Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Fishmommy
Registered Member

Superglue accelerator use

I am wondering if I can use accelerator when gluing corals to my rockscape underwater. Process would look like: gel glue on coral out of water, add accelerator, quickly submerge and mount.
Would the glue set too fast to pull this off? Would the accelerator wash off when it hits the water?

I can try it, but hopefully someone already has and can give me some tips.
Thanks!

Unread 09/06/2017, 02:15 PM   #2
ktownhero
Registered Member

That won't work out too well. What you want to do is get some epoxy like JB Water Weld and do a gel glue/epoxy sandwich.

You make a lump of epoxy and use gel superglue to glue it to the bottom of your frag. THEN, you add glue to the bottom of the lump of epoxy and put it in the water and mount it by pressing it down into the rock so it reaches into the crevices. This works exceptionally well.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 02:56 PM   #3
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
That won't work out too well. What you want to do is get some epoxy like JB Water Weld and do a gel glue/epoxy sandwich.

You make a lump of epoxy and use gel superglue to glue it to the bottom of your frag. THEN, you add glue to the bottom of the lump of epoxy and put it in the water and mount it by pressing it down into the rock so it reaches into the crevices. This works exceptionally well.
This is what I do also, works great!

I dont think you need accelerator. From what I can tell super glue seems to sets when it contacts saltwater.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:23 AM   #4
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:

^This. Ever since I started to do it this way I haven't had a frag break free from the rock. Even when a big Turbo Snail bumps into it. The epoxy molds to the rock when you press down so there is more surface area to glue down.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Heuristic
Registered Member

I may need to try this epoxy method. Right now I just use gel super glue and it's a pain in the *** to get the frag to actually stick to the rocks

Heuristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 09:08 AM   #6
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
I may need to try this epoxy method. Right now I just use gel super glue and it's a pain in the *** to get the frag to actually stick to the rocks
I promise that if you do what I said, it will change your frag-setting life

Unread 09/07/2017, 10:08 AM   #7
hart24601
Registered Member

I tried the epoxy sandwich but never loved it, now I just use superglue but I read a tip from GARF that really made it easy. Put a little bit of the gel glue on your finger and rub it on the spot (in tank on rock) you want the coral. With that base set on the rock you can put glue on the frag and it will stick just fine. I have found personally this beats the epoxy sandwich.

hart24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 11:00 AM   #8
Heuristic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart24601 View Post
I tried the epoxy sandwich but never loved it, now I just use superglue but I read a tip from GARF that really made it easy. Put a little bit of the gel glue on your finger and rub it on the spot (in tank on rock) you want the coral. With that base set on the rock you can put glue on the frag and it will stick just fine. I have found personally this beats the epoxy sandwich.
Ohhh... I like this idea. I may have to try it. If not
Quote:
I promise that if you do what I said, it will change your frag-setting life
Certainly switching to this.

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:04 AM   #9
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah but who wants super glue on their fingers?

Epoxy and glue sandwich has worked well for me.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 11:11 AM   #10
Heuristic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Yeah but who wants super glue on their fingers?

Epoxy and glue sandwich has worked well for me.
I get super glue all over my fingers(I wear gloves though) every time I frag

Unread 09/08/2017, 11:14 AM   #11
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart24601 View Post
There's no possible way that beats the epoxy sandwich You have to use epoxy putty, not 2 part liquid epoxy.