Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Vlado4x4
Registered Member

Eel on mix reef ?

Which eel would be recomended for a mixed reef ?

I have severall shrimps, different sizes.

And do i need a special decour or with sufficient LR is ok ?

By the way i have a 220g sistem

Thanks

Vlado4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 02:30 PM   #2
clowntriggerfis
Moved On

All eels will eat your shrimp if that matters to you. What other fish will you have? A GDM or ribbon eel would work best if there is going to be other fish.

clowntriggerfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Sao870
Registered Member

Is honestly just do some engineer gobies, just make sure all of your rocks are touching the glass

UNIVERSITY OF TOLEDO ROCKETS!!!!
O-LINE!!
Sao870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowntriggerfis View Post
All eels will eat your shrimp if that matters to you. What other fish will you have? A GDM or ribbon eel would work best if there is going to be other fish.
They will huh...

I have a 3ft. Zebra Moray in my reef, I have a Tailspot Blenny that picks on him, I have a couple of friends that also have Zebra's in there reefs with cleaner shrimps, Fire Shrimps, Coral Banded, Crabs...etc.I have lots of small fish and Shrimps.Merv never takes a second look at them.That being said, this is the only eel I trust in my tank with inverts, if you want a docile creature, a Zebra Moray is the Eel To get.

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Pheonix Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics, 2 Tunze 6095's, Tunze 7096 controller, Ozone, Precision Marine Skimmer, Reef Octopus Bio-Churn Bio Pellet Reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactor, Ozone Reactor, ATO, Reef Keeper.
Reef264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 03:35 PM   #5
clowntriggerfis
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef264 View Post
They will huh...

I have a 3ft. Zebra Moray in my reef, I have a Tailspot Blenny that picks on him, I have a couple of friends that also have Zebra's in there reefs with cleaner shrimps, Fire Shrimps, Coral Banded, Crabs...etc.I have lots of small fish and Shrimps.Merv never takes a second look at them.That being said, this is the only eel I trust in my tank with inverts, if you want a docile creature, a Zebra Moray is the Eel To get.
Forgot about cleaner shrimp they clean eels sothey are uaualy left alone. You are lucky that your zebra doesnt eat inverts that is there natural food source.

clowntriggerfis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

Yeah, Surprised me too.I had a Peppermint in there, But my Fire Shrimp Killed him.

Current Tank Info: 150g SPS Reef, 2x250w 14k Pheonix Metal Halides w/T-5 Actinics, 2 Tunze 6095's, Tunze 7096 controller, Ozone, Precision Marine Skimmer, Reef Octopus Bio-Churn Bio Pellet Reactor, GFO & Carbon Reactor, Ozone Reactor, ATO, Reef Keeper.
Unread 01/16/2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Vlado4x4
Registered Member

Amazing pic Reef264.

I have 2 pepermint, 2 lysmatas and 2 bood shrimps. All of them work really nice, but had second thoughts about getting an eel.

The zebra one is really big. I have a couple of tangs, no small fish though.

I was thinking more of a blue ribbon or one that dosen`t get to big, with mouth for others getting inside without permision

Vlado4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 05:48 PM   #8
b0bab0ey
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef264 View Post
Yeah, Surprised me too.I had a Peppermint in there, But my Fire Shrimp Killed him.
You must keep that eel well fed. I guess if he isn't hungry no reason to go after the shrimp.

b0bab0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Reef264
Where's The Reef?

Actually no, Merv eats once a Week, 2 or 3 Large Raw Shrimp Per Feeding.

Unread 01/16/2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Allmost
Moved On

I've had a snow flake for a while, hasn't touched any of my fish nor shrimps, but when I got him, he was tiny, maybe he doesn't yet know other fish could be food lol I feed him mysis.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 08:10 AM   #11
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Reef264 -- just confirming: you target feed once a week only? Always large raw shrimp (any particular kind?) or ever scallops or something else?

Against my better judgement I am going to get one. I say against better judgement because I worry something bad will happen and I'll be "stuck" (will be impossible I imagine to ever get it out without tearing apart the reef entirely.)

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 08:15 AM   #12
iLLwiLL
Codename: Dutchess

I have a 3' zebra eel in my 180 and he is fine with small fish and inverts. only problems I ever have with him is when he gets hungry he becomes active and in a packed sps tank that can get irritating.

~Will.

Unread 04/25/2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Woodchuck12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
I've had a snow flake for a while, hasn't touched any of my fish nor shrimps, but when I got him, he was tiny, maybe he doesn't yet know other fish could be food lol I feed him mysis.
I've actually wondered that before. If you get an eel at a young enough age and are consistent with when and what you feed it, maybe it will not attack other fish/inverts because it doesn't know that they're food. Just a thought

Woodchuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck12 View Post
I've actually wondered that before. If you get an eel at a young enough age and are consistent with when and what you feed it, maybe it will not attack other fish/inverts because it doesn't know that they're food. Just a thought
I'll let u know if that is true or not in a year when he gets bigger

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 05:04 PM   #15
G4546
Registered Member

Absolutely beautiful photo Reef264... "ghost" ribbons are quite docile (Pseudechidna brummeri)

G4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

I have a zebra andhes fine with the shrimp

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 05:59 PM   #17
nicky11
Registered Member

You should really try a ribbon eel. I've had one in my reef for the last 5 months and he's doing amazing. Eats fine, comes out to swim a lot, won't tumble over any corals. I just added some pvc tunnels that go under the sand and have 4 openings to pop out, he loves it in there. No regrets at all, just recommend making sure the eel eats before buying it.

cheers

nicky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Eric the half-bee
Passer of gasses

I too have a zebra and ribbon in my tank(>2 years). Never kept shrimp alongside as I have fed live gulf shrimp in the past & I don't know how my clan would react to fire or cleaners.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. – Barry Goldwater

Current Tank Info: Semi agressive reef-400 gal.-8 tangs,2 rabbit fish,zebra moray,blue ribbon eel,Janss' pipe,pair bangaiis,wrasse,tomato clown,maroon clown
Eric the half-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2012, 03:16 PM   #19
EHGobie
Registered Member

I have a snowflake eel in my tank for about a year now and i have many crabs, snails, and inverts even a sea slug and he never goes near them i had a coral banded shrimp but my 3.5" saddle back female started to eat it alive. i got my snowflake when he was a baby and belive it or not he will not harm inverts. people say heal attack fan worms but prove them wrong? i did got 3 fans has not even cared enoph to look at them.

p.s. good luck!

EHGobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

Peppermint and camel shrimp are also cleaners and often live in the same burrows as eels. There are thousands of pics from the wild showing this.

Unread 04/28/2012, 08:45 AM   #21
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

IMO the problem with many of the Echidna species eels is their girth as adults (maybe skeletor or polyzona or another small species might be best). As mentioned, they will cause breakage, rockslides, etc in a packed reef, IMO. Ribbon eels are great, but not small-fish safe. I would think snake eels (Myrichthys) would make a really great choice, since they don't get thick like Echidna eels, and don't eat fish (at least in my experience with one). But they will eat shrimp, cleaner or otherwise.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote