Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2018, 07:41 PM   #1
MrGuy
Registered Member

Giant Green Anemone

I was visiting the New England Aquarium today and came across a reef tank full of huge bubble tips, long tentacle, and carpet anemones as well as many "Giant Green Anemones"...which really stood out- they are gorgeous, and I was stumped as to why I'd never seen them before.

At home I looked them up and found that they are not only very, very rare to find for sale, but they are a cold water anemone preferring temps between 50s to 60s F.

So my question is this- how could they have been kept in a tank housing warm water inverts? I didn't find anyone to ask at the time.

Do any of you have these anemones, or know if they can thrive in warmer water? I don't believe I could ever find one, they are probably banned form import anyway.

MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 10:03 AM   #2
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Without a pic, it's almost impossible to know what species you are talking about.

Unread 11/29/2018, 01:20 PM   #3
mnchartier
Registered Member

I'll have to go through my pictures when I get home and see if I can find the tank you are talking about

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 05:50 PM   #4
dmsprague
Registered Member

These?
https://www.travelgumbo.com/clip/new...-green-anenome

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2018, 09:16 PM   #5
mnchartier
Registered Member

@MrGuy is this the tank you are talking about? It's an older pic from Aug 2016 that I took so it may have changed a little since

Unread 11/30/2018, 01:56 AM   #6
D-Nak
Registered Member

If that’s the tank, those are all cold water nems.

Unread 12/05/2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Planetmacro
Registered Member

You are correct D-Nak. That's a cold water aquarium.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:10 PM   #8
mnchartier
Registered Member

Yes that tank is, but still waiting to hear from the OP if that is the tank he/she is talking about. Like I mentioned I took that pic back in 2016 so it may have changed or he could be talking about another tank all together as a I haven't been back since

Unread 09/08/2019, 09:24 PM   #9
MrGuy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchartier View Post
Yes that tank is, but still waiting to hear from the OP if that is the tank he/she is talking about. Like I mentioned I took that pic back in 2016 so it may have changed or he could be talking about another tank all together as a I haven't been back since
I'm so sorry it took a year!!! to respond to this post... For some reason or another I never saw a reply and didn't check back on it. I hope you guys are still around. As for the tank, I can only assume this is the same tank since it was a year ago- but they seem like the same green anemones. I don't recall that it was a cold water tank, but I do remember that it was from the pacific.

MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote