Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 07:20 AM   #3376
Subsea
Registered Member

Enjoying the read.

My vegetable garden has me occupied. All of my systems must run on minimum maintenance during Spring garden.

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout

Last edited by Subsea; 04/21/2018 at 08:04 AM.
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 11:40 AM   #3377
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hooray!

Today is the day I commit. I'm going to transfer what I'm keeping to the the HT. This should lead me down the path to draining the tank, allowing me to do the system changes I want to do. It's going to get ugly, before it gets pretty…

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 01:23 PM   #3378
vlangel
Registered Member

Ha! I know how hard it is to take that very first step. Once you start you will be ok.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 08:15 PM   #3379
Subsea
Registered Member

Banja

Current Tank Info: 10,000G. Greenhouse Macro Growout
Subsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 06:10 PM   #3380
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Hooray!

Today is the day I commit. I'm going to transfer what I'm keeping to the the HT. This should lead me down the path to draining the tank, allowing me to do the system changes I want to do. It's going to get ugly, before it gets pretty…
Honestly, making the decision to rebuild is probably the hardest part. After that it becomes cathartic and the more you get torn down, the better you feel. Once the rebuild begins, it's all excitement. That's how it hits me anyway.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:23 AM   #3381
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Good luck with the transfer of everything to the HT. Just let me know when to start popping the popcorn!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 07:16 AM   #3382
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I got pretty much everything transferred to HT, that I wanted. I haven't yet drained the tank though. I want to make sure I've done everything I need to do with water still in it first. But progress has been made…

Unread 04/23/2018, 05:04 PM   #3383
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I got pretty much everything transferred to HT, that I wanted. I haven't yet drained the tank though. I want to make sure I've done everything I need to do with water still in it first. But progress has been made…
Way to go! And I think you are wise to let the dust settle and give the tank another look before draining it.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 05:21 PM   #3384
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn! That's it exactly. As tempting as it is to drain it, I want to keep my options open for a little while longer. Draining is the next step though! Luckily, I saved my 'black out' paper from my dinoflagellate outbreak. I'll use it to hide the hideousness inside, between work sessions.

Unread 05/08/2018, 06:46 PM   #3385
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Not much to update. I've been working on some honey-dos around the house. I'm hoping to get something done this weekend, like get the tank drained. If I get that done, I'll be free to do any of several things I need to do.

Despite the lack of action, I'm still quite excited to do this re-do! I have acquired a few new plants that I've been trying to get for a long time, so I'm happy about that. I've also been researching potential fish residents. Without the biotope restrictions, I'm finding the selection much more open. However, I'm still restricted by my insistence to avoid fish that may negatively impact my ecosystem. For example, I was very interested in Allen's Damsel, which is gorgeous and relatively un-aggressive. But researching it revealed it to be a digger/worm eater. Bummer! I have found several fish that I think will do just fine though.

So hang in there folks! I promise to get this going again soon!

Unread 05/09/2018, 06:33 AM   #3386
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I'm looking forward to future updates for sure, but I'll be patient Are you going to start a new thread? At what point would you do that?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 05/09/2018, 08:27 AM   #3387
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think I've decided to start a new thread, once I empty it and start the changes. It's at that point that I think it starts being a new tank. Sort of…

Unread 05/11/2018, 06:20 AM   #3388
eastlake
Registered Member

Allen's damsels are great, but yes, they are indeed diggers. Though I've only found that behavior to be true to males that are preparing a nest for females, when present. My male didn't start to dig until he and the female reached maturity, at which point he made mounds and pits and piles until he excavated some long buried clam shells which have become their nest, now his digging behavior is just routine clearing some sand away from his shells. Super fun to watch their breeding/courting behavior and the only time that either of them, the male, get ornery is when there are eggs under the shell. I can't speak to the worm eating behavior as both of mine eat flakes and frozen with gusto and I rarely see them hunting about the rocks. Good luck with the re-build, I can't wait to see what the next set up looks like! Perhaps a harem of Cuban gramma should they become more regularly available a reasonable price

eastlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 07:42 AM   #3389
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, eastlake for the info. Good to know. They're gorgeous fish.

The next setup shouldn't be too different, unless I decide to make huge changes, but I don't plan to. The changes will be subtle, mostly to fix a few things that were bugging me. And I'll hopefully have a more informed selection of plants that should grow a little less jungle-y and a little more garden-y. Nothing too orderly but maybe a bit more controlled.

Unread 05/20/2018, 05:18 PM   #3390
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Progress at last. Tank is drained and most of the sand is out too. Really hideous! My sand/mud substrate looked good. I intend to bring up the dirt percentage next time, for the grasses.

I've been thinking about water movement. With seagrasses and macros, you can really feature water movement. I've been looking at Tunze's wave boxes. I saw one in operation at my LFS and I was impressed. It really resembles the back and forth you see in nature.

Unread 05/21/2018, 06:31 AM   #3391
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
I've been thinking about water movement. With seagrasses and macros, you can really feature water movement. I've been looking at Tunze's wave boxes. I saw one in operation at my LFS and I was impressed. It really resembles the back and forth you see in nature.
So I guess you'll be making some videos too? The eye candy is great, but now there is motion involved I was thinking about what your tank might look like with that back and forth movement, like a slice of nature of a mangrove backwater full of life and tidal movement. I can't wait!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/21/2018, 06:32 AM   #3392
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Progress at last. Tank is drained and most of the sand is out too. Really hideous! My sand/mud substrate looked good. I intend to bring up the dirt percentage next time, for the grasses.

The wave boxes are pretty cool... but they are an eyesore. If you can modify your false wall, you may be able to hide it. Then you'd have all the flow you needed.

Unread 05/21/2018, 08:40 AM   #3393
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Kevin. I think it would work well and look very natural too!

Agreed McPuff. I'm working on figuring out how to integrate it with the planned fake wall addition to the left end of the tank. The smaller one looks like it would work fairly easily.

Unread 05/21/2018, 04:20 PM   #3394
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I bagged up the old sand, for another day. I won't be using it for the re-do. I'll use new sand. I've been thinking about what I'd change with the sand-scape. Since I wasn't really all that happy with the plants that grew on the rock surface of the DSB planter, I'm considering burying it basically, so that most of it is hidden. It would still provide needed structure to keep the sand from flattening to one depth. I love what the planter gives me, but it's a bit obtrusive. I want the substrate to look more natural, but also be dynamic and cool-looking.

This sounds like discussion for the new iteration of the tank. Time for the new thread then?

Unread 05/22/2018, 06:54 AM   #3395
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
I bagged up the old sand, for another day. I won't be using it for the re-do. I'll use new sand. I've been thinking about what I'd change with the sand-scape. Since I wasn't really all that happy with the plants that grew on the rock surface of the DSB planter, I'm considering burying it basically, so that most of it is hidden. It would still provide needed structure to keep the sand from flattening to one depth. I love what the planter gives me, but it's a bit obtrusive. I want the substrate to look more natural, but also be dynamic and cool-looking.

This sounds like discussion for the new iteration of the tank. Time for the new thread then?
Yup, sounds like a new build to me! Link it in here too.

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:53 AM   #3396
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I like that approach Michael, basically tweeking a great concept to make it greater!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 06/12/2018, 06:31 AM   #3397
Chasmodes
Registered Member

How are things going with your tank, Michael? Inquiring minds want to know...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 06/12/2018, 07:00 AM   #3398
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Slowly! Check out my new thread, "Weeds".

Unread 06/12/2018, 07:22 AM   #3399
Chasmodes
Registered Member

OK, will do. I overlooked it...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 06/12/2018, 07:28 AM   #3400
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I should have posted on here about it. My bad.

Everyone, I have started a new thread, here in the macro section, called "Weeds".

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass