Member

Excellent!

I was hoping to find something like this (I always seem to need detailed instructions for diy projects, and your's are great)!
Going to head to HD tomorrow and get to work.

I have a question: is there a trick to drilling acrylic without ruining the drill bit in the process? Mine always get gunked up with melted acrylic that I can't get off.

And would an MJ 400 or 900 be too week as the recirc pump?
I have those two lying around.

Unread 01/20/2008, 08:23 PM   #59
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by siskiou
Excellent!

I was hoping to find something like this (I always seem to need detailed instructions for diy projects, and your's are great)!
Going to head to HD tomorrow and get to work.

I have a question: is there a trick to drilling acrylic without ruining the drill bit in the process? Mine always get gunked up with melted acrylic that I can't get off.

And would an MJ 400 or 900 be too week as the recirc pump?
I have those two lying around.
Start drilling with a 1/8" drill bit as a pilot drill, then go to the 1/4".

I use unibits and they leave a really nice cut.

Use the 900 if you got it. If it's too weak just buy the 1200 and mount it on the same impeller housing. They use the same housing, but it should be ok.

HTH,
djfrankie

Unread 01/21/2008, 10:37 AM   #60
zachtos
Registered Member

I have started construction of a Sulfur Denitrator using this same design posted by the operator. I made a few minor changes, but will post photos and results as I near completion.

A few things I altered:
*Using a mag3 instead of a maxijet
*Ordered my sulfur 99.9% media from bghyrdro.com to save money
*created the media strainer disk using a flat 4" insert PVC endcap... I cut off the ridges w/ a dremel bit, and then perforated it quickly and easily w/ a 1/8" drill bit. PVC doesn't melt/crack easily like Acrylic, and it was cheap.
*Used 4" female adapters with male threaded 4" plugs on both ends... so much easier then worrying about 'gaskets' 'flanges' and what not. Cost less too.

I would say the grand total for this project has came to about: $175.

*** They do sell 6" PVC at menards, but all the fittings and pipe are so very expensive that it's cheaper to make dual 4" units probably, I may upgrade to a 6" unit in the future, but I only have about 5-10ppm nitrates holding fairly steadily... I just want to be able to feed the tank more often again, my skimmer is as fully modded/upgraded as possible, I have a RDSB (55G) and 2 refugiums (75/50G) on my 500G water volume system and still need more denitrating!

Current Tank Info: 300G reef under construction
Unread 01/21/2008, 03:34 PM   #61
Black71gp
Registered Member

I have a bunch of 6" PVC pipe, would be nice ot use 6" for the sulfur part and then 4" for the media part... but then fittings are so expensive i wish i could figure out another way to attach ends and such on the PVC

Current Tank Info: 315 reef... with a 900 gallon lagoon. and 100 gallon skimmer :)
Unread 01/21/2008, 04:55 PM   #62
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by zachtos
I have started construction of a Sulfur Denitrator using this same design posted by the operator. I made a few minor changes, but will post photos and results as I near completion.

A few things I altered:
*Using a mag3 instead of a maxijet
*Ordered my sulfur 99.9% media from bghyrdro.com to save money
*created the media strainer disk using a flat 4" insert PVC endcap... I cut off the ridges w/ a dremel bit, and then perforated it quickly and easily w/ a 1/8" drill bit. PVC doesn't melt/crack easily like Acrylic, and it was cheap.
*Used 4" female adapters with male threaded 4" plugs on both ends... so much easier then worrying about 'gaskets' 'flanges' and what not. Cost less too.

I would say the grand total for this project has came to about: $175.

*** They do sell 6" PVC at menards, but all the fittings and pipe are so very expensive that it's cheaper to make dual 4" units probably, I may upgrade to a 6" unit in the future, but I only have about 5-10ppm nitrates holding fairly steadily... I just want to be able to feed the tank more often again, my skimmer is as fully modded/upgraded as possible, I have a RDSB (55G) and 2 refugiums (75/50G) on my 500G water volume system and still need more denitrating!
Great !

Can't wait to see pics of it.

Couple of things:
Fix the link so other people can find the media you're talking about.
Wondering if the media you're talking about comes in a powder form as this has already been tried and found to clog the system very easily.

HTH,
djfrankie

Unread 01/21/2008, 05:33 PM   #63
siskiou
Registered Member

Got a quick question: you use a 5/8 Forstner bit to drill out the holes, but need a 3/8 pipe tap for the threads?
Just don't want to buy the wrong stuff!

And the Jaco fittings are 3/8"?

Unread 01/21/2008, 10:26 PM   #64
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Got a quick question: you use a 5/8 Forstner bit to drill out the holes, but need a 3/8 pipe tap for the threads?
Just don't want to buy the wrong stuff!

And the Jaco fittings are 3/8"?
Got it!

1/2" CPVC is 5/8" diameter on the outside. So yes, 5/8" for the 1/2" CPVC tubing and 3/8" pipe thread for your valves.

djfrankie

Unread 01/21/2008, 10:34 PM   #65
siskiou
Registered Member

Thanks!

What about the hole for the effluent out?
Do I need a smaller Forstner bit for that, or do they have 1/2" Jaco fittings?

Unread 01/22/2008, 12:45 AM   #66
NewbieGoneCrazy
Registered Member

Hi DjFrankie

I have a few questions in regard to sulphur filtration. I bought a fluidized Bed Filter, which I am going to use for a sulphur filtration. After reading your post, I realise that my filter does not have "degassing output", would that be a problem?

I plan to use only one chamber with 3 medias, which are RowaPhos, sulphur and aragonite. Could you please help me with the best arrangement for the medias from bottom to the top? Will that actually work?

Also, I read somewhere that using filter foam is not recommended as it gets clog very easy, is that true? and how often do you have to clean the filter?

Thanks in advance
NGC

Unread 01/22/2008, 03:10 AM   #67
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Thanks!

What about the hole for the effluent out?
Do I need a smaller Forstner bit for that, or do they have 1/2" Jaco fittings?
That's 3/8" pipe threaded as well.

djfrankie

Unread 01/22/2008, 03:21 AM   #68
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbieGoneCrazy
Hi DjFrankie

I have a few questions in regard to sulphur filtration. I bought a fluidized Bed Filter, which I am going to use for a sulphur filtration. After reading your post, I realise that my filter does not have "degassing output", would that be a problem?
How would you get the gasses out then?

Quote:
I plan to use only one chamber with 3 medias, which are RowaPhos, sulphur and aragonite. Could you please help me with the best arrangement for the medias from bottom to the top? Will that actually work?
I would just do the sulfur media in one reactor. Rowaphos exhausts rapidly (few weeks) when compared to sulfur media (over 2 years). Everytime you open the reactor to replace the media you will have to cycle it. Ideally you would have the aragontite too in a smaller reactor where it could be easily changed without disturbing the anaerobic bacteria inside the sulfur reactor.

Quote:
Also, I read somewhere that using filter foam is not recommended as it gets clog very easy, is that true? and how often do you have to clean the filter?

Thanks in advance
NGC
I suppose it will depend on the foam. Major manufacturers use it inside calcium reactors and nitrate reactors with no problem.

HTH,
djfrankie

Unread 01/22/2008, 06:46 PM   #69
siskiou
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djfrankie
That's 3/8" pipe threaded as well.

djfrankie
Right, but does the hole itself get drilled with the 5/8" Forstner bit, too.

Or does it need to be smaller?

Unread 01/22/2008, 08:25 PM   #70
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Right, but does the hole itself get drilled with the 5/8" Forstner bit, too.

Or does it need to be smaller?
Sorry If I wasn't clear ..You will have to drill those holes 1/2" then thread them with the 3/8" pipe thread.

djfrankie

Unread 01/22/2008, 08:28 PM   #71
asmodeus
SKIMMER WHORE

Well I got most of the stuff already , going to start building here really soon will let you know how it goes. wish me luck......

Unread 01/22/2008, 08:29 PM   #72
djfrankie
Moved On

Hmmm....good luck ...LOL

djfrankie

Unread 01/22/2008, 08:46 PM   #73
chicken
Premium Member

asmodeus.... good luck. I am out in the garage right now doing some glue-ups so I'll update my thread here in a few hours with some progress pictures.

-Chris

Unread 01/22/2008, 08:53 PM   #74
djfrankie
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by chicken
asmodeus.... good luck. I am out in the garage right now doing some glue-ups so I'll update my thread here in a few hours with some progress pictures.

-Chris
Hey Chris,
nice to see you here.

djfrankie

Unread 01/25/2008, 07:10 AM   #75
NewbieGoneCrazy
Registered Member

Quote:
How would you get the gasses out then?
Thanks DJFrankie for your advice, I will drill a small hole and attach an air tubing on the top of the reactor. Do you always have it open, or have it open once in a while to get the gas out? How often do you get the gas out?

Quote:
I would just do the sulfur media in one reactor. Rowaphos exhausts rapidly (few weeks) when compared to sulfur media (over 2 years). Everytime you open the reactor to replace the media you will have to cycle it. Ideally you would have the aragontite too in a smaller reactor where it could be easily changed without disturbing the anaerobic bacteria inside the sulfur reactor.
I will place my RowaPhos in my canister filter. I am in a very tight budget at the moment. In the mean time, I can only afford one FBF, so I will use the reactor for sulfur and aragonite. How often do you have to replace the aragonite?

Quote:
I suppose it will depend on the foam. Major manufacturers use it inside calcium reactors and nitrate reactors with no problem.
What foam brand do you recommend?

Thanks Mate for your help
NGC

Closed Thread