Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Sparkss
Registered Member

Question PBT, PBT or Hybrid experiences

I am looking for experiences with Powder Brown, Poweder Blue or more specifically Hybrid tangs. I am more interested in how they conducted themselves and how agressive they were (or became). I had heard stories of PBTs attacking and killing tank mates, but I would like to put it all into context. IE: How big was the tank? what did it attack and/or kill ? Which one was added first ? (the PBT of what it attacked) and anything else that might help us to make an informed purchasing decision.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 08:05 PM   #2
little_d
Registered Member

240 gal, 8x2x2, tank mates at the time were 2 yellow tangs, powder brown tang, sailfin tang, vlamigii tang and blue tang there were no issue, everybody got along just fine, until I decided to add the PBT and that is when the powder brown started to fight with the power blue, both of them did not make it after a couple of weeks later.

A few months later I gave away the vlamigii and got the achilles, great looking tang and getting along well with all other tangs, about 6 months later I added the PBT hopping that they will get along but not for long the achilles is gone before I can trap him out.

In my opion the powder blue is much more agressive but would get along fine if you introduce him last.

Current tank mates, blue tang, 2 yellow tangs, kole tang, sailfin tang and the powder blue tang all doing great.

little_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 09:05 PM   #3
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Are you still thinking about that one at aquatic gallery?

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 09:18 PM   #4
juaninsac
Moved On

20,000 gallon tank, 3 existing Acanthurus japonicus, added 2 new of the same species, as well as some lineatus tangs. The established tangs beat the hell out of the new ones. Ounce for ounce they are pretty much the top of the Acanthurid pecking order IMhO. I for one wouldn't put this fish in anything smaller than a 400 gallon with any other Acanthurid, especially not a similar looking (A. nigricans, A. leucosternon) or similarly aggressive (A. lineatus, A. sohal) species. They seem to mix relatively better with tangs of a different genus (i.e. Ctenochaetus, Zebrasoma, Naso spp.).

Your mileage may, of course, vary significantly. Hope this helps.

juaninsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Sparkss
Registered Member

Mark, yes I am. but is turned out not to be a hybrid. I talked to Dr Le just a short while ago and he told me that it was a goldrim tang, from the Red Sea area, not a hybrid tang, as we had thought. Either way we are planning to pop down and pick it up this weekend. He basically told us to bring our own trap if we wanted the fish out of that tank..

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Unread 04/03/2007, 09:27 PM   #6
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

That is what you call fishing.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 03:40 PM   #7
jacmyoung
Premium Member

Tom, I don't know if you recall the PBT discussion we had, below is a picture I posted that time again:

I thought it was PBT but now after seeing more other PBTs I start to believe mine is maybe a hybrid but showing more characteristics of a PBT than a powder brown tang. He does very well in my 120g, just one pecking order below my yellow tang since the yellow had been in the tank from the start. He is peaceful and not bullied by the yellow either, stands on his own.

jacmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 10:36 PM   #8
xinumaster
reef addict

Hi Tom, I was just at AG today and I saw the tang you're fishing. It looks really nice. I think I want one too.

If you happen to catch a chromis when you're there let me know I want to buy those large chromis.

Current Tank Info: 375g tank 8'x30"x30"
xinumaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Sparkss
Registered Member

Sure thing Perry.. PM me your phone # and I will call you from AG if we manage to catch one of those.

Dr Le did mention that he was going to try to get more of those tangs in next week or so, but we don't get down that way often, so I want to try to catch the one hes has, while we are there. Typically we have been relatively lucky in catching fish, so we shall see .