Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Whip316
Registered Member

Ranking Nikon digital slr cameras?

I did some reading and checked the stickies and I been searching Craigslist for a gently used Nikon camera.
Which one to get?
Can someone rank the Nikon models from best to worse?
The prices for each model are all over the map. I tried to look at the differences between lets say a d90 and a d5000? I know I want a Nikon and I want to get the tamron 103 lens for takin pics of my tank. Stickies helped me decide that. But the specs on the different models are throwing me off. The prices vary alot from model to model. And I want a knowledgeable person to rank them for me please.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Whip316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

Look here.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search..._-DSLR_Cameras

Unread 03/19/2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Recty
Registered Member

I also like the site DPReview.

You can go to cameras, then select side-by-side comparison, and pick all the cameras you are interested in, then get a long list of all their features next to each other and compare them to see what you are interested in.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Slpolo121
Registered Member

I got a d7000 & love it

Slpolo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 08:43 AM   #5
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

I had a D7000 that I bought new and sold it

You won't find a nicer camera than the D7000. That is an investment that will last many years.

HurricaneSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSystem View Post
You won't find a nicer camera than the D7000. That is an investment that will last many years.
There are many cameras nicer than a D7000, on both the Nikon and the Canon side.

Unread 03/31/2012, 12:04 PM   #7
BBraker
Registered Member

AND the D7000 will likely be getting replaced, or at least refreshed later this year.

The 24mp D3200 that is coming out in April is going to be interesting - a mixture of high end sensor and low end mechanicals....

Bill

BBraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 12:10 PM   #8
BlueCorn
Retired

It's nearly impossible to "rank" any manufacturers cameras in any kind of meaningful way. Everyone has different needs. For example, with my style of shooting, high ISO performance or FPS speeds mean nothing. To a wedding or sports photographer, they're everything. Decide what's important to you, personally, and use that to drive your purchase. Making decisions based on what's right for someone else is often the wrong way to go.

Cheers

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Misled
RC Mod

Here's the problem with this thread. Any competent photographer, can take any camera on the "list" (given good glass), and take great pics. It may take them a little time to get used to the controls, but it isn't the body that makes it. Yes, some may be better at higher ISO's, but someone that knows what they're doing can work around those things. If you get into video, look for that, but what feels comfortable is the biggest factor. If you have small hands, you're most likely not going to be able to handle a D3s with a 70-200VR2 very easily. Go out and handle what you're looking at and see what it feels like. Then learn to use it.

Unread 03/31/2012, 03:00 PM   #10
dendronepthya
Premium Member

Fact of the matter is, the performance capabilities of all of these cameras greatly exceed the ability of 99.9% of everyone that buys them.

Current Tank Info: 5000-gallon greenhouse system
dendronepthya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Misled
RC Mod

I was trying to be nice!!!