Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2019, 03:56 AM   #1
emilese
Registered Member

Conch goes everywhere except the sand

I picked up a small fighting conch on Friday with the thought that it would do a good job cleaning and sifting the sandbed. But, since it's been in my tank it seems to prefer everything but the sandbed. It's been all over the live rock, the glass, and I even had to remove it from the gyre pump. It has spent very little time on the sandbed.

Has anyone else had this issue?

emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 04:55 AM   #2
ohsoreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilese View Post
I picked up a small fighting conch on Friday with the thought that it would do a good job cleaning and sifting the sandbed. But, since it's been in my tank it seems to prefer everything but the sandbed. It's been all over the live rock, the glass, and I even had to remove it from the gyre pump. It has spent very little time on the sandbed.

Has anyone else had this issue?
It sounds like he's very hungry. How old is the system and do you have a decent amount of life in the sand bed? . Every few months i will see mine a couple inches up the glass reaching some harder to reach alge film. What sand do you have (if you know)? They are pretty heavy an not really designed to go vertical. Spot feed of you can.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

ohsoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 05:26 AM   #3
emilese
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoreef View Post
It sounds like he's very hungry. How old is the system and do you have a decent amount of life in the sand bed? . Every few months i will see mine a couple inches up the glass reaching some harder to reach alge film. What sand do you have (if you know)? They are pretty heavy an not really designed to go vertical. Spot feed of you can.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
He may be but, the system is pretty established at 15 months old and I believe has a nice amount of life in the sand bed. I may try to spot feed but, I really hope he starts to forage in the sand bed.

Unread 02/18/2019, 09:06 AM   #4
jd371
Registered Member

My two conch snails always stay on the sand and I've never seen them anywhere else or even try to climb on the rocks or glass. For a time I thought they didn't climb until someone posted about theirs doing so.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 01:42 PM   #5
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Show us a pic. That doesn't really sound like true conch behavior.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 02:39 PM   #6
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I've had 3 conchs in my years of reefing, and I've never heard of one climbing before, especially to a powerhead, unless it was up against the rocks. Conchs have no adhesive foot, they only lump around on the floor. I could see them maaaaybe desperately hobbling up a low rock, but even then, they usually would roll right down again.

I'd check your species first.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 03:29 AM   #7
emilese
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm concerned that I didn't get what it was sold to me as. I'm not fluent in Chinese but, I thought I had the translation correct that it was a fighting conch (the translation was "sand snail" or something close to that).

I tried to get a couple pics, on of him high up on the rockwork and another of him on the glass at the top of the tank.

The pics aren't great but, let me know what you think he is.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conch1.jpg (54.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Conch2.jpg (71.0 KB, 19 views)
Unread 02/19/2019, 07:26 AM   #8
emilese
Registered Member

Here's one more pic of him on a rock.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Conch3.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
Unread 02/20/2019, 04:05 PM   #9
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Yep, it's a conch, but not a fighting conch. Most species will spend their time on sand grazing on algae, but a few small species spend most of their time on hard surfaces feeding on diatoms and microalgae. Yours is one of those. I guess he's hunting something to eat.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote