Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 07:13 PM   #1
techdef
Registered Member

Sump connected to house drain line?

Hey all - my current setup is in an unused bathroom - 125g tank on a platform built over the tub. Sump is sitting on the tub bottom. When I do a waterchange I pull the hose coming into sump and simply let it drain down the bathtub drain while I pump new water into the tank. It’s so damn easy I’m getting spoiled.

Starting to plan a new system for moving later this year and could maybe do something similar? Wondering if anyone’s got a great setup idea or two to help automate water changes and have less of it in Rubbermaid’s and on the floor...

Thanks

techdef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Lsufan
Registered Member

Sure u can connect it to your house waste lines, but if u do make sure u have a ptrap between the sump & where it ties into your house plumbing. P traps are to keep the sewer gasses out of your house. U would also need to make sure it is vented properly. If it isn’t vented properly it can have issues draining, but more importantly it can syphon the water out of the ptrap & allow the gasses into the house if the sump end is not submerged at all times.

Last edited by Lsufan; 01/17/2018 at 12:21 AM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 05:58 PM   #3
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

My sump is about 10ft from a slop sink in my basement. What I did was ran plumbing from the area of my sump, along the wall, and then have it drain into the sink. At the the end near my sump, I have a barbed fitting where I can connect some vinyl tubing to a maxi-jet and pump it straight down the drain. Works like a charm. I never thought of tapping into the main drain, which is 2 ft from the sink, though I was trying to eliminate "permanent" modifications to the house.

EDIT: I have thought about redoing my return pump plumbing and T'ing off to that pipe that leads to the sink, but I figured I'd leave it as an "upgrade for the next tank" hahah

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 07:12 PM   #4
dt204
Registered Member

If you can have a sump room, fish closet, or Basement sump, you'll be smiling

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dt204 is offline   Reply With Quote