Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2018, 06:37 PM   #1
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Can it survive?

Hello all. Tragedy struck in my tank today and my beloved haddoni carpet ended up in my cross flow pump. I just placed the pump in the tank last night and everything seemed to be happy with it when I got up this morning. However, when I got home from work I found the carpet tentacle side in the pump.

All of my fish and corals, except my elegance, seem un-phased, though the water is a bit cloudy and the skimmer is working overtime. I am preparing some water for a water change and will complete that this evening.

Can the carpet survive its injuries or should I just take it out and have a memorial. It is attached to the rock at the moment, I placed it in the sand where it was before and it climbed the rich a couple of inches. It doesn't look like the foot was damaged, but the disk is torn some on the edges. It has not opened fully, but I can see that the mouth is still tight, and it is very responsive to me touching it.

Please let me know what you think I should do. This nem is the pride of my tank and I am SUPER bummed right now. I expected to see my BTA in a pump some day, not my carpet.

Unread 09/28/2018, 06:40 PM   #2
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Here are a couple of pics

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180928_154942.jpg (35.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20180928_154955.jpg (26.4 KB, 95 views)
Unread 09/28/2018, 06:45 PM   #3
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that! Can you show us a picture? That would be easier. Haddoni is hardy anemone in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2018, 07:06 PM   #4
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Look like the foot is still attach to the bottom. It should be fine barring serious infection. Let's hope for the best.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2018, 10:42 AM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

As long as foot and mouth are not torn it stands a good chance, does not look too bad to me, I've seen worse come back

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2018, 10:53 PM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

I had a gigantea get chewed up by a MP40. It looked rough but pulled through. Yours should be fine. You can even trim off the ripped portion if you like, assuming you don't get too close to the mouth.

Unread 10/01/2018, 01:00 PM   #7
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Thank you all for the encouragement! It is still hanging in there and seems to look better every day. The only concern at this point is that the mouth is gaping some, and I have seen some insides sticking out from time to time, though not constantly. I am still optimistic. It looks like the most damaged tissue has fallen off and the disc is healing nicely where the damage was.

Unread 10/01/2018, 07:19 PM   #8
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsouth1978 View Post
Thank you all for the encouragement! It is still hanging in there and seems to look better every day. The only concern at this point is that the mouth is gaping some, and I have seen some insides sticking out from time to time, though not constantly. I am still optimistic. It looks like the most damaged tissue has fallen off and the disc is healing nicely where the damage was.

That’s nice to hear! Keep us updated!

Unread 10/02/2018, 12:24 PM   #9
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

While feeding the tank this morning, i decided to see how the carpet would take to a small piece of shrimp. The good new is that it is still VERY sticky and grabbed right onto the shrimp. 10 minutes later there was no shrimp in sight. The nem still has a great feeding response, though it's color is still pretty subdued and it's mouth is slightly open most of the time. Still, it looks like it is going to pull through.

Unread 10/29/2018, 01:02 PM   #10
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

UGH!!!

It happened again!!!

This carpet seems determined to commit suicide. After the last run in with the crossflow pump, I removed it and the nem has been recovering nicely, coloring up, regaining it's round shape, eating, etc. Then this morning I came downstairs to find it stuck to one of my Jebao OW-10 powerheads. I tried to gently remove it from the powrehead, but it is stuck pretty good. I needed to leave for work, so had no choice but to leave it as it was. I turned off the powerhead and came to work. Hopefully it is ok when I get home tonight.

I love this carpet, but this is crazy! I expected my BTA would get stuck in the powerheads, not the carpet.

Unread 10/29/2018, 01:04 PM   #11
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Oh no. I always cover my powerhead with a mesh net. I lost one bta to it long time ago. Hope it will recover. Wait for update.

Unread 10/29/2018, 01:30 PM   #12
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Oh no. I always cover my powerhead with a mesh net. I lost one bta to it long time ago. Hope it will recover. Wait for update.

Do you just use something like a fishnet and then zip tie the netting to the pump? I need to do something, but don't want to restrict the flow either.

Unread 10/29/2018, 01:52 PM   #13
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
UGH!!!

It happened again!!!

This carpet seems determined to commit suicide. After the last run in with the crossflow pump, I removed it and the nem has been recovering nicely, coloring up, regaining it's round shape, eating, etc. Then this morning I came downstairs to find it stuck to one of my Jebao OW-10 powerheads. I tried to gently remove it from the powrehead, but it is stuck pretty good. I needed to leave for work, so had no choice but to leave it as it was. I turned off the powerhead and came to work. Hopefully it is ok when I get home tonight.

I love this carpet, but this is crazy! I expected my BTA would get stuck in the powerheads, not the carpet.
The same thing happened to by BTA and it healed pretty quickly

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 01:55 PM   #14
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you just use something like a fishnet and then zip tie the netting to the pump? I need to do something, but don't want to restrict the flow either.

As long as the holes are not too small or large it should work. its funny cause I just cut a part of the neck of the plastic net-bag that holds the filter media in the filter. I don’t even tie it with anything. The intake flow sucks it on the powerhead very tight.

Sometimes it catch algae on it. When it gets too much algae on the net it does slow the flow a little. I take the net out every week to clean it. It worked for me. It’s actually good for the powerhead too. I don’t want the algae to stuck in it.

Depends on what powerhead you have. You surely can find something that suits your situation better.

Unread 10/29/2018, 07:34 PM   #15
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Interesting! Once yes, twice???!!
He seems to be moving a lot towards a flow device.
Maybe to much flow?
I thought carpets like very gentle flow.....should he not stay stuck?

Last edited by Uncle99; 10/29/2018 at 07:41 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2018, 10:58 PM   #16
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Interesting! Once yes, twice???!!
He seems to be moving a lot towards a flow device.
Maybe to much flow?
I thought carpets like very gentle flow.....should he not stay stuck?
This is also what I thought. It has been in a back corner, where there is very little flow, since the first run in. It seemed quite happy and had its foot buried deeply in the sand. The flow has not changed at all since then so I am not sure this move was flow related. The only thing I can think is that this was in response to a lighting change. I am preparing for a move and an upgrade, so I took the Hydra 26's off the tank and placed some PAR 38 bulbs over it until the move. Its corner of the tank was not very well lit by the new bulbs, so it may have been moving to find more light. I will be placing some additional light over it to try and make it happy. Luckily I have a Seney, so I can get PAR readings quite easily.

Unread 10/31/2018, 11:39 AM   #17
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Oh yes, a change in light, that could get him to go for a stroll.
Ya, if he's stuck and not falling apart, keep him.
Long time ago, had one get sucked right up an HOB.....thought for sure....he's dead...
After hours of getting him out of the tube, he stayed in one piece....and over months....recovered.....but always stuck.

Good luck...

Unread 10/31/2018, 12:19 PM   #18
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Oh yes, a change in light, that could get him to go for a stroll.
Ya, if he's stuck and not falling apart, keep him.
Long time ago, had one get sucked right up an HOB.....thought for sure....he's dead...
After hours of getting him out of the tube, he stayed in one piece....and over months....recovered.....but always stuck.

Good luck...
He seems to be quite good this time. When I got home from work, he had removed himself from the powerhead and had his food buried deep in the sand below a rock. It took a small peice of shrimp last night and has his disc open nicely, You would not even know that he had just been stuck in a powerhead. The only issue right now is that his color is very muted. It seems that he has only a small amount of color, not bleached, but not a lot of color either.

Unread 10/31/2018, 05:16 PM   #19
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

That's great news!
If he survived the initial and secondary encounter, he will bounce back.
Let's hope he stays put.
All the best...

Unread 11/13/2018, 07:48 PM   #20
Swayze27
Registered Member

Cover those powerheads with plastic mesh trimmed to fit and some zip ties!!! Or just plop a blender in the tank and hope for the best, lol

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump
Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 10:36 PM   #21
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I have finally worked out a fix that I hope will end the attempted suicide by my haddoni. I have had no success in getting some sort of mesh to put on the wave makers, so about a week ago I ordered a SCWD in hopes or\f removing the wave makers entirely. A couple of days after I placed the order the Haddoni decided to venture into a wave maker for a third time. Luckily no harm was done at all, but I was still VERY annoyed. After this incident, I decided to turn off the wave maker closest to the anemone permanently.

Today I received the SCWD and redid the return plumbing in order to accommodate the new addition. It only took about 30 minutes to complete the rework of the plumbing. So far things seem to be working well. I removed all of the rigid PVC from the returns and switched to Black Vinyl tubing. Then to make up for the lost flow from removing the wave makers, I cranked the return pump, a Jebao DCP-8000 to 100%. The SCWD is now switching returns approximately every 4.5 seconds. This is not my ideal setup, but for the moment it seems to be doing well. We will see how it goes over the next few days. At least there is no more risk to the anemones.