Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2008, 02:32 PM   #26
xtm
Registered Member

For what it's worth, this controller is practically the same as Tunze 6091 wave controller. The difference is that the 6091 has foodtimer and master/slave setting. If you don't want to build this controller, just buy the 6091 by itself... I think it's $90 online.

Btw, the 7091 (singlecontroller) and 7095 (multicontroller) cannot do the wave function. They are too slow for switching and are used primarily for regular stream applications.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 02:36 PM   #27
Bryan
Registered Member

Hmm, I wonder if using a 555 timer with a 50% duty cycle is a good idea for the pump. Perhaps it's better to use a PWM signal. I think that is what the wavebox uses. easier on the pump.

Anybody have a wavebox who can connect a scope on the controller to see what it is doing?

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 02:41 PM   #28
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
Has anyone started building theirs yet?
I'm thinking about it, but I'm concerned about the real-estate the box will consume -- how critical is placement? Can the box be shoved into the back corner of the tank and still be effective, or does it need to be midpoint on the side? How much clearance from live rock is needed?

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
hyperfocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 02:52 PM   #29
Deuce67
Registered Member

I built mine a couple of months ago. It took me forever to find the sweet spot but it worked great! I like the diy controller better than the Tunze 6091. The diy can pulse way faster than the 6091. I couldnt get use to the box so I took it off. I still control a 6100 with the diy controller and still get some good swaying action from my corals pe without the box. The wave is not as smooth as when I had the box but still pretty good. I just plug my 6100 to my Reefkeeper so I can have a food timer button lol.

Deuce67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 03:02 PM   #30
jgs107
Registered Member

i can build the boxes if anyone needs them built but im not sure about the actual controller.i know nothing about computers.maybe if someone can make me one i can make the box for them.pm me if this sounds like an idea

jgs107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 04:47 PM   #31
xtm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan
Hmm, I wonder if using a 555 timer with a 50% duty cycle is a good idea for the pump. Perhaps it's better to use a PWM signal. I think that is what the wavebox uses. easier on the pump.

Anybody have a wavebox who can connect a scope on the controller to see what it is doing?
PWM would work, but unnecessary. The wavebox has been running non-stop since January through May (5 months). I recently just switched to a shallow reef tank so I took out the wavebox but now I'm thinking about putting it back on.

Deuce and hyperfocal: The space issue bugged me too. I couldn't stand looking at a huge black box that took a huge chunk of my tank. I was going to install it EXTERNALLY on my current tank but I got lazy. Maybe I'll do it one weekend...... but I have to empty the WHOLE tank. Too much work

Unread 06/16/2008, 07:06 PM   #32
chrismunn
Registered Member

thanks for the clarification xtm. i didnt know you needed all the special equipment to run a tunze pump. they must be good pumps because needing all the extra equipment sounds irritating, but people buy the crap out of them!

i guess it doesnt help that im equipment illiterate!

by the way, you must be friends with weatherson over there at CVR huh? i bet if you guys teamed up you could make just about anything a reefer ( or astronaut) could ever want or need!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 07:39 PM   #33
chrismunn
Registered Member

nevermind i take that back. SFV is way far south huh? im form the SF bay and i dont know my way around south of pismo beach.

im location illiterate too

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 08:14 PM   #34
xtm
Registered Member

hey chrismunn,

San Fernando Valley is in Los Angeles county.. but "weatherson" sounds really familiar to me. I think I've seen him post here.

Unread 06/16/2008, 08:35 PM   #35
Am4nn
Registered Member

you should post a video on youtube so we can see it in action.

Am4nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2008, 09:34 PM   #36
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Am4nn
you should post a video on youtube so we can see it in action.
HUH?

there is a you tube vid in the first post..

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 07:07 AM   #37
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

the other link posted(which ive seen before) has a course and fine control knob. Why did you use just one? Seems like it isnt that hard to wire up the second fine adjustment and it would make it much easier to tune the wave.

Either way good stuff. One of these days I will get off my butt and make one out of this resun pump I have.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 09:04 AM   #38
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

XTM,

PM sent!

Unread 06/17/2008, 11:21 AM   #39
xtm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EnderG60
the other link posted(which ive seen before) has a course and fine control knob. Why did you use just one? Seems like it isnt that hard to wire up the second fine adjustment and it would make it much easier to tune the wave.

Either way good stuff. One of these days I will get off my butt and make one out of this resun pump I have.
Yes I thought about adding the 2nd fine adjustment control (one for ON duration and one for OFF duration). However, the original wavebox controller (6091) only has ONE knob so common sense tells me that the pulse it creates are "evenly spaced" so to speak, so I tried to make it a very simple circuit that works (KISS principle in full effect). However, I will continue working on improving this prototype to add more features later.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming!

Unread 06/17/2008, 11:32 AM   #40
Deuce67
Registered Member

xtm, I know that this is a wavebox thread but, do you have any ideas on a diy controller that can alternate the pulse of 2 pumps on and off?

Deuce67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 11:39 AM   #41
xtm
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Well last night I hit a road block.. I put the wavebox in my shallow tank (24x36x18) and it BARELY made a wave. BARELY. It did make a nice smooth wave but it was too mild. I need something that will spill water on the sides.

That experiment leads me to these conclusions:

1. For a wider tank, I will need a more powerful pump, like a 6200. (I was using a 6100) If you're satisfied with a 1" wave then a 6100 is fine but I felt that it was having a hard time pushing water out of the box.

2. I think the length of the tank has a lot to do with it also. I could never perfect that "see-saw" on this 3-ft tank like I used to on my old 4-ft 75g tank.

3. The depth (front to back) plays a huge part. 24" vs. 15" deep. Narrow tanks are easier to displace than wide tanks.

4. I think if I used an additional wavebox (two on the same side) that pumps at the same time, I can spill some water. but until then I will have to settle for a 1" wave.

5. The more cube-ish the tank, the harder it is to make the wave.

6. I also felt that a "fine adjustment" knob might have helped in this situation. I'll work on that this weekend.

I will post some new videos tonight when I get home.

Unread 06/17/2008, 11:53 AM   #42
xtm
Registered Member

Yes you can easily modify the circuit so one output turns ON when the other turns OFF and vice versa. Lookup "alternating LED flasher" circuit on Google, that should give you an idea on how to modify this circuit.

Quote:
Originally posted by Deuce67
xtm, I know that this is a wavebox thread but, do you have any ideas on a diy controller that can alternate the pulse of 2 pumps on and off?

Unread 06/17/2008, 12:10 PM   #43
flat broke
Registered Member

Tuning the resonant frequency on a shorter distance is harder. Because you need to operate at shorter wavelength(the wave has less distance to travel before it reflects back) the problem may be that the box can't fill fast enough during the "off" period, and the subsequent "on" period is too short to displace enough water to get the amplitude that you need.

I think you need a higher amplitude (bigger pump) but not because of the tanks water volume so much as because you have a narrower window of time move the water, so you need a pump with a higher flow/time ratio to move the same amount of water in a shorter space of time.

I'd bet that you could pull the pump out of the box and get very similar results. That would tend to support the idea that the shorter shorter wavelength is hindering your ability to displace enough water at the current amplitude.

BTW, I found this from the SoCal forum, and have to say that it's an awesome thread. If I had the space in my cube, I'd consider building one of these. I will always have a cube or cubish tank , but maybe the next build could incorporate an external box and overflow.

Does the displaced water get affected by aquascaping? As an example, lets say you had a 60g cube with an external wavebox. If the aquascaping was essentially a central pilar of rock with coral branching out, would it disrupt the wave? My thought is no, and the wave would actually provide good movement on the side of the pilar oposite the outlet of the box; but I figgured I'd ask as I know you have experience with 60g cubes, and now waveboxes 60g cubes are an odity with regard to flow because the relatively short dimensions don't allow higher flow rates to disperse before hitting the glass and running down to the sandbed causing all sorts of problems. A wavebox could really help with that issue, allowing the use of gentler powerheads/cl outlets for suplemental flow.

Keep up the good work, and if you decide do do a pulse width version of the controler, PLEASE post up schematics and a "how to".

Chris

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 01:06 PM   #44
xtm
Registered Member

hey Chris!

Tuning the resonant frequency on a shorter distance is harder. Because you need to operate at shorter wavelength(the wave has less distance to travel before it reflects back) the problem may be that the box can't fill fast enough during the "off" period, and the subsequent "on" period is too short to displace enough water to get the amplitude that you need.

correct. You are dead-on about the box not filling up fast enough - I felt that this is a very limiting factor if you want a good wave. Two waveboxes should solve this issue.

I'd bet that you could pull the pump out of the box and get very similar results. That would tend to support the idea that the shorter shorter wavelength is hindering your ability to displace enough water at the current amplitude.

I did and the result was phenomenal! It didn't have the seesaw motion though but the waves it created without the box was insane.

BTW, I found this from the SoCal forum, and have to say that it's an awesome thread. If I had the space in my cube, I'd consider building one of these. I will always have a cube or cubish tank , but maybe the next build could incorporate an external box and overflow.

thanks. It will be tough to implement these on a cube.. but we can always try a nanostream for that.

Does the displaced water get affected by aquascaping? As an example, lets say you had a 60g cube with an external wavebox. If the aquascaping was essentially a central pilar of rock with coral branching out, would it disrupt the wave? My thought is no, and the wave would actually provide good movement on the side of the pilar oposite the outlet of the box; but I figgured I'd ask as I know you have experience with 60g cubes, and now waveboxes 60g cubes are an odity with regard to flow because the relatively short dimensions don't allow higher flow rates to disperse before hitting the glass and running down to the sandbed causing all sorts of problems. A wavebox could really help with that issue, allowing the use of gentler powerheads/cl outlets for suplemental flow.

Correct, the wave is not affected by your aquascaping. When I had my 60g cube, I was able to get away with one 6060 in the corner and a coarse sand. Looking back, I think that you can make some serious waves in a 60g cube with one 6000 and a pulsing controller - without the box.

Unread 06/17/2008, 01:34 PM   #45
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Yup I spoke with a tunze rep and he said the 6100 would be good for a 3/4" to 1" wave in a 180. Their box uses a 6201 with a 6100 transformer.

A 6200, or a second box would definatly fix your problem.

Would you mind posting up a pic of the layout for a schematic that has a 24v input and simply varies the output(0-24v) rather then connect to the tunze DIN plug?

The resun pump I have just takes a simple 24v input that can be controled. You may want to look into one as well since the flow is about the same as the 6200, and they can be found on ebay all day long for well under $100. Plus you can get the 220v ones cheaper since you will basicly just cut off the controller and the pumps are 24v.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 03:32 PM   #46
energy_crisis
Registered Member

I noticed that your wave rises above and falls below your overflow. Does this affect your overflow rate?

energy_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 07:42 PM   #47
RockStarFish
Registered Member

Tagging

RockStarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 08:50 PM   #48
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by energy_crisis
I noticed that your wave rises above and falls below your overflow. Does this affect your overflow rate?
i assume that his overflow box holds enough water that when the wave is away the box dosent run dry....

on a side note i have seen that the overflow in the centre of the wave seems to have a continuous flow over it as the water in the centre of the wave dosent really seem to move..

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2008, 09:50 PM   #49
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

This is impressive and im wondering if something can be done with a 6055 Nano stream for a nano box.. I have one if you would like to try XTM.. I could ship it to you.

I know Tunze is coming out with the nano boxes in december, but no clue on which pump they are going to use.

Unread 06/17/2008, 09:56 PM   #50
Lunchbucket
Premium Member

So how could one make a 7095 (multi controller) DIY like this XTM? PM me if needed! I'd like to get one but they are TOO much money!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-

Current Tank Info: 58gal Oceanic RR, 2x400w MH (20k XM and 10k XM), Deltec PF601 Ca Rx, Deltec AP701 skimmer, mag950 return, iwaki 55rlt w/ an Oceansmotions 4-way unit, Tunze 7300 and 6000 each w/ controller, fluidized po4 rx
Lunchbucket is offline   Reply With Quote