Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2018, 06:59 AM   #1
intenseimage
Registered Member

120 tank options

We are getting a new 120rr soon and have a few options to consider in regards to overflows.

A single corner
Dual Corners
Dual Megaflows

What would be the best choice to go with?

I believe the single corner will be "worst" in terms of skimming ability and with only a single drain (not doing an over the back manifold for return) will limit turnover to our basement sump.

The dual overflow options will be equal in drain and return rates but each have their own drawbacks to aquascape and flow.

Opinions?

intenseimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseimage View Post
We are getting a new 120rr soon and have a few options to consider in regards to overflows.

A single corner
Dual Corners
Dual Megaflows

What would be the best choice to go with?

I believe the single corner will be "worst" in terms of skimming ability and with only a single drain (not doing an over the back manifold for return) will limit turnover to our basement sump.

The dual overflow options will be equal in drain and return rates but each have their own drawbacks to aquascape and flow.

Opinions?
I have a single corner overflow, and I am using it as a herbie setup, with a piped over the top return.

Personally, I think dual corners is the better way to go then a single center one? I just feel its a lot easier to scape around when you have that added depth front-and-center, as opposed to losing the back few inches of the tank in the most prime real-estate area of the tank (the center).

But if you are starting fresh and don't already have a tank, and are worried about skimming, maybe look into getting an external overflow installed along the entire top/back of the tank. It doesn't take up any room in the tank, and gives you a lot of freedom with the plumbing in the back. Thats if you have a custom tank build, I'm not sure if you were buying a brand-made one ready to go out of the box.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 07:07 AM   #3
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
Personally, I think dual corners is the better way to go then a single center one? I just feel its a lot easier to scape around when you have that added depth front-and-center, as opposed to losing the back few inches of the tank in the most prime real-estate area of the tank (the center).

But if you are starting fresh and don't already have a tank, and are worried about skimming, maybe look into getting an external overflow installed along the entire top/back of the tank. It doesn't take up any room in the tank, and gives you a lot of freedom with the plumbing in the back. Thats if you have a custom tank build, I'm not sure if you were buying a brand-made one ready to go out of the box.
It will be an off the shelf tank which is why the Dual offset-center Megaflow or Dual Corners are really the only options. The tank is viewable from the right side so also taking into consideration having the overflow blocking some of that viewing panel as well.

Its a tough choice

Unread 01/03/2018, 07:11 AM   #4
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
It will be an off the shelf tank which is why the Dual offset-center Megaflow or Dual Corners are really the only options. The tank is viewable from the right side so also taking into consideration having the overflow blocking some of that viewing panel as well.

Its a tough choice
If its viewable from just one side, you may be alright. I have my 75 gallon single corner overflow with the back completely painted black, as well as the side of the overflow. Even though the overflow HAPPENS to be on the side of the tank thats visible to the room (its in a corner), it doesn't really inhibit looking at it from the side.

However, I can totally see wanting to go with the center megaflow if thats the case.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:24 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

The megaflows make aquascaping really difficult, as mentioned. That is the worst choice of the three.

Of these three choices, I would get the single corner overflow in the left corner, away from the viewing side. I would go against what you said, and make it a Herbie. A single drain won't be able to handle much flow without noise, unless the hole for the drain is large.

Why not go over the back with the return?

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:27 AM   #6
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
The megaflows make aquascaping really difficult, as mentioned. That is the worst choice of the three.

Of these three choices, I would get the single corner overflow in the left corner, away from the viewing side. I would go against what you said, and make it a Herbie. A single drain won't be able to handle much flow without noise, unless the hole for the drain is large.

Why not go over the back with the return?
This tank is replacing a 75 and there is a cutout in the carpeted area where the tank goes that has flooring underneath. With the additional front to back dimension of the 120 we won't have room for the plumbing in the rear

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:34 AM   #7
intenseimage
Registered Member

Another thing to consider ... Any quality differences between Deep Blue (corners) vs I believe Aqueon (megaflows)

Last edited by intenseimage; 01/03/2018 at 08:48 AM.
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:40 AM   #8
hijinks
Registered Member

I got a non-RR 120 and drilled the back glass and used a shadow overflow from synergy. It looks great and doesn't take up any ground real estate.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:40 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Since you're coming out 6 inches, I would come out an extra inch for the plumbing if you can.

If you can't, then I would still do the single corner overflow. Get the biggest holes drilled that you can (1.5" or bigger). Then don't expect to push more than a few hundred gph through the sump. Which is fine, since turnover through the sump doesn't need to be a lot, and most flow in the display should come from powerheads.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 01/03/2018, 08:49 AM   #10
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
Since you're coming out 6 inches, I would come out an extra inch for the plumbing if you can.

If you can't, then I would still do the single corner overflow. Get the biggest holes drilled that you can (1.5" or bigger). Then don't expect to push more than a few hundred gph through the sump. Which is fine, since turnover through the sump doesn't need to be a lot, and most flow in the display should come from powerheads.
Yea definitely cant come out that inch - unfortunately just not possible. Drilling the existing hole in the overflow could be a possibility I suppose ...

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:56 AM   #11
nereefpat
Registered Member

You'll have to see how big of a hole you can order the tank with. Once you buy the tank, the bottom panel will most likely be tempered, and you can't modify it at that point.

Unread 01/03/2018, 08:57 AM   #12
intenseimage
Registered Member

Quote:
You'll have to see how big of a hole you can order the tank with. Once you buy the tank, the bottom panel will most likely be tempered, and you can't modify it at that point.
Noted ... I'll see if I can stop by the shop tonight to verify options

Unread 01/03/2018, 09:01 AM   #13
VoltzNSalt
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijinks View Post
I got a non-RR 120 and drilled the back glass and used a shadow overflow from synergy. It looks great and doesn't take up any ground real estate.
Glass-HolesDOTcom also sells complete kits to drill and install overflows. I put one on a 125 and was very pleased...

VoltzNSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 04:32 PM   #14
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
...The tank is viewable from the right side...
If it has to be through the bottom, and the one side is also open how about one center overflow? surface area should be close to two corners and still be out of the way enough to not obstruct the view.
The collective "they" used to make them that way. Perhaps "they" still do?

Mega anything really sounds like a disappointment.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 07:49 PM   #15
SycoCell
Registered Member

This may not be the actual answer you're looking for, but I have a 120g 6' with dual corner overflows and I have the left side overflow closed off and have for the past year and a half. Haven't had any issues.

Unread 01/04/2018, 03:57 AM   #16
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

In the process of upgrading my 80 to a 120.
Using a Synergy Shadow (ghost) Overflow on one end.
Tank is a 120 Deep Blue. ONLY panels you can drill are the ends.
Build thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2661614

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 11:27 AM   #17
intenseimage
Registered Member

So it looks like with a little creativity we CAN in fact do with a single corner overflow (that will luckily be on the non-viewing side too and do a manifold return over the back!

Unread 01/08/2018, 12:00 PM   #18
nereefpat
Registered Member

Wooohooo! You will be much happier with it that way. More flow + much less noise.

Let us know if you have any questions with the plumbing.