Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2007, 08:39 PM   #1
awatson72
Registered Member

hang on back skimmer - sump

This question will show my ignorance of the basics, but that's why I"ll post it in this forum.

I have set up a small 20g long tank, and would like to add a skimmer very soon, and a sump/refugium down the road a bit. The place I have to put my sump will not be tall enough for a skimmer, I only will have about 16 inches of height to work with total. (Plenty of length and width though).

I'm wondering if it's possible to use (adapt?) a hang on skimmer to accompish an overflow into the sump so that I can avoid having to purchase and install a dedicated overflow. In other words, I'd like to send the skimmed water from the hang on skimmer into the sump, through the refugium to be eventually returned to the tank.

Hoping someone can speak to this.

Andrew

awatson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2007, 08:47 PM   #2
drummereef
Team RC Member

I don't believe this will work. Might even be a high risk for flooding. Your best, easiest, bet would be a hang-on fuge to accomplish what you want. CPR has a product called AquaFuge. Look into that. The ideal method would be an overflow to the sump and place the skimmer in-sump.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2007, 09:18 AM   #3
awatson72
Registered Member

OK, thanks.
I'd conisdered the hang-on fuge but wanted to be able to add more water volume and a place to hide heater, etc.

Maybe I can find a really short protein skimmer to put in the sump.

-a.

awatson72 is offline   Reply With Quote