Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

1 Year Anniversary!! 180g ClownFish Harem

53 Clownfish (Lost 2.. 1 at acclimation and 1 jumper 1 month ago)

40+ Bta's : Quad Color, Rose, Rainbow, Ultra Green and Ultra Watermelon. Had issue with some wild vs demositic BTA's.

2x a day auto feeding

14" x 8" alge scrubber + 150 Int Reef octupos skimmer

3 black box LED's

Tank #1: 180g "in the wall" ClownFish Harem Tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g In the wall build
Zagzoo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 02:23 PM   #2
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Now that's busy!
Very very nice!
Must be Chaos at feeding time....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 05:29 PM   #4
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Beautiful! Do they fight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hardly any fighting.. they are spread out enough and all the bta's. Alot of shaking going on and it's over.

Unread 11/19/2018, 06:35 AM   #6
Tanthaitrung
Registered Member

Very nice!

Could you post your algae turf scrubber?

Tanthaitrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2018, 11:21 AM   #7
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphreyhh View Post
Just saying that there are some pretty deformed / weak fish in this lot. I don't know where you got them or who sold them to you, but I am seeing a lot of fish I personally would have culled. Probably one of the reasons why there isn't a lot of fighting is some appear to be having trouble just swimming.

I am not trying to make you feel bad... I just want to make sure people understand the difference between a tank of weak captive-raised fish, and wild caught adults. More often than not people see threads like this, go out to the store to try to replicate it with some wild-caught fish, and... let the fireworks begin!

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:22 AM   #8
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiNut View Post
Just saying that there are some pretty deformed / weak fish in this lot. I don't know where you got them or who sold them to you, but I am seeing a lot of fish I personally would have culled. Probably one of the reasons why there isn't a lot of fighting is some appear to be having trouble just swimming.

I am not trying to make you feel bad... I just want to make sure people understand the difference between a tank of weak captive-raised juvenile fish, and wild caught adults. More often than not people see threads like this, go out to the store to try to replicate it with some wild-caught fish, and... let the fireworks begin!

Unread 11/19/2018, 05:35 PM   #9
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

All the clowns were captive bred, all groups were from the same clutch as well (from a rep breeder). So yes they all do swim fine.. watch my other youtube channel for other videos.. thanks for your concern.

Unread 11/19/2018, 06:53 PM   #10
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagzoo71 View Post
So yes they all do swim fine.. watch my other youtube channel for other videos.. thanks for your concern.
What does being from the same clutch have to do with whether or not they are deformed? Bulldog noses, broken jaws, concave gill covers, asymmetrical fins, humped backs - all examples of fish that should have been culled.

Survival of clownfish in the wild is less than 1 in 1,000 to the point that they metamorphose and settle into an anemone. Then they have to wait for the chance to move up the pecking order until maybe they get a chance to spawn and pass on their genetic material. Only the best - the strongest and the healthiest - make it. That is why wild caught fish are big and healthy - because if they had a weakness they would have been dead long ago.

A good fish breeder is someone who breeds to a wild holotype - i.e. they act as Mother Nature and cull fish that show noticeable abnormalities or weaknesses. However there are many bad breeders out there that feel any fish that floats is a good fish and worth money. They are the puppy mills of the aquarium business. No culling = bad fish. It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to breed good fish 100% of the time.

A sign of a GREAT breeder is someone who gets less than 10% culls. If you are a beginner, or if you are breeding siblings, it is not unusual to get 80% culls. A good breeder can tell at a glance whether or not you have good fish - it isn't hard.

Unread 12/05/2018, 08:45 PM   #11
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Sorry, but that is just about the most unnatural setup I've seen. All the clowns are deformed. Some grossly deformed. In nature you don't find 50 plus clownfish of any species living so densely pact. A nice display is a natural looking mature pair and possibly one or two juveniles in the correct anemone for the species. Some of us are true aquarist and others have no clue.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Planetmacro
Registered Member

And a "harem" is one male with many females, like centropyge species. Harem does not apply to Amphiprion of Premnas.

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 10:25 PM   #13
dochoot
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing!

dochoot is offline   Reply With Quote