Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2014, 03:58 PM   #1
gregr
Registered Member

pH and dual chamber Ca reactor question

I just set up a dual chamber Ca reactor with Reborn media- the Reborn folks told me to run the pH in the reactor at about 6.4. I don't have a probe in the reactor but run the effluent into a cup and monitor it there so it might be a little higher by the time it actually reaches the probe. With my old single chamber reactor I tried to keep it around 6.5 and the media dissolved at a good rate. But with 2 chambers- I'm worried that 6.5 might mean the main chamber is far lower and the media could dissolve way too quick. Can anybody advise on this? Suggested effluent pH for a dual chamber reactor with regular ARM media?

Unread 08/31/2014, 09:44 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'm using reborn in my dual chambered calcium reactor and would consider 6.4 to be bit low. Whether pH in your cup has risen I cannot say. You could cobble together a PVC T with a pH probe compression fitting on one outlet and john guest fittings on the other two and thus run the probe 'in line'. That's how I did it and got a truer pH reading.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 07:14 AM   #3
gregr
Registered Member

That's a great idea- I didn't know those probe compression fittings existed. Bonus- they're cheap.
What do you suggest for the Reborn effluent pH range?

Unread 09/01/2014, 07:55 AM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I found 6.5 to be the best setting. OK, not all that different than 6.4 , but 6.5 seemed to be the pint at which the media dissolved but didn't turn completely to mush. I calibrate my probe regularly so am reasonably sure of its accuracy.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 07:58 AM   #5
gregr
Registered Member

Thanks that is good to know. I'd settled on aiming for 6.6 so I'll lower that and move on with confidence.