Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2014, 07:25 PM   #1
bigzman
Registered Member

Reefbreeders supernova preview

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2014/08/ree...supernova.html

Looks cool what do the experts think?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2014, 07:41 PM   #2
ganjero
saiperchémibatteilcorazon

There aren't many details to give an honest opinion. I do want to know if this really is a "reefbreeders" fixture, design by them and the "several years of research" were conducted by them, or if this another rebranded fixture sold by RB?

Seems interesting though, it looks like they put a row in the front and the back for the blue/violets to mimic the common layout when mixing T5/VHO and MH.

ganjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

The light is 100% our design, it is not designed by another company. The SuperNova is our effort to target the reefer who wants the best light there is, and we feel that it will live up to that standard.

Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2014, 08:37 PM   #4
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

What I'd really like to know is whether this light can be dimmed seamlessly down to nothing like an incandescent bulb? I really like the Photon series but dimming leaves something to be desired (but it is a value fixture, so ...... )

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2014, 10:01 PM   #5
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

When you think of Reef Breeders you think of more on the Inexpensive Side.

I believe they start at 169.99 (Correct me if I am Wrong).

Now they are coming out with one of the Most Expensive Lights on the Market? 700.00 to 800.00

That is not their Target Market.

People with that kind of Money to Spend get Radions, Mitras, PacSun, etc.

They are Not going to buy a Reef Breeders Fixture.

This seems like it will be a Complete Failure.

They should Focus on Making the Lights Cheaper Not More Expensive.

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 12:30 AM   #6
Fallling
Registered Member

I disagree... I bought a PacSun fixture and if the supernova had actually come out at any of the expected release dates over the past year, I would have seriously looked into it as another option. RB fixtures, while not expensive, do seem to have good results for many people. They just don't look sleek or have all the features as higher end units. There's nothing wrong with wanting to tap into the higher end market and provide consumers with another option.

Fallling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 12:41 AM   #7
supra400hptt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
What I'd really like to know is whether this light can be dimmed seamlessly down to nothing like an incandescent bulb? I really like the Photon series but dimming leaves something to be desired (but it is a value fixture, so ...... )
I concur. My number one pet peeve with lights. I will not buy anything without smooth ramp up and down. I talked a friend into a photon a while back and the abrupt change in intensity every 30 minutes irks me.

supra400hptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 05:53 AM   #8
JDWells
Registered Member

I really like my photon 32 because it was affordable, has the features I want, but none that I don't care about (like storms, etc)
Also for 450 I got full coverage on a 4ft 90 which would take at least 2 of the "high end" fixtures. If this one at 700-800 can still do that then I think it's competitive. I'm curious for sure.

JDWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
The dimming is smooth, incredibly smooth. The controller is very advanced, we had the program designed specificially for us to be intuitive, versatile, and upgrade-able. There are 10 control channels which are programmed with onboard wifi, we will be releasing a web app for computers, as well as an app for android and ios smartphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
When you think of Reef Breeders you think of more on the Inexpensive Side.

I believe they start at 169.99 (Correct me if I am Wrong).

Now they are coming out with one of the Most Expensive Lights on the Market? 700.00 to 800.00

That is not their Target Market.

People with that kind of Money to Spend get Radions, Mitras, PacSun, etc.

They are Not going to buy a Reef Breeders Fixture.

This seems like it will be a Complete Failure.

They should Focus on Making the Lights Cheaper Not More Expensive.
We have been in the industry for years providing quality products and exceptional service. That is what our brand is based on, not cheapness. Yes, we offer a wide range of affordable products, but we feel that this is our time to branch out to the reef keeper who wants a little something more than your everyday light.

The SuperNova is an extraordinary light built for the reef keeper who wants it all, and it is a truly unique and beautiful piece of engineering. Make no mistake, the SuperNova is going to be a major contender.

Last edited by Reef_Breeders; 09/01/2014 at 09:11 AM.
Unread 09/01/2014, 09:10 AM   #10
meshwheel
Registered Member

I believe one Supernova will do a 32" long area as well. Thats much better coverage then the Radion or AI fixture.
Anywhere else we can see pics??? I would like to see the top of the light!

Unread 09/01/2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshwheel View Post
I believe one Supernova will do a 32" long area as well. Thats much better coverage then the Radion or AI fixture.
Anywhere else we can see pics??? I would like to see the top of the light!
From what we could see at MACNA, it should cover a 36" by 30" area with ease.

We will be testing the par values over that coverage area, as well as sending the light to an independent lab for testing.

Unread 09/01/2014, 10:05 AM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
The dimming is smooth, incredibly smooth. The controller is very advanced, we had the program designed specificially for us to be intuitive, versatile, and upgrade-able. There are 10 control channels which are programmed with onboard wifi, we will be releasing a web app for computers, as well as an app for android and ios smartphones.
I'll be interested in seeing one of these, no question. But will it dim down to nothing? My issue with the Photon is that even the transition from 1% to zero is dramatic (I don't think 1% is really 1%). I know it can be done because the current ramp timer I use on my other tank takes the strip lights essentially down to nothing before going off completely.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/01/2014, 10:28 AM   #13
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Quote:
I'll be interested in seeing one of these, no question. But will it dim down to nothing? My issue with the Photon is that even the transition from 1% to zero is dramatic (I don't think 1% is really 1%). I know it can be done because the current ramp timer I use on my other tank takes the strip lights essentially down to nothing before going off completely.
Absolutely. The controller is leagues ahead of the photon controller.

Unread 09/01/2014, 11:04 AM   #14
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Thanks Logan, looking forward to seeing one in action.

Unread 09/01/2014, 11:19 AM   #15
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
From what we could see at MACNA, it should cover a 36" by 30" area with ease.

We will be testing the par values over that coverage area, as well as sending the light to an independent lab for testing.
Hydra 52 Covers 36" and is much Sleeker and 200 Cheaper

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

36 by 30 with sps. Not a fowlr tank with a ton of shadows...

Unread 09/01/2014, 01:38 PM   #17
bigzman
Registered Member

Supernova

Logan,

you guys define exceptional service. That Fish Guy, I didn't know Hydra52 could cover 36" by 36" wide at 30" deep for SPS. Its seems Hydras at 30x30 are not able to keep SPS at 50 - 0 par rating.

Does anyone know if a radion g3 pro can cover 36"x36" at 30 inches?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef lps sps
bigzman is offline   Reply With Quote