Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Mishap
Premium Member

Back from a nearly 8 year hiatus, what'd I miss?

Hey everyone,

So I've been out of the hobby since 2011, and I wanna get back in.

My wife and kids came home from a carnival with 3 goldfish, 2 of which have died. The 3rd is still alive and kicking in a 5g tank.

Once this last one bites the dust I would like to turn it into a nano reef. My end game is to use the nano as a gateway to getting the wife to agree to a 3x3x2 reef in the living room.

That being said, I have no idea whats around anymore for lighting, flow, filtration etc. So I would appreciate any input you guys may have.

My thoughts were to use an aquaclear filter and just do weekly water changes.

Thanks,
Mishap

Mishap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Nereaga
Registered Member

I just got back into it after 10 years of being away. One thing I learned is this site and many other forums which were once heavily used, are a thing of the past. I remember this place hopping with info and items for sale.

LED’s seem to have changed the lighting game now. Factual info about PAR readings are out there. No more Mh/T5’s.

Filtration is still the same mostly. Sand, rock, Skimmer, high flow, water changes, etc.

Good Luck! I will say it’s just as fun as 10 years ago!

Nereaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2019, 11:13 AM   #3
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yeah, people are using facebook to get their reefing advice through instant gratification from people who don't have a clue.

Equipment is getting better. I still buy and use metal halide. A lot of people do.

Welcome back!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 07:18 AM   #4
Nereaga
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
Yeah, people are using facebook to get their reefing advice through instant gratification from people who don't have a clue.

Equipment is getting better. I still buy and use metal halide. A lot of people do.

Welcome back!
This was the first place I came to after acquiring a setup through a friend who was moving. I was excited to come back and snag some used equipment and local live rock/corals. Sadly, I found equipment on FB.

Still this site has a plethora of information, you just got to know where to look.

Many people still use Mh/T5 lighting. That’s is all I strictly ran 10 years ago. Trying LED’s this time around.

Nereaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2019, 09:36 AM   #5
moondoggy4
Registered Member

A nice way and cheap way to get back in is to get a IM Lagoon 25 with the rear chamber, super easy, lots of videos on You Tube showing off their tanks. Skimmers are a-lot cheaper. Instead of skimmer war when you were in the hobby you missed the Led vs the world war, so the comprise was hybrid. I kinda of like your dimension of your dream tank but I like a 36" X 30" X 24" and hang a single 250 radium with dual XHO Reef Brite Leds.

Welcome back

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote