Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Icewing726
Registered Member

Raising Salinity

So I did a water change recently (55ish gallons) and ended up being a bit short. I had read salt needs to be mixxed for 2 days so as not to burn the fish and used fresh water to fill the void. This resulted in moving salinity down to 1.024 from a 25ish mark. Id like to raise it again, would the addition of salt in the return pump area of the sump be safe? I would add slowly but just wanted to check. Otherwise ill do the water out water in method.

Icewing726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Drewbe147
Registered Member

Dont add salt directly to the system with livestock in it. Mix separately in a different container. Its less of a “needs 2 days” etc kinda thing and more of a “be sure its all dissolved” thing. For instance in my mixing station my salt is mixed and clear/fully dissolved in a few hrs if i needed it quickly due to my large pump mixing it. To raise yours you can always mix a small batch at a higher salinity to offset your drop. Salinity swings should be avoided if possible due to impact on livestock and large swings should be spread over time. That being said 1.024 to 1.025 isnt a big swing and can be done without issue for most livestocks. 5 gallon bucket/heater/mixing pump at a higher salinity to offset would be your best bet imo. Or just fix it during your next water change being that 1.024 isnt a problem

Drew

Current Tank Info: 90 gal DT 29gal sump. Equipment: 2 OR T247B, RO Varios6 return, RO 150SSS, 2 XF250 Gyres, Jager 300W
Drewbe147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 02:10 PM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I wouldn't even worry about it. 1.024 is fine. When you do your next water change though just make to to mix the water to the proper level before using it. Given time the SG will just work itself out.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 02:54 PM   #4
dtapke
Registered Member

depending on your top off setup, you could add saltwater to your ato (mine is reservoir based with a pump running an IM ato unit)

you could also just shut off your ato and let the water evaporate, naturally raising the salinity.

you could also do another water change.

seems like there would be an abundance of ways to get it back up. And i've always heard at least 30 minutes of heavy mixing. i use 2, 50X(actually a bit higher) pumps in my mixing container and they seem to turn it over quite well. Cheap powerheads really shine for this task as they don't get used super often and arent critical

dtapke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 05:46 PM   #5
RussC
Registered Member

If you ever need to increase the salinity, do it slowly. I mix up a batch of top off water to the salinity I need and let that be the top off until I get what I'm looking for.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 05:46 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I like the don't worry idea.
When I adjust upwards (although I am usually downwards a tad) I have made a cup, heavy on the salt, mix till disolved, then add a bit in front of a flow till I make my mark.

As long as your mixed fully, not an issue.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 05:54 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I've dumped dry salt into my sump a few times..
Not the "best" idea but it mixes fast enough and has never caused a problem..

Its fine..
Or do the other suggestions above..
Again.. fine. All minor and no problems from doing any of them.. Its such a small difference it doesn't matter..