Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2017, 06:25 PM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I gave up on Jebao .... mostly. I do use a pair of their smallest models for my sons nano tanks (still waiting for the MP5 from ETM), but have had all the others crap out on me and will not use them again. Of course, any mechanical item can fail, even things we might judge as being of higher quality. Tunze are as close to bullet proof as a power head gets, though I personally prefer the vortechs for a number of reasons.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 06:43 PM   #27
karimwassef
Registered Member

I have four Jebao WP-60s. Two are 3 years old and two are 1.5yrs.

I've had hermits and snails get stuck and sponges/soft corals encroach far enough to jam the impellers but a little cleanup and they're fine.

For me, the vortech powerheads were terrible. Loud and failed so many times, I just left the impellers in the tank and removed the external drives. Great idea but terrible execution IME

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 07:34 PM   #28
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
For me, the vortech powerheads were terrible. Loud and failed so many times, I just left the impellers in the tank and removed the external drives. Great idea but terrible execution IME
Who knows, just bad luck perhaps. At last count I have eight - two MP10, two MP60 and four MP40 all of varying vintage - and haven't had a single problem with any that I'd judge to be beyond normal mechanical wear and tear. I did recently have to replace my first wetside, but that was on an almost five year old model. I did buy a MP10 used recently that arrived with a seized up dryside; because the prior owner hadn't kept it dry, which is apparently important

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 06/25/2017, 09:00 PM   #29
karimwassef
Registered Member

true. if only there was an independent testing body that could provide real quality data.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 09:03 PM   #30
reefer4816
Registered Member

i just started running jaebos hopefully they pan out for me ive heard mixed results

reefer4816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 09:17 PM   #31
Potatohead
Registered Member

This thread just seems kind of like a microcosm of western society in general. Just buy whatever is cheap and it doesn't matter where it's made or engineered (or stolen) or what country/citizens it supports as long as I can keep a few bucks in my pocket. Then when it breaks I'll just buy another one, who cares it's so cheap, and then the broken one sits in a landfill until the end of time.

No thanks.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 09:28 PM   #32
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

They are all Ive ever owned because Im on a poor mans budget.. Never had a problem with the RW or the PP series.

Johnnybgood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 12:05 AM   #33
Floyd79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
Would putting a $5.00 home depot 24hr timer on the outlet plug help?

No I don't think so. They are on all the time already. It just seems that over the period of time one will simply lose its strength. Its like I changed the setting to go slower but nothing has been changed. Turning power off and back on seems to restore it??

It's very odd and I have never encountered this with any other powerhead.

Floyd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 11:14 AM   #34
jd371
Registered Member

I have 2 RW8's and a DC6000 return pump. All going on 2 years. The return pump and the PH's get cleaned maybe every 5-6 months, if I remember. The only thing I had to do to the PH's was change the ceramic bushing they come with because of seizing with the impeller shaft if the pump was stopped or below 20% power. Once swapped out with plastic bushings no more seizing.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 12:55 PM   #35
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you need inexpensive, but higher quality and a company that does not steal IP from legit US and Euro companies and lie about it, then get AquaMedic Ecodrift. They are better on both accounts. They have real US and Euro warranties and support and you can feel better.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 02:25 PM   #36
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
This thread just seems kind of like a microcosm of western society in general. Just buy whatever is cheap and it doesn't matter where it's made or engineered (or stolen) or what country/citizens it supports as long as I can keep a few bucks in my pocket. Then when it breaks I'll just buy another one, who cares it's so cheap, and then the broken one sits in a landfill until the end of time.

No thanks.
You forgot the part about actually spending more in the long run due to more frequent replacement cycles Oh and BTW, even though the thread was ostensibly about powerheads, even the thought of using a cheap, knock off main return pump causes me to breakout into hives.

Unread 06/26/2017, 04:33 PM   #37
bowfrontboy
Registered Member

I have a RW15 and MP40 both work perfectly for 2 years now.

Unread 06/26/2017, 10:08 PM   #38
PirateToast
Registered Member

So I'm done with Jebao. Too many bad experiences. However, I bought a couple Tunze 6105's with a multicontroller. My word I can't believe people actually praise these things?? The controller is a piece of junk with an interface that's incomprehensible. Reading old posts, sounds like the app was built years ago by some college student. No thanks!

I could go through 10+ Jebao's before I hit the price of the Tunze, and that seemed like junk to me.

I'm returning the Tunze items and switching to the Coral Box QP's. Not much more expensive than the Jebao's with a nice warranty and good design. I hope they pan out.

PirateToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 10:22 PM   #39
Shaummy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateToast View Post
So I'm done with Jebao. Too many bad experiences. However, I bought a couple Tunze 6105's with a multicontroller. My word I can't believe people actually praise these things?? The controller is a piece of junk with an interface that's incomprehensible. Reading old posts, sounds like the app was built years ago by some college student. No thanks!

I could go through 10+ Jebao's before I hit the price of the Tunze, and that seemed like junk to me.

I'm returning the Tunze items and switching to the Coral Box QP's. Not much more expensive than the Jebao's with a nice warranty and good design. I hope they pan out.
I'd suggest you get them through Reefbreeders so you can get some decent support and a warranty on them...

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef, hermits, snails,Lyretail Anthias,Orange back Fairy Wrasse,Blue Reef Chromis,small blue tang, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma
Shaummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 11:59 PM   #40
Potatohead
Registered Member

I thought coral box was just rebranded Jebao stuff. The skimmers use/used to use Jebao pumps anyway.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 04:50 AM   #41
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateToast View Post
So I'm done with Jebao...... and switching to the Coral Box QP's.
too funny...

Hey Jebao.. This is Fish Street.. Will you rebrand your products for us.. Sure.. We shall call them coralbox.. (sorry I know.. bad impression.. Needed more "Engrish")

Unread 06/27/2017, 06:21 AM   #42
ClownNut
Registered Member

i have friend bought them when they first come up, 3 years now still up and kicking. almost never vinegar clean. because of such good luck, he bought 2 new one for his others tank, both died within 6 months. yeah the old stuff is much better quality then the new gen.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 07:34 AM   #43
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
true. if only there was an independent testing body that could provide real quality data.
Yeah, mean-time-to-failure data on these things would be most helpful. Otherwise it's just anecdotal experiences off sample sizes without statistical significance .... which is in part why the debate goes around and around and around.

Unread 06/27/2017, 08:11 AM   #44
franco_oo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Yeah, mean-time-to-failure data on these things would be most helpful. Otherwise it's just anecdotal experiences off sample sizes without statistical significance .... which is in part why the debate goes around and around and around.
+1

Unread 06/27/2017, 08:30 AM   #45
mcgyvr
Registered Member

This debate goes round and round because there are those that have the product and it works just fine and those that have had them fail and everyone puts in their experience.. plain and simple..

As Ron stated Jebao for the most part (like many other companies) doesn't put out the "best" product first go around.. But they are refining all the time and the product quality/reliability increases with each "revision" to it..

I will bash a Jebao WP series till the cows come home..I had one.. It crapped out quickly.. I will turn right around and recommend a PP series any day.. I have a few.. They are all doing great and have lasted through 2 tanks now and still going strong..

We all have opinions.. We all have budgets... needs/wants..,etc...
I personally do not want to drop hundreds of dollars on a powerhead... But I don't want to throw money in the trash either.. Live and learn.. I've learned that Jebao is capable of producing a decent product but its not going to be a generation 1 version that I buy..

Unread 06/27/2017, 08:44 AM   #46
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
This debate goes round and round because there are those that have the product and it works just fine and those that have had them fail and everyone puts in their experience.. plain and simple...
Er..... isn't that what I just said?

Unread 06/27/2017, 08:48 AM   #47
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Er..... isn't that what I just said?
yes.. it is..

Unread 06/27/2017, 10:10 AM   #48
ksed
Registered Member

Are the PP the same as the RW?

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 10:34 AM   #49
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Are the PP the same as the RW?
I believe there is a slight difference.. Don't remember exactly.. Magnet changes maybe..

Unread 06/27/2017, 10:43 AM   #50
cboberg
Registered Member

There's a pretty high end reef only store that sells everything including jebao near me. All of his tanks have the jebao power heads. I own 2 of their poweheads with wave makers and I run them through my Apex. No issues yet, knock on wood. I've had more expensive brands fail in the past. That being said I'd NEVER run their dosers. Too much riding on it...

cboberg is offline   Reply With Quote