Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 08:39 PM   #1
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Pair of clowns in a 30g?

I have a 30g reef in my home office and have been thinking of relocating the bicolor blenny and orchid dottyback (only fish) into my main 75g reef and doing something different with the 30. I would like to do a RBTA and pair of clowns. I don’t want ocellaris or percula. I have had a single oclellaris in my main tank for over 20 years. So I don’t want ocellaris in the 30g. I want a different, but natural look. I don’t like the designer fish.

I would like to have a spawning pair eventually, maybe try to raise some fry in my collection of 10-20g tanks in the basement.

Would 30g be too small for a pair of Cinnamons or Clarkii? LA lists 30g as the minimum size for these, but since they get 4-5”, would that be tight for spawning. The clownfish book by Joyce Wilkes says they should have 40 for spawning. I like the looks of these 2 the best.

I’m willing to consider saddleback or two stripe too, but I am am not a big fan of the skunks.

They list Maroons for 30g too, but it sounds like they are the type most likely to turn on their mate, so I think the tank size would be more of an issue.

The tank has live rock and junk corals - frags of frogspawn, leathers, Alan’s from my other tank. I could certainly pull out some of that to allow more swimming space.

Any advice is welcome.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 12:01 AM   #2
Polyp Addict
Registered Member

I think a 30g would be fine for them, as long as it is just those two pairs. That will avoid any conflicts with any other clowns in the tank for territory and space.

Polyp Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Actually just one pair. Leaning toward the Cinnamon. The clownfish book says they would need 40 g to spawn. I have found that most critters don’t read the books on how they are supposed to behave though.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote