Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Laura22
Registered Member

Goby help

I've had a pink spot goby for approximately 4 months and he has been doing great since the first day we got him. I never had any issues with feeding him, he always came out to eat and he would often come out of his house to see what was happening whenever I would go up to the tank. Now all of a sudden, he wont eat and he wont come out to say hi. Its been 2 days and he stays under the rock. All other tank mates are doing great and my water levels are where they should be so I'm not sure why he is behaving this way. I've also noticed that my cleaner shrimp has been hovering around him alot more lately. My tank and my babies in it are very important to me and I will always do what I have to so that they are comfortable, but right now I'm not sure what that is. Does anyone have any idea if this can be normal for a goby or should I be worried ?

Current Tank Info: 75g reef tank
Laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Can you see him under the rock? Try target feeding something enticing with a turkey baster to cox him out (after moving the baster around a bit to get the shrimp to back off.

My Randall’s goby once disappeared (presumably under his rock) for about 4 weeks. I was certain he was dead and eaten by the CUC. I was even researching a replacement fish when I walked by the tank one day and there he was - front and center of the tank looking fat and happy. I never figured out why he had hidden for so long.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Laura22
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply ! I have tried feeding him and it doesn't work. I can see just his head near the opening of the rock so I know hes in there, but he just won't come out....its such a behavioral change for him that its making me very worried. On a normal day he comes right out fron under the rock and eats up a storm but something has drastically changed in the last few days and I'm not sure what to do. When I got him he was a good size so I actually dont know how old he is. I was thinking maybe hes older than I thought he was when I got him. I'll definitely be keeping watch over him and I really hope to see a change soon.

Current Tank Info: 75g reef tank
Laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 06:30 PM   #4
rffanat1c
Registered Member

I also had a goby disappear for weeks. Then bam. There he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffanat1c is offline   Reply With Quote