Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2018, 07:09 PM   #1
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Salifert FLATWORM EXIT

Dear friends

I found some worms in my display tank. And would like to treat with Salifert FLATWORM EXIT.

Salifert said it’s quite safe to fishes and invertebrates. Do you think this product is safe for haddoni?

Thanks

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Mad Marine
Registered Member

Untrue. The flatworm release toxins which harm fish. Even if you (as I did) siphon out as many dead ones as possible, run a load of fresh carbon and do a 50 percent water change the fish still suffer. My clowns eyes swelled up and became cloudy, erratic swimming movement and behaviour. The fishes eyes were okay after about 4/5 days and normal behaviour was resumed. More sensitive fish might not cope as well.

Mad Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks for your info

Unread 11/26/2018, 11:11 AM   #4
D-Nak
Registered Member

It depends how bad the flatworm infestation is. If it's minor is should be fine.

I think people have issues when the infestation is really bad and Flatworm Exit creates a mass die off and the tank gets inundated with toxin. The recommendation is to siphon out as many flatworms as possible PRIOR TO and IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the addition of Flatworm Exit.

It's also good to get a fish that is known to eat flatworms as this can keep the population manageable.

Unread 11/26/2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks so much

Unread 11/26/2018, 07:23 PM   #6
JMetaxas
Registered Member

I've done this to both of my tanks. Both were infested pretty badly. The product works, but not 100%. Some flatworms managed to survive , but most died. I'd love to know why. In both cases I had no problems with fish or corals, including SPS.

A couple hours after treatment I did a 25% water change and treated with Carbon.

One tank I treated twice and still had some live, but I've since added a Six Line Wrasse and it seems to have held them at bay.

Last edited by JMetaxas; 11/26/2018 at 07:47 PM.
JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2018, 07:41 PM   #7
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Some reefers here said, the Flatworm Exit could not flow to the small slots that the flatworms hidden.

Thanks so much for your reply

Unread 11/27/2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

i have had my battle with Flatworm infestation my my gig and had tank. i dose directly to the display tank using DOUBLE dosage, i even dose tripple but i wont risk it if i were you. i treat for a few hours and then do a 30-40% water change to remove the toxin and run the skimmer. i did not lose any carpet but my powder blue tang got burn at the gill and died. also u need to get melanurus wrasse, green wrasse or yellow wrasse to eat the rest as there will ALWAYS be some survive the treatment and those will be eaten by the wrasse. i battle it for a long time and finally have not seen one

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Thanks so much for your sharing