Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2017, 01:53 PM   #401
mike810
Registered Member

Scott,

If I remember correctly, you recommended the outlet not be below water. You said this is what RE recommends and could possibly airlock my skimmer on restart which was why the skimmer overflowed a bit upon restart.

Either way, I have tried multiple times to have the outlet below the water and it literally kills the water level inside the skimmer body to the point that closing the wedge pipe does nothing to raise the water level adequately, I'd also have to run the pump at almost full power to get the water level back up inside the skimmer body. I've also tried adjusting the baffles in the dreambox to raise the water level after putting the outlet below the water. In the end, the skimmer doesn't function well when the outlet is below the water , this is the case for me, not saying it will be for everyone. This skimmer functions much better with the outlet above the water. It's noisier but man does it pull some nasty fish poo out of the water in record time. I drained my cup last night before bed and this afternoon, it's already a 1/4 full again.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 04:15 PM   #402
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Scott,

If I remember correctly, you recommended the outlet not be below water. You said this is what RE recommends and could possibly airlock my skimmer on restart which was why the skimmer overflowed a bit upon restart.

Either way, I have tried multiple times to have the outlet below the water and it literally kills the water level inside the skimmer body to the point that closing the wedge pipe does nothing to raise the water level adequately, I'd also have to run the pump at almost full power to get the water level back up inside the skimmer body. I've also tried adjusting the baffles in the dreambox to raise the water level after putting the outlet below the water. In the end, the skimmer doesn't function well when the outlet is below the water , this is the case for me, not saying it will be for everyone. This skimmer functions much better with the outlet above the water. It's noisier but man does it pull some nasty fish poo out of the water in record time. I drained my cup last night before bed and this afternoon, it's already a 1/4 full again.
Have you tried setting the outlet pipe at an angle so the water exits the pipe at just below the water level but a bit of the opening is still able to get some air? That is normally the recommended setup for this skimmer. I wish I had a Deluxe myself to play with here but I don't so I am kind of grasping at straws so to speak. You would want the effluent side of the pipe facing downstream but given you have a Dreambox with the lids cut, I can imagine that might be difficult. How deep is the level inside the sump? How far closed on the wedge pipe have you gone? I am guessing that if you close the wedge pipe enough, the level inside the skimmer will be fine but it could overflow on startup because the water can't get out fast enough until a siphon occurs which is a sign that the wedge is closed too much. Normally I would recommend a sump depth of around 9.5" or so.. I am thinking that if the wedge we were left almost wide open and you raise the telescope pipe enough to get the level where you want it, that leaves you with the exit pipe out of the water?

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 08/17/2017 at 04:23 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2017, 04:22 PM   #403
mike810
Registered Member

Hey Scott,

I do have the pipe just below the water level a tad but just above the water level a bit to vent the air. Its at an angle facing down stream of the skimmer pump. I believe it's sitting in 9.5-10" of water, I can't remember. I'm not complaining, it's a beast of a skimmer and I've never had the cup fill with nasty black skimmate on the daily like I do with the deluxe. I'm glad you talked me into the deluxe, it's probably the best skimmer I've ever owned.

Unread 08/17/2017, 05:09 PM   #404
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Scott,

I do have the pipe just below the water level a tad but just above the water level a bit to vent the air. Its at an angle facing down stream of the skimmer pump. I believe it's sitting in 9.5-10" of water, I can't remember. I'm not complaining, it's a beast of a skimmer and I've never had the cup fill with nasty black skimmate on the daily like I do with the deluxe. I'm glad you talked me into the deluxe, it's probably the best skimmer I've ever owned.
It's the one skimmer I would trade my Supermarin for. I love the Deluxe.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/18/2017, 02:16 AM   #405
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
It's the one skimmer I would trade my Supermarin for. I love the Deluxe.
This skimmer kicks butt! I drain it last night before going to bed. This is how much skimmate it's pulled since being drained. I'm having to drain it daily.

Unread 08/18/2017, 09:05 AM   #406
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
This skimmer kicks butt! I drain it last night before going to bed. This is how much skimmate it's pulled since being drained. I'm having to drain it daily.

Holy cow... What speed are you running the pump at?

Unread 08/18/2017, 12:13 PM   #407
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Holy cow... What speed are you running the pump at?
It's running at 48 watts and has consistent foam production all day. It took awhile to dial in this skimmer but rasing the telescopic tube is what did it for me In Regards to the water level In the skimmer body. Then It was just a matter of playing with the pump speed. Wedge pipe wide open.

Unread 09/08/2017, 12:38 PM   #408
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

My skimmer just recently started foaming out of the holes in the lid and ever used to do this. Any idea what would be causing this?

IMG_2018.jpg

Unread 09/08/2017, 12:41 PM   #409
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
My skimmer just recently started foaming out of the holes in the lid and ever used to do this. Any idea what would be causing this?

Attachment 379428
Dose anything to the tank recently?

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:32 PM   #410
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Just usual stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:33 PM   #411
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I know my cup is pretty high right now but it will do this from an empty cup all the way to full. It's making a mess all over the sump and even flooring in front of tank.

Unread 09/08/2017, 01:53 PM   #412
GQuinn
Registered Member

I got a new Double Cone 180 about 5 weeks ago. I see in some of the set-up recommendations you specify 18-20 watts. My controller stops at 20 watts. I would like to verify the settings you would recommend for a heavily stocked 120 gallon aquarium. Sump depth, motor power and wedge valve. Thanks for all your help Scott.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2017, 04:05 PM   #413
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I got a new Double Cone 180 about 5 weeks ago. I see in some of the set-up recommendations you specify 18-20 watts. My controller stops at 20 watts. I would like to verify the settings you would recommend for a heavily stocked 120 gallon aquarium. Sump depth, motor power and wedge valve. Thanks for all your help Scott.
You must have the latest generation controller. I'd start at 20 watts and go from there and adjust the speed if needed until you get the foam the thickest possible for your load and system. You will want to play with those settings a bit to find what works best for you. Sump depth I'd start at would be between 8 - 8.5" and adjust the level where bubbles turn to foam in the body up to about an inch below the collar where the neck attaches to the body by closing the wedge pipe a bit. If you have a lot of dissolved organics, then adjust the level inside the body a little lower. Keep in mind that there is no one setting that works for every system. Everybody's load is different in terms of the amount of dissolved organics, the surface tension varies from one tank to the next and salinity can also make a difference from one tank to the next. Thus, these are guidelines to get you in the ballpark.

Unread 09/08/2017, 04:11 PM   #414
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post

Attachment 379428
Most would dream of having foam like that.. Now you know why they are called Bubble Kings

I wonder if there is some sort of a spawn or bloom going on in your tank. I would pull the pump nozzle off and inspect for salt creep in the venturi port. If salt is building up in there, it restricts the airflow which could cause in change in the air bubbles and will also raise the level inside the skimmer. This could be a precursor to an overflow if that's the case. If so, clean the salt creep out of the port. If it's not that then it's likely something in your water. If you are dosing something new, that can cause it and I am sure it's safe to assume you haven't done a cyano treatment. You could always clean the lid and add a bit of vegetable oil via a paper towel to the underside of the lid and lid ring. That should cause the foam to breakdown on contact.

Unread 09/08/2017, 04:34 PM   #415
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I didn't know about that vegetable oil trick. I have a bad outbreak of cyano but haven't used anything to treat it so no additives that are known to cause the skimmer to go nuts. Was just curious because it's just started doing it out of the blue and I haven't figured out why yet.

Unread 09/08/2017, 04:35 PM   #416
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

And yes ITS A BEAST!

Unread 09/12/2017, 08:53 AM   #417
James404
I <3 Acros

Been looking at the BK's for my new SPS setup. Any recommendations? My tank is 80g + 40g sump, med-heavy bioload. Double Cone 150 or 180 I'm considering...

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:05 AM   #418
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
Been looking at the BK's for my new SPS setup. Any recommendations? My tank is 80g + 40g sump, med-heavy bioload. Double Cone 150 or 180 I'm considering...
Double Cone 150 or Mini 160 would work great. You could also go Mini 180 or Double Cone 180. The Mini's as well as the double cone 180 would be easier to tune than the Double Cone 150. The 180 sized skimmer would need to be run wet to keep them consistent but if you truly have a medium to heavy fish load and feed a decent amount, the Double Cone 180 should work pretty well for you.

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:50 AM   #419
James404
I <3 Acros

Thanks the tank isn't set up yet but I like to keep many fish including anthias and feed heavy in my previous tanks. I'm leaning towards the 180 I just don't want to over size and be inconsistent.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 09/15/2017, 06:14 PM   #420
James404
I <3 Acros

Ended up buying the double cone 150, super excited to have my first BK!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Unread 09/20/2017, 06:50 AM   #421
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Hey slief ,

So I am still learning my double cone 150 . It's sitting in a sump depth of 6.75 inch , and volume is opened at 4.5 turns . Broke in smoothly and still working fine .
However , often I see that water is throttling in the silicone pipe that allows air to be injected into the skimmer . It's like throttling !!
I found that the more I open the water wedge and drop my water line , the water throttling is reduced in the air pipe .
But now the water line is quite low !! Like a little above half way in the skimmer .

Any idea ?

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 09:05 AM   #422
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Hey slief ,

So I am still learning my double cone 150 . It's sitting in a sump depth of 6.75 inch , and volume is opened at 4.5 turns . Broke in smoothly and still working fine .
However , often I see that water is throttling in the silicone pipe that allows air to be injected into the skimmer . It's like throttling !!
I found that the more I open the water wedge and drop my water line , the water throttling is reduced in the air pipe .
But now the water line is quite low !! Like a little above half way in the skimmer .

Any idea ?

Regards,
Abhishek
I would suggest raising the water level in the sump slightly (about 1/4" at most to start). A little adjustment can make a big difference so keep that in mind when making adjustments. That will get the level up higher in the skimmer without having to close the wedge pipe as much. The open the nozzle a tad bit more.

Last edited by slief; 09/20/2017 at 09:51 AM.
Unread 09/20/2017, 07:00 PM   #423
mike810
Registered Member

Scott,

I have a deluxe 250 internal and noticed twice now, the skimmer shutting down then restarting again. The first time, I didn't see if any codes were thrown and it restarted before I caught it. This time, I believe I saw an F3 on the pump controller before it restarted. Could you tell me what that means and how to resolve it?

Unread 09/20/2017, 08:56 PM   #424
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Scott,

I have a deluxe 250 internal and noticed twice now, the skimmer shutting down then restarting again. The first time, I didn't see if any codes were thrown and it restarted before I caught it. This time, I believe I saw an F3 on the pump controller before it restarted. Could you tell me what that means and how to resolve it?
You sure it wasn't an F8? If so, that is an indication or an obstruction in the air line which can be caused by salt creep in the venturi port. The motor senses the air draw and if the airflow is restricted, it will notify you with an F8 error. Pull the nozzle off the skimmer and inspect the venturi port.

If it's F3 that means that something is obstructing the impeller or creating resistance on the impeller. Could be a snail or something in there or could be calcium or other buildup. Take the pump apart, remove the impeller, pull off the o-rings and set them aside. Give the motor, impeller and volute a 10 minute soak in vinegar and scrub everything afterwards including taking a toothbrush to the inside of the magnet cavity. Then rinse and reassamble.

Unread 09/23/2017, 11:36 PM   #425
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
You sure it wasn't an F8? If so, that is an indication or an obstruction in the air line which can be caused by salt creep in the venturi port. The motor senses the air draw and if the airflow is restricted, it will notify you with an F8 error. Pull the nozzle off the skimmer and inspect the venturi port.

If it's F3 that means that something is obstructing the impeller or creating resistance on the impeller. Could be a snail or something in there or could be calcium or other buildup. Take the pump apart, remove the impeller, pull off the o-rings and set them aside. Give the motor, impeller and volute a 10 minute soak in vinegar and scrub everything afterwards including taking a toothbrush to the inside of the magnet cavity. Then rinse and reassamble.
I'll have to try and see which code is being thrown the next time it shuts off. There really shouldn't be anything in the sump with 13 socks.