Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2019, 02:42 AM   #2351
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

https://royalexclusiv.net/dreamboxen...lage-gr-s.html

Take this

Greetings Torben

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2019, 07:11 AM   #2352
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
Would like to get opinions on filter socks. Have 13 socks in my dream box and my buddy is telling to ditch the socks completely and just vacuum the sump of detritus occasionally.

Just run my big fat skimmer and UV and that’s it.

Thoughts??
I have ditched socks and just use quilt batting instead. Much easier as it's remove and toss. Does just as good a job as socks in my opinion. You may need to modify the filter sock hanging area to accommodate the batting though...

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2019, 12:38 PM   #2353
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Torben View Post
I’m not buying any new equipmwnt.

Unread 06/24/2019, 12:39 PM   #2354
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I have ditched socks and just use quilt batting instead. Much easier as it's remove and toss. Does just as good a job as socks in my opinion. You may need to modify the filter sock hanging area to accommodate the batting though...
There are spots between the filter sock holes where I can stuff some material in. Might try this.

Unread 06/26/2019, 06:58 PM   #2355
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Just put a blueface in. Last angel to go in. Need a school of anthias and tank is done.

Unread 06/26/2019, 07:18 PM   #2356
pfan151
Registered Member

Which anthias are you planning? Make sure you are extra strict on quarantine with anthias. They are uronema magnets.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 12:10 AM   #2357
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Probably lyretails. Yes- planing long qt with them.

Unread 06/27/2019, 06:24 AM   #2358
pfan151
Registered Member

Check out resplendent’s too they are one of my favorites of the ones that aren’t super hard to keep. They may shoal better than the lyretails if that is what you are looking for.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2019, 09:57 PM   #2359
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Check out resplendent’s too they are one of my favorites of the ones that aren’t super hard to keep. They may shoal better than the lyretails if that is what you are looking for.
Thx. Will do

Unread 03/29/2020, 06:16 PM   #2360
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Long time no post. Tank doing great. Fowlr only. Hope everyone is safe and well during this time. My tank is keeping me sane.

Unread 03/29/2020, 06:35 PM   #2361
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Long time no post. Tank doing great. Fowlr only. Hope everyone is safe and well during this time. My tank is keeping me sane.
Glad to hear that it’s doing good... main thing is that you’re happy with it!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2020, 07:30 PM   #2362
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Glad to hear that it’s doing good... main thing is that you’re happy with it!
Couldn’t be happier. Hope all is well!

Unread 03/30/2020, 09:31 PM   #2363
lionfish300
Registered Member

Any pics of the angels?

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 09:49 AM   #2364
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
Any pics of the angels?

I wish I could. The reason I stopped posting on this website is that this website sucks!

They have done nothing to update the servers or anything. Basic tasks such as posting images is impossible without using some 3rd party link, website etc.

Totally lame. I just dont have the energy to figure out something that every other website in the world has managed to do easily.

Unread 03/31/2020, 08:35 PM   #2365
mansorinc
Registered Member

Wow wow wow that’s beautifull!!! I just viewed all the posts took me hours lol.. your house and your tank is amazing!!! Good job man, god bless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mansorinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2020, 04:53 PM   #2366
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansorinc View Post
Wow wow wow that’s beautifull!!! I just viewed all the posts took me hours lol.. your house and your tank is amazing!!! Good job man, god bless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much!

Unread 04/23/2020, 09:19 PM   #2367
drs2140
Registered Member

Love all these pics and detailed life of your aquarium!

drs2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2020, 08:02 PM   #2368
Reice0923
Registered Member

That’s awesome

Reice0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2020, 05:46 PM   #2369
JMetaxas
Registered Member

I read through most of this amazing thread. To be honest, while the tank is incredible, I'm more amazed at the collection of wealth one must acquire to build a house like this.

It would be very tacky to ask how one does that, I can't lie, but I'm intrigued.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 09:51 AM   #2370
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
I read through most of this amazing thread. To be honest, while the tank is incredible, I'm more amazed at the collection of wealth one must acquire to build a house like this.

It would be very tacky to ask how one does that, I can't lie, but I'm intrigued.

Wealth is relative. What seems impossible for someone to imagine, is someone else lunch money. Ive done well, in the health care field and have built up a couple of companies and sold them but relatively speaking, there are plenty of more wealthy people in the world.

Im not trying to be flippant and I appreciate the comment but like I said, wealth is relative.

Unread 04/29/2020, 06:54 PM   #2371
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Quote:
Wealth is relative. What seems impossible for someone to imagine, is someone else lunch money. Ive done well, in the health care field and have built up a couple of companies and sold them but relatively speaking, there are plenty of more wealthy people in the world.

Im not trying to be flippant and I appreciate the comment but like I said, wealth is relative.

Of course, everything is relative. There is always someone better and worse off than you. People tend to compare themselves to their peer groups, so your home may not be all that to your friends. This I understand.

Money definitely doesn't always buy happiness, in fact, it often destroys it. There is responsibility to having money that those without don't understand.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2020, 08:29 PM   #2372
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMetaxas View Post
Of course, everything is relative. There is always someone better and worse off than you. People tend to compare themselves to their peer groups, so your home may not be all that to your friends. This I understand.

Money definitely doesn't always buy happiness, in fact, it often destroys it. There is responsibility to having money that those without don't understand.
The problem with money is when is enough enough. Money can’t buy happinesss but the day you find contentment with your own wealth - whatever that may be- is the day you find happiness.

More money, more bills. My wife and I started with my $1400 a month salary and we were happy. But then you make more money and buy a bigger house, more expensive cars. It’s never ending.

I still remember coming home in my brand new Porsche GT3 RS. Happy but immedialty thinking what’s next. That’s a problem. I’m happy and content.

Well- next house I definitely do a bigger tank.

Unread 05/12/2020, 12:08 PM   #2373
vadajo
Registered Member

@Socaltoaz, I dont know if its been asked but do you mind me asking you what you do for work? What was the turning point in your career that allowed you to have the opportunity to make the "big bucks". If im over steeping, I apologize in advance.

Anytime I meet anyone that I see as successful, I ask the same question.

vadajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2020, 12:16 PM   #2374
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadajo View Post
@Socaltoaz, I dont know if its been asked but do you mind me asking you what you do for work? What was the turning point in your career that allowed you to have the opportunity to make the "big bucks". If im over steeping, I apologize in advance.

Anytime I meet anyone that I see as successful, I ask the same question.

Health care. Im a dentist. But I dont practice anymore. I started several companies and sold them. Most recently am involved in an education company where we educate dental professionals for continuing education. Prior I had my own practice which I bought and built up and sold as my education business started to grow. Prior to that I had a seminar business where we hosted educational seminars in Vegas for dental professionals. Along the way dabbled in a bit of real estate but that was mostly a hobby for my wife more than anything.

My suggestion- find your core and stick to it. People run around chasing every opportunity only to become unfocused. very few people are Elon Musk where they can do multiple things.

Unread 05/13/2020, 09:44 AM   #2375
vadajo
Registered Member

@Socaltoaz thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the candor. Thanks for sharing the build and the insight into your life.

vadajo is offline   Reply With Quote