Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2008, 09:03 PM   #26
pusanpa
Registered Member

source: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=478
if you don't need to use all the dosing from one ampoule, what do you do? Prodibio said you can remove the desired amount from the ampoule with a syringe, then put the ampoule upright into a slice of potato, in the fridge for about a week.

pusanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2008, 08:18 PM   #27
bridun22ajl
Registered Member

my tank has been set up for over 2 years and i am starting dosing on monday, should i do it weekly and then slowly reduce to every 15 days?

bridun22ajl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 05:24 PM   #28
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Just ordered the BioClean kit from Marine Depot. It has 6 vials of BioDigest and 6 vials of BioOptum.

That should get me started and then I'll begin the ReefBooster at about 4 weeks out.

Should I continue feeding my corals and fish in my usual manner (fish 3x a day and corals at night)? Also, do I remove my Phosguard reactor now that I'll start the Prodibio? I was told this by someone recently....

What do you guys do?

Thanks!

Dave's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 05:32 PM   #29
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

I have keep my PO4 reactor and my GAC reactor online during dosing.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 06:38 PM   #30
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
I have keep my PO4 reactor and my GAC reactor online during dosing.
So how are you monitoring if you "do" need to take them offline? Most test kits won't give very accurate readings at such "low" levels as delivered by Prodibio or other methods.

I don't want to bleach my corals or possibly kill them even... how do you know?

Unread 12/09/2008, 09:07 PM   #31
cato
New England

I just finished my 6th "dose" of Biodigest on Sat and Bioptim on Sun. I disconnected my PO4 reactor 4 weeks ago. At that time my PO4 was 0.02 via Hanna photometer. I have checked it every week since and my readings have been at 0.01. Just checked it tonight and still at 0.01. I feel I no longer need it and will not waste $$ on the media anymore. No need for it.

Next week I switch to alternating the digest and optim every other week and begin weekly doses of Reefbooster. My corals have lightened slightly over the past 6 weeks. I continue to run GAC and change it monthly. I also dose Zeo aminos on M-W-F and Zeo Coral Vitalizer daily. I feed my corals DT Oyster eggs once/wk and feed fish 1-2x/daily. This is basically my normal feeding regime. I didn't change anything when I began Prodi. I have also been dosing Zeo Phols xtra, K-balance and B-balance the whole time ( I was dosing the Zeo stuff for ~3 months so I didn't stop).

I am very happy with my results in my tank and am looking fwd to the long term improvments over the next 6 mos or so. FWII Prodi is a very slow process if dosed correctly with minimal risk of foul. This is why I went this route vs ZEO or other similar. HTH

BTW it was sooooo hard keeping myself from dosing the booster earlier but I did and could not be more pleased with my results thus far. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: On Hiatus
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 11:34 PM   #32
Ace1
Registered Member

just purchased Bio Clean and reefboosters, but im hearing a lote of confliction information on how to apply it. I have a 34 gallon Red Sea max, so my doses are much smaller than each ampoule, how do i know how much to use?

Also when the glass is broker will it spoil or can i save for next dose?? question applies to (reefbooster & Bio Clean system)

Also i read that your dkh must be below 8 in order to start dosing Bio Clean system, or it can burn your sps...

Can anyone shed some light on this before i start dosing??

My Params as of 12/8/08

Alk = 10.9
PH - 8.0-8.1
Calcium =450
Magnesium = 1450
Phosphates = 0ppm
Nitrates =10-20 ppm
Salinity =1.023-24 (based on calibration fluid at 35ppt.)
Orp = 119

im battling a brown and green algea (diatom bloom during photo periods) and i see some cyano making its way.

I have always had a problem with high N03, im trying the Matrix and denitrate at the moment and it seems to be slowly lowering N03 but not fast enough.. besides i want to eliminate filter media.

thanx

Ace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 11:39 PM   #33
Paul_PSU
Moved On

My alk is 11-12 and I use Biodigest with no issues.

Also check the ampules they say on Biodigest that one amp is good for "UP TO" 1,000 l. So anything up to that amount of total system volume you would use 1 ampule.

Paul_PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2008, 11:39 PM   #34
Ace1
Registered Member

just purchased Bio Clean and reefboosters, but im hearing a lote of confliction information on how to apply it. I have a 34 gallon Red Sea max, so my doses are much smaller than each ampoule, how do i know how much to use?

Also when the glass is broker will it spoil or can i save for next dose?? question applies to (reefbooster & Bio Clean system)

Also i read that your dkh must be below 8 in order to start dosing Bio Clean system, or it can burn your sps...

Can anyone shed some light on this before i start dosing??

My Params as of 12/8/08

Alk = 10.9
PH - 8.0-8.1
Calcium =450
Magnesium = 1450
Phosphates = 0ppm
Nitrates =10-20 ppm
Salinity =1.023-24 (based on calibration fluid at 35ppt.)
Orp = 119

im battling a brown and green algae (diatom bloom during photo periods) and i see some cyano coming also.

I have always had a problem with high N03, im trying the Matrix and denitrate at the moment and it seems to be slowly lowering N03 but not fast enough.. and im looking to eliminate filter media. I want to get started asap, but dont have enought confidence..

thanx

Unread 12/09/2008, 11:47 PM   #35
Ace1
Registered Member

sorry for the double post, but it wasnt showing up on my end for a minute

anyway, that dose amount seems like waay too much,

Unread 12/09/2008, 11:51 PM   #36
Ace1
Registered Member

Also Paul are you using the Bioptim as well??

To me it looks like the Bio Digest will last forever but the bioptim will need replacement in about 3 months..

what would you suggest as a starting point for using bio clean system?

Unread 12/09/2008, 11:59 PM   #37
acpoweradapter
Registered Member

Ace1,
Im going to use it on my 28 gal JBJ. I was planning on using a third of an amp and coving it in plastic and putting it in the fridge to keep it longer.. not sure if it will work but hopefully it will. The nano kit included to much stuff for me to need it. Plus, I dont see a reason why it wouldnt keep in the amp.. its doesnt expire or anything.

Alabama Reefers
acpoweradapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 12:03 AM   #38
Paul_PSU
Moved On

I don't run the complete system. I use Biodigest and dose alcohol.

I use what the box says for Biodigest. 1 amp for up to 264 gallons every 15 days ( I have 105 gallons total). The directions for Bio Trace says 1 amp for up to 52 gallons every 2 days. According to that you would use one amp every 2 days.

Unread 12/10/2008, 12:08 AM   #39
Ace1
Registered Member

acpoweradapter: That sounds like a good idea , but Paul is confusing me because it still doesnt address the issue of using too much, one ampoul in a 34 gallon could be overkill??

Unread 12/10/2008, 01:26 AM   #40
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Well,

Not sure what I'm gonna do? I think I may discontinue the Phosguard that I'm running and just run carbon in my Phosban reactor (instead of both) once I start the Prodibio? Still like to here feedback from the RC masses on that one I guess.

I went and got my Phosphate and Nitrate checked at a LFS since I don't have the kits and lower levels of PO4 never really read out well on home test kits any way. So, here's my params:

Salinity= 1.025
PH= 8.15 - 8-4 (drops low at night just started running a reverse photo period)
Alk= 9.0 dkh
Cal= 410
Mag= 1400
Nitrate= 25(YIKES!)
PO4= .01 (checked with a photometer)

I was a little confused with the high nitrates and pretty much ZERO PO4??? I'm hoping the Prodibio will bring the nitrates down in line with the PO4 and I'll just continue my heavy feeding schedule of fish and corals! I also started dosing the new Aquavitro "Fuel" along with the coral feedings nightly so, we'll see how things pan out.

I am interested in hearing back from anyone dosing Prodibio that's running carbon and a phosphate remover simultaneously? or if they stopped? or whatever.....

Just curious before I start, thanks!

Unread 12/10/2008, 01:54 AM   #41
Ace1
Registered Member

i dont plan to stop running my Phos reactor with the Bio Digest, but i will get all other media out except carbon...
whenever i feel comfortable running prodibio in my system correctly

Unread 12/10/2008, 04:43 AM   #42
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace1
acpoweradapter: That sounds like a good idea , but Paul is confusing me because it still doesnt address the issue of using too much, one ampoul in a 34 gallon could be overkill??
Maybe it's just me then. When directions say "one ampule for up to 1000 l" I take that to mean that if your system is 1 liter or up to 1000 liters that you dose 1 ampule. For me it doesn't get anymore straight forward than that. If you could possibly overdose then they would have said something like " for systems under 50 liters use 1/2 ampule. JMO

You could always email them if don't believe me :

http://www.prodibio.fr/

Unread 12/10/2008, 11:20 AM   #43
acpoweradapter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_PSU
Maybe it's just me then. When directions say "one ampule for up to 1000 l" I take that to mean that if your system is 1 liter or up to 1000 liters that you dose 1 ampule. For me it doesn't get anymore straight forward than that. If you could possibly overdose then they would have said something like " for systems under 50 liters use 1/2 ampule. JMO

You could always email them if don't believe me :

http://www.prodibio.fr/
Thats not really what he means I think. If an entire amp will work for a 1000L then it is a waste for someone to use a whole amp on a small tank when a third of one would do. It would make it cost less because we would only have to buy one amp to last 3 doses. No need to waste the extra. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to dose the whole amp but there is no need to dose it when it won't matter.

acpoweradapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 11:33 AM   #44
SunnyX
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave's Reef
Well,

Not sure what I'm gonna do? I think I may discontinue the Phosguard that I'm running and just run carbon in my Phosban reactor (instead of both) once I start the Prodibio? Still like to here feedback from the RC masses on that one I guess.

I went and got my Phosphate and Nitrate checked at a LFS since I don't have the kits and lower levels of PO4 never really read out well on home test kits any way. So, here's my params:

Salinity= 1.025
PH= 8.15 - 8-4 (drops low at night just started running a reverse photo period)
Alk= 9.0 dkh
Cal= 410
Mag= 1400
Nitrate= 25(YIKES!)
PO4= .01 (checked with a photometer)

I was a little confused with the high nitrates and pretty much ZERO PO4??? I'm hoping the Prodibio will bring the nitrates down in line with the PO4 and I'll just continue my heavy feeding schedule of fish and corals! I also started dosing the new Aquavitro "Fuel" along with the coral feedings nightly so, we'll see how things pan out.

I am interested in hearing back from anyone dosing Prodibio that's running carbon and a phosphate remover simultaneously? or if they stopped? or whatever.....

Just curious before I start, thanks!

As with all bacteria driven systems, you do NOT run any phosphate removers. The phosphate remover will out compete the bacteria for nutrients.

Carbon on the other hand is fine. Everyone should run carbon.

SunnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 11:39 AM   #45
Ace1
Registered Member

Exactly, acpower...... but i have also read that this stuff CAN be overdosed!! and the box and website does say NOT to overdose....

So im just being careful and wanted to know what others were doing, everything is not cut and dry with any business, (Ask the Banks who everybody trust so dearly a few months ago ;-) and Prodibio IS in Business... and they are based out the country.. So Sorry for the paranoia but i just want to get some answers

Unread 12/10/2008, 11:51 AM   #46
Ace1
Registered Member

Sunnyx, What about the high nitrate systems, wouldnt the bacteria feed on that?? as with Daves Reef my N03 is waaay to high but i have no Phos... and i would like to keep it that way.. at least until the bacteria system is in full effect

Unread 12/10/2008, 11:51 AM   #47
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Thanks Sonny... Love your new tank by the way!

On the nitrates, is that unusual to have them so high and the phosphates so low as I mention above? I was a bit surprised at this...

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX
As with all bacteria driven systems, you do NOT run any phosphate removers. The phosphate remover will out compete the bacteria for nutrients.

Carbon on the other hand is fine. Everyone should run carbon.

Unread 12/10/2008, 11:57 AM   #48
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave's Reef
So how are you monitoring if you "do" need to take them offline? Most test kits won't give very accurate readings at such "low" levels as delivered by Prodibio or other methods.
I use a hanna for my PO4.

I would "know" because its not hard to tell when your corals are changing colors especially if you understand your paramenters.

I have never had a coral bleach overnight due to low nutrients. I closely inspect my tank on a daily basis.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity

Last edited by mpoletti; 12/10/2008 at 12:05 PM.
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2008, 12:19 PM   #49
Paul_PSU
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by acpoweradapter
Thats not really what he means I think. If an entire amp will work for a 1000L then it is a waste for someone to use a whole amp on a small tank when a third of one would do. It would make it cost less because we would only have to buy one amp to last 3 doses. No need to waste the extra. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to dose the whole amp but there is no need to dose it when it won't matter.
I was only addressing the overdosing issue cause that is what he was talking about. I understand completely what you say about saving $ and using half an ampule if you have say a 50 gallon system as opposed to a 100 gallon. I was just dealing with adding "too much". I still don't think you can overdose by adding an entire ampule of biodigest every 15 days on a 50 gal system since they tell you that you can use for Nitrates spikes on the same system 1 ampule per 15 gallons + 1 ampule in the filter for a one time treatment.

FWIW I emailed Prodibio and am waiting for a response. I will post it when I get it.

Paul

Unread 12/10/2008, 12:20 PM   #50
Nuuze
Registered Member

Does it matter when you dose whether it's before or after lights or while they are on?

I plan on starting BioDigest, vodka & aminos route for my 200g.

BioDigest every 14 days. Vodka daily (currently 6ml daily) and aminos per instructions. For aminos I will be using Elos, Warner Marine & Brightwell Aquatics.

Last edited by Nuuze; 12/10/2008 at 12:27 PM.
Nuuze is offline   Reply With Quote