Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/22/2015, 12:26 PM   #1
himat
Registered Member

What are the differences in skimmer models

Hi,
I would like to Know what the difference in the deluxe model and the supermarine
which is suited best for.

looking at the 200 models to go on total volume 900 litres (760 main display tank )

Himat

himat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2015, 12:50 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by himat View Post
Hi,
I would like to Know what the difference in the deluxe model and the supermarine
which is suited best for.

looking at the 200 models to go on total volume 900 litres (760 main display tank )

Himat
Both the Supermarin and the Deluxe have the same build quality and use very thick and heavy acrylic. The Deluxe offers a bit more contact time and is better suited for dry skimming. It will also wet skim very well too. The Supermarin will not dry skim as well and has slightly less contact time but wet skims like a dream. These differences are due in part to the bubble plate design. In the US, the Supermarins are more popular in large part due to the fact that the Deluxes weren't really marketed and stocked in the US until recently plus most of us prefer to wet skim and the SM cost is a bit more attractive than the comparable Deluxe models. Both are great skimmers though and I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two because I prefer wet skimming. That said, if the cost isn't a factor, I'd likely lean towards the Deluxe 200 for your setup even though I run a Supermarin 250 and love it. Especially now that the Deluxe models come with the RD3 pumps.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/22/2015 at 12:58 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2015, 01:45 PM   #3
himat
Registered Member

slief.

Thank you for the quick reply, will look in to getting the deluxe 200 in the new year.

himat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2015, 01:52 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by himat View Post
slief.

Thank you for the quick reply, will look in to getting the deluxe 200 in the new year.
Glad to help! I think you will LOVE it! Every time I see a Deluxe 300 it makes me want to upgrade my SM250 to one as I do have a large heavily stocked system that would be well suited for that skimmer.. They are extremely well designed skimmers and it's a shame they haven't been better promoted here in the states. Then again, like I said, both the Supermarins and the Deluxes are terrific so you really can't go wrong with either and I in no way regret my Supermarin 250. It skims better than any other skimmer I have ever owned but it's hard for some of us to be satisfied with the status quo in this hobby.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2015, 09:30 AM   #5
311Style
Registered Member

+1 on the SM250 I have one running on a 400g very heavily stocked reef, she's a dream!