Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2014, 07:03 PM   #1
savethereef
SCRK

OT: Motorcycles

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a first motorcycle. I was looking into the Kawasaki Ninja 250 or a little bigger. Ive looked into craigslist but I dont want to get burned. Any tips from any one? Was thinking of a 1000 but I know there really powerful. Then again you can make a fast bike slow but you cant make a slow bike fast. As long as you respect the bike.

Rob aka STR

SCRK & SCMAS MEMBER

Current Tank Info: Leemar 450g 96L x36W x 30T 3/4 inch Starfire With 70g Sump Vertex 250 Royal Exclusive protein Skimmer Laguna 2900 Return pump 5 Aquaillumination Hydra's LED Modules. 4 Tunze Stream Bubble Magus Doser. Reef Keeper Elite
savethereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Speaker73
Registered Member

Deleted

Speaker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 07:24 PM   #3
pciscott
Pirates Cove Reef

Rob with age comes a cage!

Current Tank Info: Pirates Cove 400 Gallon Peninsula with 10 Ecotech Gen 4 Pro Lights, SPS heavy mixed Reef, Tank Controlled by Apex back up monitoring by Profilux, Tropic Marin Pro Salt, Brightwell Suplements and Bio Bricks, Way too many Fish! Keep it simple!
pciscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 09:24 PM   #4
bullitr
broke but happy

No
You got kids my friend

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 09:39 PM   #5
ivan osornio
Moved On

I think a 750 will be ok to start.
I started with a 998s and I loved it !!

ivan osornio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 09:50 PM   #6
m0nkie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan osornio View Post
I think a 750 will be ok to start.
I started with a 998s and I loved it !!
you started with a freaking ducati? ballllerrrr!! I'm saving for a Ducati Monster.. coulda bought one if i didn't get this tank..

250 is a great starting bike. I started with a Suzuki SV650. I think the 650 is a little better. It's not as sporty as the 600 or 1000CC, but it has some speed. You will grow out of a 250 within 6 month. the SV650 you can track and learn. When you grow tired of the SV650, change it to a 600cc or 1000.

I've seen so many pros with SV650 smoking Gixxers or CBR 600s

Unread 10/31/2014, 11:32 PM   #7
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
No
You got kids my friend
Having just sold my bike I've gotta say that's the best advice right there. I was a motorcycle courier for a bit and was always picking up papers from hospitals, every third time someone who was there due to a bike accident telling me to sell it while I was still healthy.

I made the decision once a doctor told me that in the medical field they call them "donorcycles" since that's where a lot of organs come from. I used to wear a GoPro and have quite a few close calls on YouTube, one time I almost hit a ladder on the 10 doing 70... If you have people who worry about you pick a less dangerous hobby like maybe lion taming or something, drivers just don't pay attention in Socal.

Just my 2 cents...

Unread 11/01/2014, 12:31 AM   #8
bullitr
broke but happy

OT: Motorcycles

When i was 20 i was working in trauma but about to buy a ninja 900 then the "DONORCYCLE" as miguel puts it came in the door in 2 separate stretch chair changes my mind.

no more hyposalinity...

Unread 11/01/2014, 01:14 AM   #9
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

^+1

If you want a motor bike, start with a dirt bike. Learn what it feels like crashing on dirt a couple times. Then decide if you want to play with cars and trucks.

I love motorcycles, but in SoCal, you really need to concider the danger. It's extremely real.

I'll buy a bike again someday, when I don't have as many responsibilities and when I have the time to just cruise up North. The risk is just too great at this point in my life to be riding around congested city streets and freeways. I've already had my fair share of close calls.

Download your local news app. Start scanning the stories for motorcycle crashes. I see about one major crash (sometimes fatal) reported about every two weeks.

All it takes is an old lady turning left and it's lights out.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 01:33 AM   #10
m0nkie
Registered Member

or do track only if you want to feel some thrill without too much danger. if you have a truck and a trailer, it'll be a fun Saturday event. Tow the bike to Buttonwillow Friday night, rent a garage, race with friends in the morning.

Unread 11/01/2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Speaker73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
Having just sold my bike I've gotta say that's the best advice right there. I was a motorcycle courier for a bit and was always picking up papers from hospitals, every third time someone who was there due to a bike accident telling me to sell it while I was still healthy.

I made the decision once a doctor told me that in the medical field they call them "donorcycles" since that's where a lot of organs come from. I used to wear a GoPro and have quite a few close calls on YouTube, one time I almost hit a ladder on the 10 doing 70... If you have people who worry about you pick a less dangerous hobby like maybe lion taming or something, drivers just don't pay attention in Socal.

Just my 2 cents...
+1. I originally posted the donorcycle info but thought it was a bit much. I work in a hospital and see the sad results of those "donorcycle" accidents.

Speaker73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 11:46 AM   #12
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

IMO life is too short to be scared of having a little fun. If u really wanted to be safe, sit at home and do nothing the rest of your life. Lol. No thank you!!

If u have never ridden on the street before, I would look into getting a supermoto. My first bike was a DRZ-400 supermoto. Super fun to ride around on, but not fast enough to hurt myself. I learned a lot on that bike, and would do it all the same if I had the chance. I have had 5 or 6 different motorcycles, and now own my fav. 2007 Suzuki gsxr 750. Awesome bike, great power, still relatively light.

Also look at KTM or Husquvarna. I had a Husquvarna 510 supermoto. That was a great bike. Fuel injected with a TON of power. It maxed out at 95mph, so it's a little harder to kill your self on it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414863911.757785.jpg

Drz 400 super moto

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414863928.274595.jpg

husky 510
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414863955.663637.jpg

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 11:52 AM   #13
savethereef
SCRK

Man your all scaring me. I just want it to commute to the metro station. I burn 8 gallons a week on side streets with my H2 to get to train station to commute. I figure it would only be about down to one gallon every two weeks to just commute to train. I would not be riding this on freeway.

Rob aka STR

SCRK & SCMAS MEMBER

Current Tank Info: Leemar 450g 96L x36W x 30T 3/4 inch Starfire With 70g Sump Vertex 250 Royal Exclusive protein Skimmer Laguna 2900 Return pump 5 Aquaillumination Hydra's LED Modules. 4 Tunze Stream Bubble Magus Doser. Reef Keeper Elite
savethereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 11:56 AM   #14
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethereef View Post
Man your all scaring me. I just want it to commute to the metro station. I burn 8 gallons a week on side streets with my H2 to get to train station to commute. I figure it would only be about down to one gallon every two weeks to just commute to train. I would not be riding this on freeway.

U want a comfortable bike that gets good mileage, check out Hondas new cb300/500f. Really good looking bikes
http://m.powersports.honda.com/model...edirected=true

Or

http://m.powersports.honda.com/model...edirected=true

Unread 11/01/2014, 12:36 PM   #15
29reef
It's all about the flow

+1 for a light supermoto bike. And no matter how safe you ride there's always going to be some man or woman out there that doesn't see you and makes a left turn in front of you. My broken leg is proof of that.... Spend the money on good safety gear!

RIP-The Metal Halide- My SPS may never know such a great friend again.

Current Tank Info: Currently Tankless
29reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 01:15 PM   #16
bullitr
broke but happy

Get rid of the h2 and get a c7 30 miles on the freeway if you have lead foot.

no more hyposalinity...

Unread 11/01/2014, 01:43 PM   #17
AdamSabina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciscott View Post
+1

There's nothing like riding but ALL of my broken bones and surgery are from 2 wheels... Buy a convertible it will save money in the long run.

If you can't kick the habit and must ride. Look into getting a used bike they ALL have low miles (might be a hint). Spend the money you save on gear. Spend $500 on a helmet MINIMUM (how much is you life worth. Don't skip the boots either, broken feet are common. Gloves for comfort (even the carbon fiber ones have limits, wear as much gear as you can stand all the time.

Number one rule treat all car drivers like they are trying to kill you. I'll never stop riding but I did but life insurance and Aflac because of it.

AdamSabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 01:47 PM   #18
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
Get rid of the h2 and get a c7 30 miles on the freeway if you have lead foot.

Complains about bad fuel mileage, drives a H2. Hahahah. Sell that gas guzzler and get something more efficient.

Check out the new Ford Explorer ecoboost. Turbo 6 cylinder. I think it's 380hp. Gets good gas mileage, and prolly the same amount of room inside as ur H2. I tripped out the first time I rode in one, so small inside.

Unread 11/01/2014, 01:51 PM   #19
organism
code monkey

Quote:
I've had a lot more close calls on side streets than on the freeway, statistically they're way more dangerous. That's where you get people turning left in front of you, merging into your lane, and one really bad one that will happen to you at least twice a week is someone burning a red light to make a right hand turn because they figure no one made it across the intersection yet. You'll even have a few people here and there who try to run you into other cars or off the road because they think lane splitting is illegal and have road rage issues.

I got into an accident where a girl made a right hand turn from the left hand lane right into me, horn blaring and everything... A truck swerved at me because he didn't like me lane splitting and I hit my arm on their side mirror, hurt for months. imo only get a bike if you and anyone who depends on you are ok with the idea that you might be in a situation where the best case scenario is you never walk again because it saved a few gallons a week on gas or commute time. Riding a bike is a lot of fun, but riding one through traffic in Socal is imo reckless if you have a family.

Unread 11/01/2014, 01:52 PM   #20
organism
code monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
Complains about bad fuel mileage, drives a H2. Hahahah. Sell that gas guzzler and get something more efficient.

Check out the new Ford Explorer ecoboost. Turbo 6 cylinder. I think it's 380hp. Gets good gas mileage, and prolly the same amount of room inside as ur H2. I tripped out the first time I rode in one, so small inside.
Great advice right there

Unread 11/01/2014, 02:01 PM   #21
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Don't think anyone is trying to scare you, just some doses of reality. I was going the mile to classes one day and some guy making a left turn at a light took me out head on. Snapped the fork on my FZR600 in half. Not just bent. Still can't get on anything with only 2 wheels without tensing up. That was over 20+ years ago.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 07:42 PM   #22
lowbudget
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciscott View Post
Werd.... Listen to scott

lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 07:46 PM   #23
lowbudget
Registered Member

Don't listen to this tool. He rides his bike once a year to show off to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnitzelReef View Post
IMO life is too short to be scared of having a little fun. If u really wanted to be safe, sit at home and do nothing the rest of your life. Lol. No thank you!!

If u have never ridden on the street before, I would look into getting a supermoto. My first bike was a DRZ-400 supermoto. Super fun to ride around on, but not fast enough to hurt myself. I learned a lot on that bike, and would do it all the same if I had the chance. I have had 5 or 6 different motorcycles, and now own my fav. 2007 Suzuki gsxr 750. Awesome bike, great power, still relatively light.

Also look at KTM or Husquvarna. I had a Husquvarna 510 supermoto. That was a great bike. Fuel injected with a TON of power. It maxed out at 95mph, so it's a little harder to kill your self on it!

Attachment 295971

Drz 400 super moto

Attachment 295972

husky 510
Attachment 295973

Unread 11/01/2014, 07:46 PM   #24
lowbudget
Registered Member

Quote:
Ride a bicycle

Unread 11/01/2014, 07:53 PM   #25
lowbudget
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookstreet View Post
Don't think anyone is trying to scare you, just some doses of reality. I was going the mile to classes one day and some guy making a left turn at a light took me out head on. Snapped the fork on my FZR600 in half. Not just bent. Still can't get on anything with only 2 wheels without tensing up. That was over 20+ years ago.
Another true story. On the 710 s stupid camero clipped my bike got bump to the other lane bronco almost ran me over I was able to avoid the bronco. That didn't scare me. Car ran a red on the street tried to avoid bike low sided on the street. Skid to a stop car stop inches from my helmet. I sold my bike a month later.

If you looking to save gas something else is better. I loved bikes. But with all the responsibilities I have now. I can't risk it.