Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 08:28 PM   #1
AD87
Registered Member

Let’s see them Onyx Clowns

Been searching for a pair forever! Let’s see some pics...

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 12:49 AM   #2
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Onyx clowns don’t it for me anymore unless they’re WC...I got spoiled with the pairs I had. Once you experience perfection, it’s hard to settle for anything else. That’s not to say there aren’t some nice tank raised ones out there.

Here's another pair I had. This one is tank raised from ORA. Notice the female Onyx has pretty good looking pelvic fins that closely resemble WC clowns. Pretty much 99% of CB clowns have shorter pelvic and dorsal fins at a minimum.

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 11/09/2018 at 01:11 AM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 09:54 AM   #3
AD87
Registered Member

Great videos! I agree the wild caught are perfect

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 12:03 PM   #4
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Onyx clowns don’t it for me anymore unless they’re WC...I got spoiled with the pairs I had. Once you experience perfection, it’s hard to settle for anything else. That’s not to say there aren’t some nice tank raised ones out there.

Here's another pair I had. This one is tank raised from ORA. Notice the female Onyx has pretty good looking pelvic fins that closely resemble WC clowns. Pretty much 99% of CB clowns have shorter pelvic and dorsal fins at a minimum.

Great pairs! I have been looking for a pair of picassos or onyx and pretty much all of the captive bred ones I have come across have some sort of grotesque deformity whether it be pinched head, underdeveloped pelvic and dorsal fins or some other sort of deformity.

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 09:48 AM   #5
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Great pairs! I have been looking for a pair of picassos or onyx and pretty much all of the captive bred ones I have come across have some sort of grotesque deformity whether it be pinched head, underdeveloped pelvic and dorsal fins or some other sort of deformity.
It is possible to get perfect captive raised ones... but most breeders are less requiring of their fish than Mother Nature is of hers. In the wild you probably have 999 in 1000 getting culled before they ever make it into an anemone - if not more. So only the biggest, strongest, fastest and luckiest are around to be caught later.

If you have ever been diving on a reef, you know what I'm talking about. You so rarely see fish with aberrations - because if it is significant enough to impact their ability to feed or swim, they are done.

The other thing that many beginner breeders don't understand is that a large percentage of their visible deformities come from physical damage - particularly pug nose, broken jaw, bent spine, himped back. There is a reason why commercial breeders use huge circular larval grow-out tanks, with circular water flow, center lighting and bubblers on the tank walls. They are trying to keep the larvae from impacting the walls. In the wild, the larvae are photo positive and swim upwards towards the light, and they spend their first week of life as pelagics without encountering anything solid. Their feeding behavior, where they coil and spring forward, can cause serious damage if they spring forward directly into a solid glass wall.

We had talked for years about the need to remove culls from the breeding pool in order to maintain healthy breeding stock. Now most would-be breeders pick stock based on pattern or color - with health being a distant consideration.

This will only change when we institute breeding competitions - similar to what they do for bettas and koi. Most of these clowns would be turned away at the door as not meeting the minimum standards to compete.

Unread 12/05/2018, 05:44 PM   #6
Planetmacro
Registered Member

I have a very well fed angler. His main food is non perfect baby clowns.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote