Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2018, 10:13 AM   #1
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Clowns jumping out

I've looked and didn't seem to find a ton of info on it. I don't have a lid on my tank and last night 1 of the clowns jumped out. We didn't find it until we came in this morning. It shared a tank with 1 other clown and a bicolor blenny. I want to replace the clown, but want to try to do my best to ensure that doesn't happen again.

The clown jumped pretty far, I know he probably flopped around a bit on the ground, but either way he cleared a solid 1.5 feet, because he missed the garbage cans sitting under the tank. Does that make you think he was possibly being chased by someone else in the tank?

Is there a good way to introduce another clown into the tank? Both clowns were pretty young, probably less than 6 months old, so don't think anyone really established dominance, since they both still would nip at each other.

I also would prefer no lid if possible, but will put one on if clowns jumping is a pretty normal thing. Thanks!

xsentrixsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 02:02 PM   #2
ThePurple12
Registered Member

My clowns are in a lidless 30 gallon with a bicolor blenny and a coral beauty angel and they haven't jumped once. Something must've scared or excited it. Just make sure that you get a clown that's smaller than the one you already have

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 08:21 AM   #3
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
My clowns are in a lidless 30 gallon with a bicolor blenny and a coral beauty angel and they haven't jumped once. Something must've scared or excited it. Just make sure that you get a clown that's smaller than the one you already have
Thats what I was thinking. It was afterhours so no one was around to feed it or anything. I'm just trying to figure out what would make him jump. Would the bi color blenny chase him and make him jump?

Unread 11/21/2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post

Exactly, fish don't jump unless they are startled or chased.
Different clowns will not do well together, either will two females.
I have never had a jumper in 25 years

Once they are hosted by a nem, they will always run to it when startled or chased.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 01:36 PM   #5
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Likely the other clown chased it. In order to introduce another one you'd need to add a larger or smaller clown by a considerable difference. I had clowns that jumped the back wall in my tank several times. Thankfully it was an all in one and all I had to do was fish them out of the back, but they cleared the wall with no problems.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 09:02 PM   #6
xsentrixsupra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Exactly, fish don't jump unless they are startled or chased.
Different clowns will not do well together, either will two females.
I have never had a jumper in 25 years

Once they are hosted by a nem, they will always run to it when startled or chased.
They were from the same clutch, they were about the same size. They did always kind of fight. Like spin around in circles really fast as they trip to nip each other. However they never seemed to try to get away from the other. They would always hang out together. I realize this doesn't mean they are friends, but I'm wondering if it was the other clown who did it or the blenny or something else entirely.

Either way, good info guys. I appreciate it! Its a small tank so I don't have a nem in it. Sounds like it would probably be a good idea though. I'm just worried in the nano tank it will get too big and it might not do well with the blenny or corals.

Any nems that don't grow that large?