Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/05/2006, 11:27 AM   #1
violaceous
Registered Member

Mystery Pseudochromis Construction Project

I introduced a small mystery psuedochromis into my 25g tank about a month ago and he/she has suddenly decided that all of the sand/gravel in the front corner needs to be moved.

I call it a mystery because I have been unable to find anything online for correct id. Color is like a Florida sunset (pink, purple, orange) with a dark burgandy tail and yellow rimmed eyes. Gorgeous little fish about 1 3/4" long. Not overly aggressive and somewhat timid. He spends most of its time darting between the rocks.

Tankmates are: 1 Oscellaris clown and a Midnight Angel. Also a BTA, softies (colts, mushrooms, and anthelia). Inverts: peppermint shrimp, snails, small hermits.

Anyway, he is spending all of his time now picking up gravel one piece at a time and swimming a short distance to spit it out and go back for another. Is this some sort of spawning behavior? Is it a territory marker? Just curious because all of the other fish swim up at look at the hole like 'What ARE you doing?' It doesnt seem to bother him when they swim up - he doesnt chase them at all - its almost like a special project or something. Maybe hes trying to dig a hole to China...

Anyone had a pseudo with similar behavior? I just read that often the males will guard the eggs on the ground during spawning times. Maybe thats what he's up to?

violaceous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2006, 01:51 PM   #2
FishF00d
Registered Member

I have one of them. He never comes out from the rocks but has killed one hi-fin goby and has been trying to kill another one. If I could I would catch it and take it out but that is nearly impossible in a 135.

FishF00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2006, 02:35 PM   #3
JER-Z
Registered Member

hard to tell from the pic...but he kind of looks like my pseudochromis elongatus...

here is a pic for comparison...
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/pse...pseudochromis/

so far mine has shown no aggression and hasn't moved any sand...

JER-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Ironsheikh
Registered Member

thats the one --I instantly thought the heads are the same

Current Tank Info: 20G fowlr some zoas
Ironsheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2006, 07:07 PM   #5
violaceous
Registered Member

Yes, thats him exactly! Thank you for the id.

He wasn't doing anything of the sort until I added a little of the white gravel to the tank. I was having trouble seeing the Midnight Angel with the black sand. A few days after I did that he started up this digging habit... Pretty hilarious to watch really. Its a very tedious project to be sure but he's making good progress.

Hes made it down to the glass bottom now and continues to redecorate. lol

violaceous is offline   Reply With Quote