Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:28 AM   #7426
jason2459
Registered Member

Wow, sorry to hear that man. That's terrible. I'm heading out to FL too for about a week. But it's all business and still sounds like I'll have more fun then that.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 10:35 AM   #7427
biecacka
Registered Member

Here is a pic of my overflow.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 12:57 PM   #7428
yacn
Registered Member

I'm new to this algae scrubber thing. But interested in anything that works.

Can I use smaller than recommended algae scrubber and keep using my skimmer?

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 01:03 PM   #7429
iced98lx
Registered Member

Yacn - even using a properly sized scrubber you can keep your skimmer. But yes, an undersized scrubber will not fail to work, just may not take up as many nutrients as you're putting in your system.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 01:21 PM   #7430
yacn
Registered Member

thank you!

Is the algae scrubber meant to replace carbon, phosphate remover media?

yacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 01:58 PM   #7431
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

I wouldn't say carbon. Carbon performs a different function if desired. It can however eliminate the need for GFO, but that depends on your feeding/BIO load.

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 02:48 PM   #7432
hkgar
Registered Member

I have a 7x8 waterfall screen, lit with red and blue led's, run GFO and dose carbon (vinegar 102ml/day) and when GFO gets depleted PO4 starts to rise. I try to keep ir about .02.

My nitrates are about 3

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 03:03 PM   #7433
jason2459
Registered Member

GAC could replace a skimmer except for the aeration part that a skimmer works well for.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 01/12/2016, 03:04 PM   #7434
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quick question for those who have built an upflow like the HOG. How do you cut your air tube? I used a drill to drill several holes in mine, but the airflow is really inconsistent across the screen. Right now for instance it's only bubbling in one spot. Granted, it's growing algae like crazy, but the vids I've seen of these have pretty even dispersion of bubbles across the screen.

Unread 01/12/2016, 05:41 PM   #7435
biecacka
Registered Member

So was off work today.....been researching ATS and want to try one. Well I had some extra acrylic around from my baffles, went over to American plastics had them cut it for me. Got a piece off their scrap rack that he cut for me. They drilled a few drain holes for me and I grabbed some Weldon and stuff. Never doing this before I wasn't sure how it would go so I figured what the heck. I text GEO a few questions and went to town......

To this...

Almost done...

Letting it rest for now, GEO said I could assemble it all today and let it sit for a day or 2. I'm not sure how it will look or turn out for that matter, but it's DIY right!!!!

Corey

Unread 01/12/2016, 07:47 PM   #7436
jerseypete
Registered Member

Was looking to try an algea scrubber. I had an idea to make one out of stuff I already had laying around. My idea was to use a 20 gallon tank with the ruffed up screen about 8-10 inches under the surface of the water. Laying horizontal. From end to end of the tank. And putting 2 large airstones under it and I have a mars aqua 165w. The tank is plumbed to my system already. Wondering if this would work. The screen would be approximately 12 x 20. It would be lit from the top.
uploadfromtaptalk1452649549895.jpgthis is a really bad drawing. But this is just thinking and scratching things down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 07:51 PM   #7437
jerseypete
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypete View Post
Was looking to try an algea scrubber. I had an idea to make one out of stuff I already had laying around. My idea was to use a 20 gallon tank with the ruffed up screen about 8-10 inches under the surface of the water. Laying horizontal. From end to end of the tank. And putting 2 large airstones under it and I have a mars aqua 165w. The tank is plumbed to my system already. Wondering if this would work. The screen would be approximately 12 x 20. It would be lit from the top.
Attachment 338926this is a really bad drawing. But this is just thinking and scratching things down. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Was going to make a frame out of pvc for the mesh. So the air bubbles have to travel through the mesh. Not around. Also the tank is blacked out on 3 sides.

jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 08:41 PM   #7438
biecacka
Registered Member

My screen that I'm roughing up is 13x8.5 inches. Is that big enough? I'll probably start with CFL lighting on both sides, how many do I need? 1/2 per side. Any links for some good cheap LEDs pre made that ppl are having success with?

Corey

Unread 01/12/2016, 08:43 PM   #7439
SantaMonica
Registered Member

biecacka you could put some strings on some eggcrate and set it in there, and put a light on top. Can add air bubblers too if you really want growth.

Quote:
Can I use smaller than recommended algae scrubber and keep using my skimmer?
Yes, any export is better than no export. But to be able to stop waterchanges, or remove other filters, the scrubber(s) need to be larger.

Quote:
Is the algae scrubber meant to replace carbon, phosphate remover media?
Activated carbon has no effect on a scrubber and does not remove nutrients; it just make the water a bit more unaturally clear. Phosphate remover however will slow your scrubber, and is expensive.

Quote:
HOG. How do you cut your air tube?
A long cut, with several cross cuts.

Quote:
Laying horizontal. From end to end of the tank. And putting 2 large airstones under it
Not the best plan, because the bubbles will soon be blocked from getting through the screen. Instead just put the screen vertical, over the bubbles. The Mars light would probably work if you dimmed it and made it more red.

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:55 PM   #7440
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
So was off work today.....been researching ATS and want to try one. Well I had some extra acrylic around from my baffles, went over to American plastics had them cut it for me. Got a piece off their scrap rack that he cut for me. They drilled a few drain holes for me and I grabbed some Weldon and stuff. Never doing this before I wasn't sure how it would go so I figured what the heck. I text GEO a few questions and went to town......

To this...

Almost done...

Letting it rest for now, GEO said I could assemble it all today and let it sit for a day or 2. I'm not sure how it will look or turn out for that matter, but it's DIY right!!!!

Corey
That's awesome and George, I assume you're talking with there, is a great resource. This thread is also a great resource with lots of helpful people in it that know a lot about acrylic
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...56956&page=183

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:21 PM   #7441
biecacka
Registered Member

Yeah George is a buddy of mine. He built my entire set up so I have watched him work a bit. Is is my first try at working with acrylic but George responded right back to me and confirmed that I was capable of doing it. It's done now, going to let it sit for a day or so.
I have read that thread a number of times as well! so much information in it.
Now I must figure out the lights for a sheet my size.

Corey

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:39 PM   #7442
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Yeah George is a buddy of mine. He built my entire set up so I have watched him work a bit. Is is my first try at working with acrylic but George responded right back to me and confirmed that I was capable of doing it. It's done now, going to let it sit for a day or so.
I have read that thread a number of times as well! so much information in it.
Now I must figure out the lights for a sheet my size.

Corey
That's awesome. I've heard nothing but good things about GEO products. Hit up Turbo Floyd here as I think he still has a lot of stock for the light/splash guard blockers that go over the PVC pipe that holds the screen.

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:49 PM   #7443
biecacka
Registered Member

Yea I plan on that. I was thinking of taking the 1in PVC and placing it inside a larger pipe and using it as a splash gaurd but I'd rather have his contraption is possible. I'll ask him on lighting too.
As far as Geo products go....I cannot speak highly enough of them. He is literally a 1 man show who cranks out amazing products. Whatever my next need is, I'll ask him to build it first. Been thinking of a sump really. I like those custom sumps for sure. They can be pretty sweet. But my 75 works just fine.

Corey

Unread 01/13/2016, 05:38 AM   #7444
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Jerseypete, I think that once your screen fills in with algae growth the air bubbles from below will be forced around the screen as opposed to through the screen and algae production will suffer from insufficient laminar flow. Having a 20G plumbed in to work with offers you much better (more productive/efficient) design options than the one you depicted.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2016, 12:37 PM   #7445
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I would caution that I do not see any indication that the LED's are mounted on a heat sink? I would be interested in hearing if the 1 watt per LED would be sufficient power?
Isn't the PCB board the heat sink?

Unread 01/14/2016, 11:40 AM   #7446
Jade5051
That guy...

Would these LED strips work on either a waterfall or upflow scrubber?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331616010901

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:16 PM   #7447
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade5051 View Post
Would these LED strips work on either a waterfall or upflow scrubber?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331616010901
1m (3 foot) long seems to be far more than needed. I am not sure how you could mount them to ca=over a rectangular screen.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 01/14/2016, 02:23 PM   #7448
Jade5051
That guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
1m (3 foot) long seems to be far more than needed. I am not sure how you could mount them to ca=over a rectangular screen.
You can split them into shorter lengths of about 4-6". I was more worried about the lumens/wattage being enough.

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:43 PM   #7449
SantaMonica
Registered Member

They tend to be very low power; you would need a lot of them.

Unread 01/14/2016, 02:56 PM   #7450
hkgar
Registered Member

You are getting 60 leds and 14.4 Watts at 1 M. That is only .24 W per LED. I think Floyd recommends 3 W per Led. For my screen size (7x8 waterfall) I would need 15 3 watt LEDs per side or 45 watts. I don't think those would give you enough punch.

Plug your parameters (amount fed) in here and see what it says.

https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/publishe...b2b670ae00412b