Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2007, 07:37 PM   #1
fishyz
Registered Member

Atlantic blue tangs

Has anyone had an expirience with atlantic blue tangs? I would love to get one for my 90g, but I need some more info on their hardiness/aggressiveness. Thanks

fishyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Amphiprion
Premium Member

They are relatively hardy and not very aggressive (IME) compared to other Acanthurus spp. I would recommend a larger tank, though. This species, like most/all tangs, is very very active. The main thing with this species is to make absolutely sure it has plenty (let me rephrase that--LOTS) of algae in its diet to do its best.

Current Tank Info: 40g breeder patch reef w/ seagrass; 2-250w XM 10K; Vortech MP40wES & MP10wES; BM Curve 7 skimmer; carbon & occasional GFO
Amphiprion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 11:25 PM   #3
nyvp
Registered Member

just got a juvie put in my tank. started off a little scared and skinny but 2 weeks in my tank and hes settling down and fatting up.

Here he is with a juvie mimic and orange shoulder

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Goodwood
Registered Member

Awsome fish one of my favs., but they do get pretty large quick. One day Ill have something bigger than a 90.

Goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 10:20 PM   #5
BlueNWhite
Registered Member

It is a beautiful fish and will have varying color patterns depending on its mood.

Most importantly, it will grow quite fast no matter what you feed it. It is a pretty hardy fish if it is fed well. It will easily grow faster than a Yellow or Purple Tang, at least that was my experience.

Good luck!

BlueNWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 10:56 PM   #6
wady
Registered Member

Hi fishyz!

All the advice above is spot on in my experience. I had the pleasure of looking after one for about a year. It's true they do get big fast. It's also true that mine couldn't get enough nori/seaweed/algea. He did share it with the other fish however, letting them all have a go at picking seaweed from the clip. Indeed a very active fish and would regularly display different patterns or shading depending on his moods. Particularly whilst feeding sometimes showing thick dark vertical stripes briefly. Mine never showed any signs of problem aggression until I added an 8 line fairy wrasse to the tank. This was most unexpected as both fish couldn't be more different in shape or colour. The tang had seen the introduction of a couple of other fish in the past and had payed no attention to them what so ever. My tank is about 110 gallons and at the time there were only two fairy wrasse, two clown fish and a candy hog in the tank. As far as I'm aware all should have been fine. After about 48 hours of complete evil madness from the tang chasing the new wrasse around the reef (even with lights out) I couldn't bare to let it continue so a very hard choice was made to re-home the Atlantic Blue Tang. I have a particular love of fairy wrasse and the Red Sea 8-line being quite hard to come by, got the vote in the end.

It was a sad day but he went to a great new home. I guess he was just acting like Tangs typically do when a new fish is added to the tank. Perhaps it would have calmed down eventually but I didn't want to take any chances. It was painful to watch.

Best of luck with yours if you decided to get one. Here's some photos of mine. The first couple are when I first got him, still showing some yellow juv/colouring;

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon
wady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 11:42 PM   #7
fishyz
Registered Member

Awesome pics! After seeing those pics I want an atlantic blue tang even more! My tank is fairly small(at least for a larger tang), but I would only have one centerpiece fish which would be the tang, along with smaller fish. I'm really tempted to try one, and I know I couldn't keep it forever, but it is a fish which not to many people have or see and thats what my goal is for my tank. Are they as prone to ich as the hippo tang? Thanks

fishyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2007, 11:59 PM   #8
Phyxius
Moving About

I have 2 of them at the moment. Mine in my 90 and another in my other tank till buddy picks him up (Its his and I`m babysitting till his new tank is done) They are great fish and have really nice color. Like others say they get big and I do have him in a 90 but will be going into a 180 within 6-9 mths. The other one is being put in buddies 180 also. Buddies had ICH when we picked it up but since being in a QT situation here and lacing the food with Selcon he pulled through with no problem and has stayed ich free the last 2 mths.

They are a little shy till they get used to the tank and after that have a good personality. Mine hangs out with my clowns all the time but stays away from our aggressive 6 line since they had a few spats at the beginning. Eats tons of nori and will come take it out of your fingers when you supply it. Hard to get it in the clip when the fish is tugging at it Also eats Formula 2 and 1 pellets I give the other fish. They are also the first to meet you at the glass when they see you approaching.

Watching them change colors is really neat to watch. They start out yellow with blue accents and then gradually turn blue toned like wady posted and then to darker blues.

Heres a QT pic of one and a tank pic of the other. Sorry pics are a bit blurry.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it.
W. C. Fields

Current Tank Info: JUST SOLD AND TOOK DOWN ALL 11/10---210g AGA, 80g sump, Tunze Streams. Tunze ATO,RK Elite Controller, RKII,Dart, GEO Calcium& Nielsen Kalk Reactors,GEO media reactor, Kaleini Rock, 3-250 watt 14k EVC , VHO..... 34g Solana and 60g cube
Phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 01:27 AM   #9
Goodwood
Registered Member

Wow nice fish, you make me want one.

Just pulled my Powder Brown out, he had grown pretty big so I sent to a bigger home.

Goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Denadai
Registered Member

Well,

I´m from Brazil and I can take this fish at my door..or buy one for 5 bucks

This fish is not a good idea to add a reef aquarium...poor survive and get diseases very easy

Regards

Denadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 10:27 AM   #11
wantsalotta
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Denadai
Well,

I´m from Brazil and I can take this fish at my door..or buy one for 5 bucks

This fish is not a good idea to add a reef aquarium...poor survive and get diseases very easy

Regards
And you have a POWDER BLUE as your avatar, but advise against an atlantic blue?

wantsalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 12:06 PM   #12
Meisen
Premium Member

Nice progression pics! Love it.

Current Tank Info: Tankless. Like your water heater.
Meisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 06:54 PM   #13
Denadai
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wantsalotta
And you have a POWDER BLUE as your avatar, but advise against an atlantic blue?
Yes, Powder Blue is easier than an atlantic blue tang.

Maybe the caribean atlantic blue tang be more hard than brazilian.

But here in Brazil , I never saw a juvenile become an adult...all them are dead

Regards

Unread 02/02/2007, 07:24 PM   #14
wantsalotta
Registered Member

Where I am, powder blues are one of the hardest, if not the absolute hardest. It seems as if they get ich and crypt worse than anybody

Current Tank Info: 48 x 36 upgrade in process
wantsalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Denadai
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wantsalotta
Where I am, powder blues are one of the hardest, if not the absolute hardest. It seems as if they get ich and crypt worse than anybody
I have one very happy here in my reef

PB has a big problem with poison and can suffer a lot in the shipping

If you get one with good health, he will thive for years

Regards

Unread 02/03/2007, 09:19 AM   #16
lynn53
Registered Member

I have a AB tang as well. Actually it was a friend of mine and she shut down her tank so I took it. Shes about 5-6" in size and I have her in my 180. I love the color and look of the fish, but she drives me nuts swimming and darting back and forth constantly. She's run into the bubble tip a couple times, in her frenzied behavior now and is blind in one eye because of it. I don't think my 180 is big enough for this fish and wish it had much more room. My purple tank is way more laid back and is content to pick at rocks and cruise the tank.
cheers

Current Tank Info: I'm down now to two 180gal. reef tanks
lynn53 is offline   Reply With Quote