Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2017, 11:03 PM   #1
emixa
Registered Member

Biopellet Reactor

Hello all,

So I want to get folks opinion on which one to get. I first poke I bought was a Bubble Magus. It worked for a little but stopped truly tumbling. I read some posts staying that using sponges will clog them. The design of the BM outta not that great. I read where the types that require water to flow like the Phosban is better. I even read about the Next Reef which allot of their models are now obsolete. So the only ones I see is the Reef Octopus , vertex, of CAD. I am looking for something with true tumble.

Pros and cons are welcome. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice!

emixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 11:36 PM   #2
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emixa View Post
Hello all,

So I want to get folks opinion on which one to get. I first poke I bought was a Bubble Magus. It worked for a little but stopped truly tumbling. I read some posts staying that using sponges will clog them. The design of the BM outta not that great. I read where the types that require water to flow like the Phosban is better. I even read about the Next Reef which allot of their models are now obsolete. So the only ones I see is the Reef Octopus , vertex, of CAD. I am looking for something with true tumble.

Pros and cons are welcome. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your advice!
I have three of these and I absolutely love them.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_Aq...FRISBP-vi.html

The only problem I have with them is that they come with metric slip fittings and I wanted to hard plumb them into my system. I bought the 25mm to 3/4" metric converter from BRS and glued it down. Works great and tumbles like crazy.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:34 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'd recommend doing liquid carbon dosing instead (vinegar or vodka or a combination of both)
Much easier as you have no reactors to clog.. No pumps to run said reactors and don't need to worry about sponges clogging or perfect flowrates,etc....
Just a simple dosing pump to dump in a set amount of vinegar each day..

Unread 12/05/2017, 12:05 PM   #4
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

I've been using an Aquamaxx Biopellet reactor for years. It tumbles the media great with very little flow. It does require cleaning every 6 months or so but that's about the time I add more pellets. Here's a link to it.
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...FRISBP-vi.html

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 01:58 PM   #5
TigeBell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
i've been using an aquamaxx biopellet reactor for years. It tumbles the media great with very little flow. It does require cleaning every 6 months or so but that's about the time i add more pellets. Here's a link to it.
https://www.marinedepot.com/aquamaxx...frisbp-vi.html
+1

Red Sea Reefer 350 | Hydra TwentySix HD
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/tigebell/1
TigeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 02:57 PM   #6
emixa
Registered Member

Quote:
I've been using an Aquamaxx Biopellet reactor for years. It tumbles the media great with very little flow. It does require cleaning every 6 months or so but that's about the time I add more pellets. Here's a link to it.
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx...FRISBP-vi.html
Thanks for the info! SO looking at this model, I see that there cut grooves. So some of the other models, I notice that theirs have a cone or concave shape at the bottom which allows for pellets to not get stuck. Do you find that the pellets get stuck in those crevices?

Unread 12/05/2017, 03:49 PM   #7
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Thanks for the info! SO looking at this model, I see that there cut grooves. So some of the other models, I notice that theirs have a cone or concave shape at the bottom which allows for pellets to not get stuck. Do you find that the pellets get stuck in those crevices?
usually not because there water coming out from those ports/crevices. In all honesty, I don't think those cut grooves do anything, It's more the ports the water is coming out of.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:01 PM   #8
TigeBell
Registered Member

I believe the cut grooves do help move the bio-pellets in a counter clock rotation.

As for the cone, I had a Reef Octopus biopellet reactor and didn't like it because there were dead spot in there that didn't move the bio-pellets around. Using the Aquamaxx reactor, I have not had one issue with them at all and there are no dead spots.

Red Sea Reefer 350 | Hydra TwentySix HD
http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/tigebell/1
TigeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:15 PM   #9
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlasher View Post
I have three of these and I absolutely love them.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Accel_Aq...FRISBP-vi.html
^^Exact same reactor I use. (Used to be branded Hydra aquatics.) I've had it for about 3 years now and it works excellent. The downward flow accelerator and dome shaped bottom keep a nice fluid tumble all the time.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:59 PM   #10
windlasher
Registered Member

Enough? Lol. Maxi jet 800 - running 2 of these.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz83lifpyozd4ih/bio.m4v?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:04 AM   #11
emixa
Registered Member

Quote:
usually not because there water coming out from those ports/crevices. In all honesty, I don't think those cut grooves do anything, It's more the ports the water is coming out of.

Mike,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:07 AM   #12
emixa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeBell View Post
I believe the cut grooves do help move the bio-pellets in a counter clock rotation.

As for the cone, I had a Reef Octopus biopellet reactor and didn't like it because there were dead spot in there that didn't move the bio-pellets around. Using the Aquamaxx reactor, I have not had one issue with them at all and there are no dead spots.
David,

I appreciate your feedback on this. I figured that there must be a reason for the cut grooves for movement.

I was also looking at some on-line videos on the Reefoctopus and notice that it focuses more on (4) sides and that there might be areas (although small) that might not be as fully impacted. Thanks for your feedback.

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:14 AM   #13
emixa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
^^Exact same reactor I use. (Used to be branded Hydra aquatics.) I've had it for about 3 years now and it works excellent. The downward flow accelerator and dome shaped bottom keep a nice fluid tumble all the time.

Brian,

Good to know. I notice that the internal flow or tumble is a bit more than the others where the water comes from the bottom up.

So looking at different models or media, there is mention that the tumble media should not be so rash. I notice that the media tumble is a bit rough or accelerated. Does that make sense? The needed bacteria is supposed to be attached to the media itself. Would this make an affect?

Also, I see that you have a ROTM? Do you have a link to that. I am a bit of a system geek. I always like looking at displays but more important, whats behind the curtain.

Thanks again!

Unread 12/06/2017, 09:16 AM   #14
emixa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlasher View Post
Enough? Lol. Maxi jet 800 - running 2 of these.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz83lifpyozd4ih/bio.m4v?dl=0

Aww man, nice! I appreciate your share. So the same question to yourself. I see that there is alot of tumble. Does that matter? Would the bacteria that is supposed to populate the media be affected in a negative way?

Also, do you have more pictures of your system?

Unread 12/07/2017, 08:00 PM   #15
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Aww man, nice! I appreciate your share. So the same question to yourself. I see that there is alot of tumble. Does that matter? Would the bacteria that is supposed to populate the media be affected in a negative way?

Also, do you have more pictures of your system?
In the middle of a project but I'll post some in a few days.

As for the tumble, BPs are weird. In my experience, If you don't keep them tumbling pretty fast they WILL start to clump. This is probably because of the bacteria on them being sticky.

Unread 01/21/2018, 07:40 AM   #16
Mtnrunner
Registered Member

Anyone tried the Accel Aquatics Biopellet Media Reactors ?

I like the idea of downward flow which seems to avoid the clogging of the small openings found on upward flow designs.

Mtnrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 12:17 AM   #17
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I have the Hydra version which exactly like the model shown I use a Quiet One 1200 pump and I use a small circular magnet on the inside of the reactor and when the pellets start to clump I just move the magnet around on the inside of the reactor.

Be careful not to put too many pellets in, it stripped my tank and caused my Purple Tang to get lateral lines across its head. My Vertex Omega 150 was skimming like a champ I had dried bubbles coming out of the top of the lid.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 02:03 PM   #18
mborn
Registered Member

I use Avast Marine's Spyglass reactor. Works great!

https://avastmarine.com/collections/...ducts/spyglass

mborn is offline   Reply With Quote