Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2020, 03:52 PM   #126
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2aoUK6QE8bvoZpmE6
Hey Michael, they came and look great! Actually I think that is a perfect amount to start with as their is not a huge amount of sandbed to plant them in.

I am sorry but forgot to mail your sponge today but will definitely do it tomorrow. Thanks again for the seagrass. Now the title of my thread is more true to life, LOL!

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2020, 04:27 PM   #127
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Looks good. You appear to have a peaceful community of fish in there. That's got to be fun to watch! It's a delicate balance to get that. Fish, corals and plants all looking well!
Thanks Michael for the kind words!

It is a very peaceful community, ( although Linus disappeared and I think Marmalade, the other combtooth blenny is to blame. He would harass Linus.)There are 2 green gobies in there as well as 1 barnacle blenny. I haven't given up on getting 3-5 yellow tailed damsels, and 3-5 barnacle blennies. I think about a coral beauty too but they can be coral nippers so I will think on that one some more. I have had several coral beauties who were all model citizens in my prior reefs.

I am feeding very very heavy and that seems to be working. Hopefully the seagrass will flourish and the balance will continue.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 09/28/2020, 07:51 PM   #128
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

They look good! I'm relieved. I was worried they wouldn't arrive until after the weekend.

Give them some time. As I said, they may go downhill at first, but should bounce back.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2020, 04:27 AM   #129
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
They look good! I'm relieved. I was worried they wouldn't arrive until after the weekend.

Give them some time. As I said, they may go downhill at first, but should bounce back.
I will be patient with them. I was wondering if I should have them planted deeper however? I have them in the sand about an 1" deep.

Unread 09/29/2020, 08:46 AM   #130
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think they'll be ok in one inch, but their roots definitely went deeper in my tank.

Unread 09/29/2020, 02:09 PM   #131
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bDVpXrbtZnWDa54E9
A better FTS. I removed the gyre because it was so noisy. I have had it unplugged for a month and the coral look fine without it and the tank looks much better without it!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zhy3mw1izZxervqK7
A view from the left end of the display tank.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ENG5vXx9z5hzBQr26
And a view from the right end.

Unread 09/29/2020, 02:30 PM   #132
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Man that looks good!

In the right end pic, is that purple sponge at bottom left, mixed in with the G. hayi? Or are those mushrooms?

Unread 09/29/2020, 03:06 PM   #133
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Man that looks good!

In the right end pic, is that purple sponge at bottom left, mixed in with the G. hayi? Or are those mushrooms?
Good eyes Michael, yes that is purple sponge. One of the 2 pieces I sent you was from there and that is how much it recovered in a month and a half or so.
Yours pieces are bigger and more solid than that.

Unread 09/29/2020, 03:56 PM   #134
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sweet! I really like that purple with the red plants. It's a nice color combination. Woo!

Unread 09/29/2020, 04:00 PM   #135
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Needless to say, I'm happy with the trade. I like the trading thing in general. No money to change hands and everybody's happy. Yay!

Unread 09/29/2020, 04:15 PM   #136
vlangel
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Needless to say, I'm happy with the trade. I like the trading thing in general. No money to change hands and everybody's happy. Yay!
I agree, I also like the trading thing. It's like how we acquired coral in the old days!

I hope the sponges arrive in as good shape as your grasses arrived here. If not I will get you more but you might have to wait for mine to grow out again. I wanted you to have a nice amount so sent both pieces that I had.

Unread 09/29/2020, 09:09 PM   #137
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It sounds like plenty, and a good trade. I'll give 'em a go. Thanks again!

It's gonna be fun seeing our stuff in each other's tanks!

Unread 09/30/2020, 07:24 AM   #138
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
It sounds like plenty, and a good trade. I'll give 'em a go. Thanks again!

It's gonna be fun seeing our stuff in each other's tanks!
You are right, it will be fun seeing both of our tanks get better because of our trade. A win win for both of us!

Unread 10/02/2020, 01:58 PM   #139
vlangel
Registered Member

I went to 2 LFSs today and got 6 yellow tail damsels and 4 mollies (for the fuge). I was only going to get 3-5 damsels but the LFS only had 6 and I hated to leave 1 behind so I bought them all, ha ha. My hubby got a laugh over that.

I am acclimating everyone as I speak. The LFS that had the mollies had some already acclimated to salt water but they were all males and I wanted mostly females for fry production and 1 male. I chose 2 dalmation, 1 white and 1 orange. They will live in the fuge and their main job is to help with algae on the the seagrass.

The damsels are being acclimated in the 1st chamber of the sump. They had been at the LFS for 3 weeks so I don't think I need to QT them. I hope I am not being rash. In the sump they can adjust to my water parameters without having to deal with tank mates. Then when they are settled I will move them all together into the display where there should be safety in numbers but my tank is pretty chill anyway.

I will take a pic or two when everyone is settled. I plan to hit another LFS tomorrow and see what they have. I know, I am out of control. LOL!

Unread 10/03/2020, 12:44 PM   #140
vlangel
Registered Member

I went to 2 more LFSs to see what fish they had. The first one did not have anything but the 2nd store had a tomini tang. It has been at that store for 3 months and was eating well. It is probably a better choice than a coral beauty which could be a picker. The tang is attractive and should fit well with the fish I have. I added it directly to the display since the LFS has had it so long and its body and fins looked clean. It appears to have settled in immediately and is curiously exploring it's new home. I like that it has a different body shape and coloring from any other fish I have. It should be a nice addition to my aquarium.

Unread 10/05/2020, 07:30 AM   #141
vlangel
Registered Member

The damsels seem to be doing well in the sump chamber, although I have never seen more than 4 at one time. The ones I see are eating well. There is a large conch shell and I know that they hide in there some. So hopefully all 6 are good.

I only have 2 mollies left even though I acclimated very slowly. They are a pair so hopefully they thrive and make fry, plus graze on algae.

The tomini tang adjusted well. Its eating and swims around very comfortably in the display. I did see a white mark on its top fin but it does not look like ich or any other disease. The cleaner shrimp has not shown interest in it either so I am still optimistic that the tomini is going to be fine. I will not add the damsels until I am sure however. No sense in stressing the tang prematurely with the added activity.

Unread 10/05/2020, 03:07 PM   #142
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I lost 1 out of 3 mollies when converting. I guess some just don’t make it.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2020, 03:37 PM   #143
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
I lost 1 out of 3 mollies when converting. I guess some just don’t make it.
My specific gravity is .023 but I still use an old hydrometer so it could have been higher than that which would make it riskier.

Unread 10/07/2020, 10:35 AM   #144
vlangel
Registered Member

Today I moved the damsels that I could find(which was 4) into the display tank. The lights are not on yet but I am anxious to see them in there.

I will periodically check the sump because 1 or both damsels could have been hiding in the conch shell.

Unread 10/07/2020, 10:54 AM   #145
vlangel
Registered Member

Another one showed up and is now with its compadres in the display. I am still hoping the final one will turn up too.

Unread 10/07/2020, 11:16 AM   #146
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well!

Unread 10/07/2020, 02:08 PM   #147
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well!
Me too. The 5 damsels seem comfortable swimming around the tank. The tomini tang still seems healthy and everyone is eating well. The royal gramma must think he is a damsel as he is out with them swimming around like he is one of them, Haha! It's cute. None of the prior inhabitants are showing any aggression toward the newcomers.

I love how colorful and active the tank is now. If everyone settles in like I hope, it's a great combination of fish.

Unread 10/08/2020, 02:11 PM   #148
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BXP13rL31u7zasE17
Here is a link to my Google photos of a FTS.

Unread 10/08/2020, 02:25 PM   #149
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Dazzling!

Unread 10/08/2020, 08:23 PM   #150
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Nice, love those anemones in the corner.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote