profanity removed, aquariums,saltwater,fish,corals,discussion,message board,aquarium lighting,reefs,reef aquarium,marine,LPS corals,SPS corals,soft corals,large polyped stony,small polyped stony,blenny,damsels,clownfish,mandarinfish,goby,tangs,gorgonians,colt corals,acropora,leather,brain,aquarium filtration, berlin method, live sand, live rock, fluorescent lighting, metal halide lighting,VHO lighting,kalkwasser,top-off systems,protein skimmers,sumps,powerheads,wavemakers,Pinpoint monitors,PH monitors,salinity meters,bubble,galaxy,clams,hermit crabs, snails,shrimp,trumpet,scooter blenny,feather duster,worms,bristleworms,algae,calcium,supplements,aquarium supplements,iodine,fish food,reef aquariums,reefkeeping,saltwater aquariums,MH lighting,Lobophyllia,Wellsophyllia,Trachyphyllia,favia,Euphyllia,Plerogyra,Galaxea,Fungia,Caulastrea,Turbinaria,Seriatopora,Porites,Sarcophyton,Sinularia,Cladiella,Dendronephthya,Nepthea,Capnella,Zooanthus,Clavularia,Parazoanthus,Erythropodium,Pseudopterogorgia,Discosomoa,anemone,coral reef,marine fish,saltwater fish,reef tank,underwater photography" /> profanity removed Anemones & Clownfish" /> My anemone looks like <font size="1" color="#0000FF">profanity removed</font> - Reef Central Online Community
Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2018, 08:28 PM   #1
bsmurray
Registered Member

My anemone looks like profanity removed

Can’t give you parameters as I don’t have a test kit, tank is 7 months old, corals and fish are thriving, my anemone has white strings cranking from the outside and the tentacles look like nubs. It is open and inflated in the morning before the lights come on then I go to work and come home to it always shriveled and weak looking.

Salinity is at 1.023.
50 gal reef
10 gal sump
I run carbon/ skimmer/ refuge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sugar Magnolia; 12/05/2018 at 11:45 AM.
bsmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 08:29 PM   #2
bsmurray
Registered Member

Hanging not cranking

Unread 12/03/2018, 08:52 PM   #3
sde1500
Registered Member

Can’t be much help if you can’t even test the water. For things like anemone it’s pretty much required.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2018, 09:05 PM   #4
bsmurray
Registered Member

Can you tell me based on what it looks like?

Unread 12/03/2018, 10:22 PM   #5
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

All we can tell you by looking at a picture is that it is an unhappy anemone. There is no way we can know why without a full rundown of the tank and parameters. It is basically like me posting a picture of someone and saying "what is wrong with this person, sometimes they seem ok, but other times they seem sick. What is causing it?" There really are a TON of possible answers in both cases. Let me lay out a few possibilities for you:

- Too much/little light
- pH too high/low
- Ammonia present
- Nitrite Present
- Nitrates too high
- Calcium to high/low
- Alk to high/low
- Too much/little flow
- Not enough sand to bury foot
- not enough rock to attach to
- parameters not stable
- and so on

There are simply too many possible causes to be of ANY help without MUCH more info.

Unread 12/04/2018, 10:24 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

It's the changes in water chemistry that most PO the nem.
If you can't test, I am not sure how you can maintain stability.
Stability is the key for success especially for Nems.....

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 09:21 AM   #7
squid row
Registered Member

Mine looked the same way. Tested water parameters, also brought to LFS for them to test.

All were "perfect"

Anemone moved around every day. Hid under rocks, got on sides of rocks.. never really found the place he liked.

I tried to spot feed him didn't eat.

I think it starved to death or is close to it... can't find him lately. Last time I saw him he was attached to a hermit crab and moving around the tank with him

squid row is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 03:39 AM   #8
laverda
Registered Member

If you don’t have test kits, you should not be keeping a reef tank. There are just to many variables than can go wrong. Without this basic information it is impossible to really help you. Clearly your anemone is not doing well. How long have you had it?

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 07:32 AM   #9
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmurray View Post
Can you tell me based on what it looks like?

It’s likely dying. I try not to be very blunt most times, but seriously. If you don’t want to even put in the effort to test the water then why bother? These are living beings you’re caring for. We can’t help you if you won’t help yourself and them. Testing isn’t even going the extra mile, it’s just doing what you should. A 7 month old tank isn’t the tank you can get away with not testing on. Even if you were trying that, now that something is telling you there is a problem, first thing you do is test the water.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote