Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: why do you do it
Living-Art: It allows me to be creative. 19 40.43%
Pet: I like animals and just another member of the family. 14 29.79%
Science Experiment: I enjoy the bio-chemistry and technical aspects. 15 31.91%
Life-escape: I use it as an excuse to "get-away" from life, marriage, kids 17 36.17%
Competition: My friends/colleagues have one, but I want to outduel them on whose is better. 0 0%
Professional: Marine biologist, store owner....I make a living off this. 0 0%
Nemo/Dory: My kids saw the movie, now I am stuck with doing this. 1 2.13%
Retired/Bored: I have plenty of time on my hands and its better than playing cards, bingo, golf. 4 8.51%
Control Factor: This is my "world" and I can do what I want to it. 5 10.64%
Other 5 10.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2018, 09:23 AM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

why do you do it...for the kids, living art, science experiment...?

Admittedly, I got into this hobby because I liked the vibrant yellow color of the Yellow Tang and I thought that it would look "cool" in my living room. For me, my tank is a piece of "living art" -- it is the first thing people see when they walk into my living room and has made a good conversation topic. Its allowed me to create my own little world and feels like good when I see signs of new life. Because I work at home, I am also looking at it quite often so I want it to look good.

I am not being critical of others, but can't imagine putting this in my basement with all kinds of hoses, wires going all over the place (looking like a fire-trap waiting to happen). I know marriage/kids changes a man's life where he has to put his toys "out-of-the-way". (I am not married for this reason)....one little stain of water on her precious carpet could make her go ballistic that is not worth the argument. Then there are kids whose curiosity generally leads to things breaking (also why I have no children), etc. etc.

So, what makes you want to do it?

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 09:28 AM   #2
homer1475
Registered Member

Love the science behind it. The fish and corals are a nice bonus.

My tank is in my living room where I can see it, its a piece of living furniture. But my wife likes the tank also so she puts up with the eventual water on the carpet, occasional spill, taking over the sink to clean the ATS, etc, etc.

I can't imagine hiding my tank in the basement where only I can see it.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 10:06 AM   #3
PitViper
Registered Member

I did not for my kids. My son was kept asking if we could have one since we had the tank just sitting around. So I bit the bullet so to speak and now 2-3 months later my kids still love it my wife is hooked and I’m screwed because I want bigger. But my kids really love it. My daughter helps me feed the fish and change the water. So all around we all enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 02:03 PM   #4
phenom5
Unregistered Member

I love the ocean.
I live in Arizona.
I can't afford to travel to the ocean every weekend.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 10:11 PM   #5
FaithKlim
Registered Member

It's my life escape. My parents recently passed away, and this hobby allows to to escape into hours of endless research, tank watching, trips to LFS etc.
I've been wanting to set up a mixed reef tank for years. This family situation made me realize there's no better time for me than right now. The tank brings me much needed joy...

FaithKlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:05 AM   #6
Gorgok
Registered Member

Seemed like a good idea at the time. vOv

I also really like making things, new things, whenever possible. I've made quite a few things because of the tank... Any excuse to make things is good.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:27 AM   #7
cincyjim
Registered Member

The wife wanted a saltwater tank so you know the deal. I love the challenge of keeping the environment for saltwater as well. That said... it is my serenity!!!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:47 AM   #8
64Ivy
B'rer Reefer

Selected both 'escape' and 'bored' options. But there's also the 'challenge' factor which may outweigh them both. Depends on whether or not I had my coffee.

ToTM 3-03

Current Tank Info: Between tanks. Searching for a home
64Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 05:58 AM   #9
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64ivy View Post
selected both 'escape' and 'bored' options. But there's also the 'challenge' factor which may outweigh them both. Depends on whether or not i had my coffee.
+1

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:16 AM   #10
top shelf
Registered Member

My love of fish started at a very young age and is one of my earliest memories. My grandmother started me a goldfish tank when I was about 4 or 5 and was something we did together, unfortunately she passed away a few years later but it's something that has always stuck with me. A reef tank has just been the natural progression of that. I fell in love with the ocean and all it's beautiful colors and like someone else said can't afford to go to the ocean all the time so next best thing. Plus I enjoy the challenge.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:21 AM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Fish make far less mess than a unicorn... So naturally I went with fish..

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:28 PM   #12
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I can't imagine hiding my tank in the basement where only I can see it.

See I am semi the opposite. I actually Like that my tank is in my man cave where really only I venture. My wife will pass it and my daughter comes down to play with me or help on the tank constantly so we still share it but for the most part it is my escape.

If the work day was super stressful I can retreat to my basement and work on the tank or just sit and watch it. It is also in view of my backyard patio set so I can sit out with a cigar in the twilight and watch the tank through my sliding glass door.

As for why I started it I wanted the challenge. I had done high end planted tanks already and helped my dad with his FOWLR. I just wanted to tinker with new things so got into a reef.

It goes through periods of time where I question shutting it down and periods where I spend every free moment working or staring at it.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:20 PM   #13
d2mini
Registered Member

Because I enjoy it. There is no one reason that explains that.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 06:28 PM   #14
Fredfish
Registered Member

The science, the art, the escape. That sort of covers it.

This is the closest I can come to creating an ecosystem in my livingroom. There is a beauty to the way things interact and change over time.

My kids, on the other hand, just loved giving fish names like Bannana Bob and Fang.

Unread 04/23/2018, 07:02 PM   #15
NO3
In Memoriam

Other

I teach them the Art and Science of...

Laundry,
Cleaning the house and
Cuttting the grass

....so theyre not lost-brats acting like babies when they go to college

LOL

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 01:42 PM   #16
alton
Registered Member

I like spending my kid’s inheritance? I had aquariums as a kid, and now I am a big kid with more money. I love spending time with my fish and corals, better than sitting next to the wife on the couch watching TV every night. Man I am getting cranky in my old age! And I am glad she doesn't know about my fish websites.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 02:03 PM   #17
Hitch08
Registered Member

Cause mcgyvr told me that there are tons of reef tank groupies.

Unread 04/24/2018, 04:32 PM   #18
mrsixstrings12
Registered Member

Definitely science aspect. I was majoring in biology, hoping to transfer somewhere specifically for marine biology, but college wasn't for me. Ended up with a saltwater tank to scratch the itch, so to say.

mrsixstrings12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 05:50 PM   #19
Chicagoreef2016
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Because I enjoy it. There is no one reason that explains that.
This...

Unread 04/24/2018, 06:21 PM   #20
Misled
RC Mod

Back in the mid 80's, I had a 120 FOWBOCH, (fish only with bleached out coral heads). I met a guy working at my LFS that was going to marine biology school. He came by and ran a diatom filter on my tank and checked things out every once and a while. Things were starting out here around that time. Live rock started coming in and soft and lps corals were beginning to show up. I dove in head first. We didn't have much info to work with, but things progressed pretty quickly. Somewhere in the middle, I dropped out for a couple years, but just couldn't go without a reef in my living room.

The guy at the LFS was Anthony Calfo. It's his fault. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Unread 04/25/2018, 10:27 AM   #21
travis32
Registered Member

This is a great question, as I'm in the process of starting my largest creation ever. A cusotm 330 gallon reef aquarium with bean animal overflow, and a way to quickly do water changes and much much more.. . I enjoy the science, the flow of water, the fish, the corals, the growth of the corals, and seeing the ocean. In North Dakota, the state that contains the geographic center of North America, there is no getting to the ocean without a roughly 2000 mile trip in any direction.

Ultimately, because I'm allergic to cats, dogs, I hate cleaning up dog poop and hate cat litter boxes. And I found scientific clinical evidence of reef tanks actually decreasing blood pressure, relaxing heart rates, and having a calming effect on the brain. My step son is ADHD, and has high anxiety, so, it will be extremely healthy for him, myself, and my wife. It'll be in the basement, unfortunately, but the basement contains our theater room and bar, so it'll be in a location we have a lot of people over for movies, games, etc. I'm excited for it and both happy and sad that it's in the basement.

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

A few reasons for me, in order....

#1 The fascination of having a mini biotope teaming with dozens if not hundreds of different kinds of life. Everywhere you look there is something interesting to look at.

#2 Calming and relaxation

#3 The science and education aspect

#4 A way to get over my mild phobia of some sea dwelling creatures of various types. lol

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 03:06 AM   #23
Tastee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post
My love of fish started at a very young age and is one of my earliest memories. My grandmother started me a goldfish tank when I was about 4 or 5 and was something we did together, unfortunately she passed away a few years later but it's something that has always stuck with me. A reef tank has just been the natural progression of that. I fell in love with the ocean and all it's beautiful colors and like someone else said can't afford to go to the ocean all the time so next best thing. Plus I enjoy the challenge.
I am in a similar place. Not due to a Grandmother, but I kept FW fish as a very young teenager and have kept them ever since (I am now 50). I also spent my childhood on the water and will never live anywhere that is not on or at least near the coast.

My SW tank is now 6 months old and as in your case is a natural progression. I still also have a small FW tank but my SW one will be the focus from now on.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote