Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Swayze27
Registered Member

LTA Keepers???

So I have kept Mags, Hadonni, BTA's successfully but have yet to have any luck with LTA or Sebae. Going to give an LTA another shot and looking for any advice. The ones I tried in the past would never settle down. I think I had too course and too shallow of sand and perhaps was running too much flow. I have added 40 pounds of fine sand and have dialed the flow back. Any other tips on these guys? I'll be grabbing one this week. I thought LTA were considered an easier species of anemone to keep but they have kicked my butt, lol. But I love the larger breed of sand dwelling anemone and will do what's necessary to be successful. Let me know any tips and share pics of your LTA if you have one.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 06:53 PM   #2
dmsprague
Registered Member

I have upwards of 40 bubble tips that stay put (in 3 different tanks). I bought LTA online twice and they arrived DOA. I bought on a LTA little over 6 months ago from a LFS. It moved a lot. I tried putting it in PVC, surrounding it with rocks and finally I just gave up and let it cruise around till it settled. Mine finally settled in the opening of a cave that houses a 30" zebra moray and large banded coral shrimp. I know go figure a moray with a shrimp. The shrimp will even pinch the eel in the face if he wants it to move. Anyway the LTA has been there for a couple of months now. I have about 5" of kind of course sand and it has attached to the glass. It's foot is actually in the cave and it just stretches out to get the light it wants. It has grown a lot and the cave is now cramped with the 3 inhabitants. This is where it settled. No too bad, at least it's no behind the rock.

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 11:58 AM   #3
JamesHolt
Registered Member

Never had an issue with them planting down, they just bleach out and die over a few months....
Just moved mine to another tank with different lights, gonna see if he will pull through..

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 03:59 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

I’m no expert but IMO LTAs are tough to care for then BTAs. It’s hard get them happy n stay put in the sand even if u have deep sand bed 4 to 5 inches. I tried the pvc trick as well. But I do have one that somewhat dug itself under a rock n is happy now, had him since spring n eating cut up raw fish that I feed to my btas.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Swayze27
Registered Member

dmsprague, funny, I have about a 30" zebra moray in my tank as well. He's the most laid back thing in the tank, lol. I have a nice little cave area that im gonna try to place the LTA in initially. Should be in tomorrow at LFS, I think its a purple one. Well I guess wish me luck. Its going in my 185. I have a 32 biocube with 3 good size BTA and a decent sized Hadonni lol

Unread 11/15/2018, 08:02 AM   #6
humphreyhh
Registered Member

LTA Keepers???

Mine is in a flowerpot. It has grown since the picture taken. I separated her from clownfish because they are too big for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by humphreyhh; 11/15/2018 at 08:40 AM.
humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Swayze27
Registered Member

So I ended up with two. LFS ordered me one but it came in pretty small golf ball sized but healthy. It’s greenish brown with purple tips. The other i ordered online and it is about the size of a baseball and it has a green disk with green, brown and tan colored tentacles (not certain if that’s the color scheme or some bleaching). They both seem happy at the moment, I’ll try to get some pics uploaded at some point. The small one is at the base of a rock in the sand. The larger one I placed in a cave type hole and pushed sand around his foot. He climbed out of the sand and worked his foot up and wedged the red part in between two rocks inside the cave and has the dotted part of its body stretched out into the open lighted area. Good sign I guess. I guess not all want to be buried in sand, perhaps wedged in the rocks like a BTA would do pleases some.